Guitar collection of Jimmy Page

hecube

Does anyone still have that photo that was in the Forums (maybe on the old board now that I think of it) of Jimmy's guitar collection? This guy who posted the photo was an engineer at Criteria Studios in Miami; he worked there when Messrs. Pagey and Coverdale were recording.

It's hard to stop once you get started (buying guitars). Let that be a warning to you young people! :) I saw Nancy Wilson on tv last night playing a heartbreakingly gorgeous Epiphone Les Paul with a Bigsby tremolo -- and I am deeply covetous:

guitr.jpg

Does anyone still have that photo that was in the Forums (maybe on the old board now that I think of it) of Jimmy's guitar collection? This guy who posted the photo was an engineer at Criteria Studios in Miami; he worked there when Messrs. Pagey and Coverdale were recording.

Yeah, he actually posted a few photos on the old board, FO. Here's a selection of them:

pagesguitars2.jpg

pagesguitars3.jpg

pagesguitars4.jpg

pagesguitars5.jpg

And finally, this:

songchart.jpg

Cav,

I believe he does, too. IIRC, when Jimmy & The Black Crowes played on Late Nite w/Conan O'Brien, Conan kept talking about that guitar and showed it backstage. I'll try and find my VHS tape with that on it to confirm.

Yes you are right, i have it on VHS tape too and just watched it. He mentioned it was just laying around when Conan spotted it.

On June 24th, 1999, Eric Clapton's guitar auction was held in Manhattan, New York.

The profits from the auction were donated to Crossroads Centre, a drug and alcohol residential rehabilitation facility. Eric only kept what he needed to work with so even

some of his best were auctioned off

Here is a link with complete details and close up photos of the all the TELECASTERS:

http://www.nymphusa.com/tele/ece.asp

More auction details:

Eric Clapton Guitar Auction at Christie's NY Raises $5,072,350 for the Crossroads Centre

1956 Fender Stratocaster 'Brownie' Realizes $497,500 - A World Auction Record Price

Staff Writer - June 25, 1999

New York, NY -- Christie's June 24 Auction in New York entitled a selection of eric clapton's guitars (in aid of the crossroads centre) generated phenomenal sales figures yesterday - at the close of bidding the 105-Lot auction had raised a staggering $5,072,350. Guitars (and vintage amplifiers) were presented spanning Clapton's thirty-plus years of guitar collecting around the world, including instruments that the guitarist used in the studio and on the road. Clapton entered these guitars into auction and donated his profits from the sale to support the Crossroads Centre, a drug and alcohol residential rehabilitation facility in Antigua, that opened in October of 1998.

Christie's described the sale as 'the largest single-owner sale of guitars associated with one of the most famous living rock artists.' Of the 100 guitars in the auction, particular instruments achieved prices that illustrate the impact Clapton continues to wield as one of the rock world's few living legends. Over 1,000 potential buyers crowded the salesroom, and 80 telephone lines were set up to accommodate phone bids.

The crown jewel of the collection was Lot 105, Clapton's legendary 1956 Fender Stratocaster 'Brownie' (Serial No.12073), which was purchased by an anonymous bidder for $497,500 -- a world auction record price for a guitar. This instrument is pictured on the front cover of Eric Clapton (1970), and was used extensively to record Derek and the Dominos' Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs (1970), including the title track. The guitar had been (modestly) estimated at $80,000 - $100,000. The auction managed to shatter its pre-sale catalogue price estimates across the board.

Another case in point was Lot 103, a 1954 Fender Stratocaster (pictured below) that Clapton used from the mid-70s onward for slide, stage and recording work, which was only estimated at $20,000 - $30,000. The guitar wound up selling for $211,500 to Michael J. Malone of AEI Music.

Clapton had also entered his 1974 Martin 000-28 (Lot 96), his chief guitar throughout the 1970s, which the guitarist described as "very important" to him (see picture on previous page). An anonymous New York musician paid $173,000 for the privilege of owning it. This steel-string acoustic guitar was estimated at $12,000-$18,000.

Also up for auction was one of the most valuable production guitars in history - an extremely-rare 1958 Gibson Explorer (Lot 92) - which was one of only 19 released commercially in that year. Clapton acquired the guitar in Atlanta in the early-1980s, and used it during the ARMS concert at The Royal Albert Hall, London, on September 21, 1983. No estimate was provided in the catalogue, though it should come as no surprise that this guitar brought in a cool $134,000.

Actor Michael J. Fox bid by telephone and obtained two instruments - a circa-1949 Gibson-125 (Lot 32) for $36,800, and a circa-1930s National Duolian (Lot 94) for $42,500. In commenting on his purchase, Fox cited his admiration for Clapton and his efforts to assist the Crossroads Centre. Other instruments of note, and prices realized -

• Lot 62 - 1986 Fender Stratocaster Eric Clapton Signature Model (prototype) - $107,000
  • Lot 104 - 1952 Fender Stratocaster (a gift from Carl Radle) - $101,500
  • Lot 98 - 1956 Fender Stratocaster, used on Just One Night, Slowhand a.o. - $90,500
  • Lot 46 - 1959 Gibson ES-335TD (used on 1994-5 Blues Tour) - $79,500
  • Lot 58 - 1991 Fender Stratocaster Eric Clapton "Blackie" Signature Model - $77,300
  • Lot 83 - 1956 Gibson ES-350TN, as seen in Hail! Hail! Rock 'n' Roll (1986) - $62,000
  • Lot 101 - 1930s D'Angelico electric guitar - $55,000
  • Lot 102 - 1930s D'Angelico Excel electric guitar - $42,000
  • Lot 23 - 1960s Coral Sitar - $36,000

Clapton also had another auction in 2004 where blackie, the red 335, and Stevie Ray Vaughan's Lenny guitar were sold. Blackie became the the most expensive electric guitar ever, pulling in like 900,000 by Guitar Center. Lenny was bought for like 600,000.

And finally, this:

The setlist seems to list every song from the C/P album, although there are a few interesting things about it:

- Pride And Joy (spelled as "P n Goy" -- huh??)

- a song called "Nice n Slow" (probably "Easy Does It", right?)

- the 2nd to last song looks like it's called "Goole By Some". Huh? Is that a nickname for "Shake My Tree"?

Jimmy purchased an original three-pickup Gibson Les Paul Black Beauty from Mike Corby of The Baby's for 1,000 pounds cash on December 13 1974. Mike had been jamming on

and off for about ten days with them during rehearsals at Liveware in Ealing. Mike didn't

really want to sell his guitar but Jimmy was very persistent and so the deal was made.

steve. it was the red les paul that jimmy bought of the fella in the babys. there was an article about it in one of the recent mags

steve. it was the red les paul that jimmy bought of the fella in the babys. there was an article about it in one of the recent mags

That's true, but it isn't THE cherry red LP - Page played that on stage on the '73 tour (ie before the guy from the Baby's sold him a guitar) & also he claims to have sold him a 1952 guitar when there are plenty of visible details on the cherry red guitar that date it as definitely not a '50s instrument.

That's true, but it isn't THE cherry red LP - Page played that on stage on the '73 tour (ie before the guy from the Baby's sold him a guitar) & also he claims to have sold him a 1952 guitar when there are plenty of visible details on the cherry red guitar that date it as definitely not a '50s instrument.

the red LP that Page uses is not a 50s -- definately a 60s or 70s body.

There is an interesting thread that was going on over in the Les Paul forum, that some guy there is positive that he sold Jimmy a red LP in 74 in London. Page came to the guys house and bargained with him and the sale was made -- the guy has a receipt of the transaction and everything, and it was dated in 1974. But obviously, as mentioned, Page DID play a red LP with a 60s or 70s body in New York in 1973 during WLL. And its obvious from TSRTS footage that this wasnt the studio footage -- it is live at MSG.

Furthermore, i am quite sure that the red LP mentioned that Page played at MSG (and here and there thereafter) is the one that he installed a B string bender into. Which would make this the one he played on Kashmir at the O2. The question now becomes -- have we seen the red LP guitar Page purchased in 1974?

the red LP that Page uses is not a 50s -- definately a 60s or 70s body.

There is an interesting thread that was going on over in the Les Paul forum, that some guy there is positive that he sold Jimmy a red LP in 74 in London. Page came to the guys house and bargained with him and the sale was made -- the guy has a receipt of the transaction and everything, and it was dated in 1974. But obviously, as mentioned, Page DID play a red LP with a 60s or 70s body in New York in 1973 during WLL. And its obvious from TSRTS footage that this wasnt the studio footage -- it is live at MSG.

Furthermore, i am quite sure that the red LP mentioned that Page played at MSG (and here and there thereafter) is the one that he installed a B string bender into. Which would make this the one he played on Kashmir at the O2. The question now becomes -- have we seen the red LP guitar Page purchased in 1974?

I read somewhere and i will try to find the article but iam sure it said that the RED (Which was supposedly a special mixed custom red for page) was a 1970 Les Paul. In this same article it said that this was also the guitar that had to much "taken out" of it and damaged the sound quilty which deemed it useless for Page after only a very short amount of use.

Regards

Cav

Iam sure i heard Jimmy say himself in an interview that it was the Red (Custom Colour) Les Paul that was the guitar that got to much taken out of it and lost its quilty of sound, not the Tele. I do beleive he still has that Tele that Jeff Beck gave him.

Also i have heard that Eric Clapton has quite a collection of guitars. Some are historic (old blues legends guitars) and some are his own.

Regards

Cav

You remember correctly. Here are some details about the red LP:

# 1973 Gibson Les Paul Standard

# Used on-stage from July 1973 to the present.

# A Parsons/White B-Bender was added post-Zeppelin and Jimmy thought it ruined the tone because of all the wood that was removed

# Specs:

Body: Single sharp cutaway solid mahogany, bound carved maple top

Finish: Cherry red(custom color)

Neck: Mahogany

Fingerboard: Rosewood w/ pearl trapezoid inlay

Frets: 22

Headstock: Blackface with pearl logo inlay

Tuners: Kluson, 3-per-side

Hardware: Nickel

Pickguard: Raised cream acrylic

Pickups: 2 Seymour Duncans

Controls: 2 volume/2 tone controls, 3-position switch

This info being taken from Achilles Last Stand

B)

Jimmy purchased an original three-pickup Gibson Les Paul Black Beauty from Mike Corby of The Baby's for 1,000 pounds cash on December 13 1974. Mike had been jamming on

and off for about ten days with them during rehearsals at Liveware in Ealing. Mike didn't

really want to sell his guitar but Jimmy was very persistent and so the deal was made.

He must own the best Gibson collection ever.

I think I once read that Jimmy had a collection of guitars numbering in the 1000s, perhaps in the 10000s.

Anyone here has more hard info on that?

Wow!

If that's true, he would need a couple of full time employees to look after them.

Hell, i'm open for it.

Wouldn't even have to pay me!

• 8 years later...
6 hours ago, Adam1 said:

Do we know if Jimmy ever played a Les Paul Jr in the 70s ? 

No he did not, and that LP jnr in the other thread, it was never played by Page. Then there is all that childish scratching,  Give up man you're on a loser with this one. 

Jimmy's #3 LP, the red one, was actually not really red though it was supposed to be. That guitar was originally a gold top, but was painted directly over the original finish with the red paint. Instead of the color coming out red, it came out a funky / weird purple-red hybrid which makes the guitar very distinctive looking. I for one am glad it turned out this way as I have never seen another finish like this anywhere and I think it's Page's best looking LP. Of course because of the year of manufacture Gibson purists tend to ignore the 1969-1985 LP's as Norlin and sub-standard due to the pancake body design, three piece neck, and Nashville style headstock. However, many guitarists seek these baby's out because of their unique tonal properties. I love this guitar, it looks unique and has a sound all its own. Jimmy's #3 has always been my favorite of his LP's.

I'm really surprised that Jimmy would use a b-bender on a LP seeing as it was developed and used almost exclusively on Telecasters (I always thought they were strictly a Telecaster gadget). Im sure it's common knowledge the maroon/oxblood colored Telecaster had a b-bender installed. Does anyone know when it was installed? I'm thinking he used it on For Your Life, and probably earlier, so one would assume it was during the time of Physical Graffiti. Any thoughts?

5 hours ago, Slickrick63 said:

I'm really surprised that Jimmy would use a b-bender on a LP seeing as it was developed and used almost exclusively on Telecasters (I always thought they were strictly a Telecaster gadget). Im sure it's common knowledge the maroon/oxblood colored Telecaster had a b-bender installed. Does anyone know when it was installed? I'm thinking he used it on For Your Life, and probably earlier, so one would assume it was during the time of Physical Graffiti. Any thoughts?

The Parsons-White b-Bender was not installed until late 76' on the Tele. It was not used on PG or on TYG originally. Jimmy used a Strat on FYL studio version.

9 hours ago, JTM said:

No he did not, and that LP jnr in the other thread, it was never played by Page. Then there is all that childish scratching,  Give up man you're on a loser with this one. 

What happened to his post? I wanted to look at the pictures again

On 4/9/2008 at 6:59 PM, mos6507 said:

He said in a recent interview he has one of the largest guitar collections in the world but out of those he only uses a select few on a regular basis. That's why one of his solo ideas was to use one of his rare guitars on each track.

He doesn't even come close to Billy Gibbons.

8 hours ago, Slickrick63 said:

For Your Life = Fender Stratocaster

Jimmy used a telecaster on Ten Years Gone in the studio (you can hear him switch the pickups in the quite section) but the b-bender (to my ears) was not employed on that track. (if it was installed in 1974)

First time Jimmy used the b-bender was the 1977 tour so odds are he made the change in 1976.

• 2 months later...

It is to my understanding that Jimmy used the Lake Placid Blue Strat on "For Your Life".....the same Strat that he used for "In The Evening" at Knebworth. I don't know if he used a Strat for the "For Your Life" solo.

I am pretty sure he used that Strat on "Hots On For Nowhere" at least for the solo due to tremolo usage.

1 hour ago, ThreeSticks said:

It is to my understanding that Jimmy used the Lake Placid Blue Strat on "For Your Life".....the same Strat that he used for "In The Evening" at Knebworth. I don't know if he used a Strat for the "For Your Life" solo.

I am pretty sure he used that Strat on "Hots On For Nowhere" at least for the solo due to tremolo usage.

Yes, it is the Stratocaster for For Your Life (riffs and solo), In the Evening and Hots on for Nowhere (solo) . (Also Candy Store Rock)

It's interesting that Jimmy used a Strat so much during the Presence sessions. I just always associate him with a Les Paul, but with some of the tracks requiring a tremolo arm, and Strat needed to be used. To this day, seeing him play that Lake Placid Blue Strat at Knebworth just seems odd. I have no idea if that Strat had a Floyd Rose type device on it. The problem with tremolo arm guitars in the 70's is that you'd hit the whammy bar, and the guitar would just go out of tune. A lot of Jimmy's "In The Evening" solos in 1979 and 1980 sound as if they are a bit out of tune.

Archived