Guitar collection of Jimmy Page

hecube

I am pretty sure 10,000 or more is far off the mark. But I don't think anyone really knows, well maybe Jimmy does know, but I can't recall having seen him answer such a question, which is a bit strange considering that there is a shitload of guitar mags interviews with him. I have heard mention of 1600+ guitars, but I don't know where that number comes from - it might be unreliable.

He said in a recent interview he has one of the largest guitar collections in the world but out of those he only uses a select few on a regular basis. That's why one of his solo ideas was to use one of his rare guitars on each track.

I think I once read that Jimmy had a collection of guitars numbering in the 1000s, perhaps in the 10000s.

Anyone here has more hard info on that?

Maybe you're confusing him with Rick Nielsen. He's the one with thousands of guitars.

Maybe you're confusing him with Rick Nielsen. He's the one with thousands of guitars.

Or maybe not. According to Wikipedia's Jimmy Page entry:

"Jimmy Page is reputed to own in excess of 1500 different guitars. Page revealed this rough estimate to BBC Radio 2 presenter Stuart Maconie in June 2005."

If this is true I stand corrected, but Nielsen still probably has more.

Or maybe not. According to Wikipedia's Jimmy Page entry:

"Jimmy Page is reputed to own in excess of 1500 different guitars. Page revealed this rough estimate to BBC Radio 2 presenter Stuart Maconie in June 2005."

I don't think I'm breaking a confidence to disclose at least five are double-necks.

Wow, over a thousand thats awesome. I tell you i would do another tour in Afghanistan getting my ass shot at again just to see those. I just saw Slash state that he only has 90 thats a far cry from the master.

Regards

By the way "SteveAJones" if you have seen those you are one lucky man.

Cav

With him being "Led Wallet" I was always under the impression he didn't have that many, and those that he does have were sometimes gifts or pawn shop guitars.

• Les Paul Custom - this one his dad helped buy after he traded in his Grazzioso Strat.
  • Telecaster - The one from Led Zeppelin I, which I think Jeff Beck gave him.
  • Les Paul #1 - The famous one!
  • Les Paul #2 - Another sunburst, bought in the mid-70's.
  • Les Paul #3 - the burgundy red one, also a Jeff Beck gift.
  • Danelectro - Actually formed from the best parts of two bought at pawn shops.
  • Botswana brown Firm Telecaster -- Composed from two or three different Teles.
  • Pensa-Schur "Outrider" Strat -- In the "Wasting My Time" video
  • Sea blue Stratocaster -- from "In the Evening" and "For Your Life."
  • PRS - another "Outrider" guitar
  • Retuner Les Paul - From the Plant/Page MTV special
  • Martin acoustic
  • Harmony acoustic - Used on Led Zeppelin I
  • Doubleneck Gibson - "Stairway to Heaven" guitar

That's 14. Not really that many for a superstar.

With him being "Led Wallet" I was always under the impression he didn't have that many, and those that he does have were sometimes gifts or pawn shop guitars.

• Les Paul Custom - this one his dad helped buy after he traded in his Grazzioso Strat.
  • Martin acoustic

Just because you can only name 14 doesn't mean he only has 14.

Metallica own several thousand guitars between them....

I don't think I'm breaking a confidence to disclose at least five are double-necks.

I don't think you would be. There is a picture from the O2, where you can plainly see multiple double-necks lined up. I'll see if I can find it.

Edit: Found it, Nech took the pic. Couple of doublenecks on the left.

guitar_army2.JPG

• Martin acoustic

I can name more gutiars that he had besides these..

He deffinatly has more then just these.

• Martin acoustic

this is funny.

Just cause you can name 14 doesnt mean that's all he has / uses!

The two telecasters you mentioned are one in the same. He had it painted brown and installed a b-string bender.

The 70s red LP was not a gift, he bought it from another guitar player.

Jimmy purchased an original three-pickup Gibson Les Paul Black Beauty from Mike Corby of The Baby's for 1,000 pounds cash on December 13 1974. Mike had been jamming on

and off for about ten days with them during rehearsals at Liveware in Ealing. Mike didn't

really want to sell his guitar but Jimmy was very persistent and so the deal was made.

I'm sure he has quite a few. 10,000 is way off though...no sane person would want that many guitars. You would never get to play them all.

That's why I posted the thread. My memory was a bit hazy on that. But approx. 1500 is the figure I think I had read several years ago.

Now that begs the question, if Jimmy has one of the biggest guitar collection in the world, what individual has the biggest?!

BTW, when you have collections that large, I would imagine you need a full-time guitar technician just to do basic day-to-day maintenance...

Iam sure i heard Jimmy say himself in an interview that it was the Red (Custom Colour) Les Paul that was the guitar that got to much taken out of it and lost its quilty of sound, not the Tele. I do beleive he still has that Tele that Jeff Beck gave him.

Also i have heard that Eric Clapton has quite a collection of guitars. Some are historic (old blues legends guitars) and some are his own.

Regards

Cav

I do beleive he still has that Tele that Jeff Beck gave him.

Cav,

I believe he does, too. IIRC, when Jimmy & The Black Crowes played on Late Nite w/Conan O'Brien, Conan kept talking about that guitar and showed it backstage. I'll try and find my VHS tape with that on it to confirm.

Also i have heard that Eric Clapton has quite a collection of guitars. Some are historic (old blues legends guitars) and some are his own.

Regards

Cav

On June 24th, 1999, Eric Clapton's guitar auction was held in Manhattan, New York.

The profits from the auction were donated to Crossroads Centre, a drug and alcohol residential rehabilitation facility. Eric only kept what he needed to work with so even

some of his best were auctioned off

Here is a link with complete details and close up photos of the all the TELECASTERS:

http://www.nymphusa.com/tele/ece.asp

More auction details:

Eric Clapton Guitar Auction at Christie's NY Raises $5,072,350 for the Crossroads Centre

1956 Fender Stratocaster 'Brownie' Realizes $497,500 - A World Auction Record Price

Staff Writer - June 25, 1999

New York, NY -- Christie's June 24 Auction in New York entitled a selection of eric clapton's guitars (in aid of the crossroads centre) generated phenomenal sales figures yesterday - at the close of bidding the 105-Lot auction had raised a staggering $5,072,350. Guitars (and vintage amplifiers) were presented spanning Clapton's thirty-plus years of guitar collecting around the world, including instruments that the guitarist used in the studio and on the road. Clapton entered these guitars into auction and donated his profits from the sale to support the Crossroads Centre, a drug and alcohol residential rehabilitation facility in Antigua, that opened in October of 1998.

Christie's described the sale as 'the largest single-owner sale of guitars associated with one of the most famous living rock artists.' Of the 100 guitars in the auction, particular instruments achieved prices that illustrate the impact Clapton continues to wield as one of the rock world's few living legends. Over 1,000 potential buyers crowded the salesroom, and 80 telephone lines were set up to accommodate phone bids.

The crown jewel of the collection was Lot 105, Clapton's legendary 1956 Fender Stratocaster 'Brownie' (Serial No.12073), which was purchased by an anonymous bidder for $497,500 -- a world auction record price for a guitar. This instrument is pictured on the front cover of Eric Clapton (1970), and was used extensively to record Derek and the Dominos' Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs (1970), including the title track. The guitar had been (modestly) estimated at $80,000 - $100,000. The auction managed to shatter its pre-sale catalogue price estimates across the board.

Another case in point was Lot 103, a 1954 Fender Stratocaster (pictured below) that Clapton used from the mid-70s onward for slide, stage and recording work, which was only estimated at $20,000 - $30,000. The guitar wound up selling for $211,500 to Michael J. Malone of AEI Music.

Clapton had also entered his 1974 Martin 000-28 (Lot 96), his chief guitar throughout the 1970s, which the guitarist described as "very important" to him (see picture on previous page). An anonymous New York musician paid $173,000 for the privilege of owning it. This steel-string acoustic guitar was estimated at $12,000-$18,000.

Also up for auction was one of the most valuable production guitars in history - an extremely-rare 1958 Gibson Explorer (Lot 92) - which was one of only 19 released commercially in that year. Clapton acquired the guitar in Atlanta in the early-1980s, and used it during the ARMS concert at The Royal Albert Hall, London, on September 21, 1983. No estimate was provided in the catalogue, though it should come as no surprise that this guitar brought in a cool $134,000.

Actor Michael J. Fox bid by telephone and obtained two instruments - a circa-1949 Gibson-125 (Lot 32) for $36,800, and a circa-1930s National Duolian (Lot 94) for $42,500. In commenting on his purchase, Fox cited his admiration for Clapton and his efforts to assist the Crossroads Centre. Other instruments of note, and prices realized -

• Lot 62 - 1986 Fender Stratocaster Eric Clapton Signature Model (prototype) - $107,000
  • Lot 104 - 1952 Fender Stratocaster (a gift from Carl Radle) - $101,500
  • Lot 98 - 1956 Fender Stratocaster, used on Just One Night, Slowhand a.o. - $90,500
  • Lot 46 - 1959 Gibson ES-335TD (used on 1994-5 Blues Tour) - $79,500
  • Lot 58 - 1991 Fender Stratocaster Eric Clapton "Blackie" Signature Model - $77,300
  • Lot 83 - 1956 Gibson ES-350TN, as seen in Hail! Hail! Rock 'n' Roll (1986) - $62,000
  • Lot 101 - 1930s D'Angelico electric guitar - $55,000
  • Lot 102 - 1930s D'Angelico Excel electric guitar - $42,000
  • Lot 23 - 1960s Coral Sitar - $36,000

I think Clapton may have acquired the '58 Explorer from Jeff Carlisi (.38 Special) or another private collector, who is from here in Atlanta. Jeff's got a few rare Explorers. I'll check and see if I can get confirmation.

R B)

Archived