Songs left in the vault

Cav

I heard Jimmy state on a radio interview around the time of the Page & Plant tours that there is no more undiscovered Zep tunes left in there vaults, but there may be a few songs with all the music laid down. Jimmy goes on to say that he does not think that Robert would lay down the vocals for these. First i was wondering if anyone here knows of these tunes or if they still exist? I think if they do it would be a great starting point for a future album if it were ever planned. I wonder if Robert would embrace the vocal challenge.

Regards

I don't think they would go back and finish off old things. If they were to record pre-existing tunes, they would start recording from scratch.

But I think it's much more likely that they would just start jamming and writing completely new songs. Still pretty unlikely that it would happen though.

Some of these possibilities are discussed in the Zeppelin Mysteries thread.

It's worth noting here Jimmy and Michael Lee recorded a number of instrumental concepts for a third Page/Plant album which never materialized. Some of these could be applied towards an album project. However, given that Robert was disinterested in the material ten years ago it's probably wishful thinking they reflect a musical direction he would wish to move in the future.

In the extremely remote (say ten million to one odds) chance an attempt is ever made at a new Zeppelin album I think they'd essentially have to start from scratch. I don't see them having the time or inclination to do so.

Maybe not, and god knows i would love to hear what they all could come up with today. That said though the Beatles layed down the music in the 90's for "Free as a Bird" with John's voice from a old track. I do think that it would be cool to put something like that together .

Regards

Maybe not, and god knows i would love to hear what they all could come up with today. That said though the Beatles layed down the music in the 90's for "Free as a Bird" with John's voice from a old track. I do think that it would be cool to put something like that together .

Regards

It would be nice for Jimmy to polish up the often rumored alternate Zep IV with any left over tracks,demos,sound checks,out takes etc.

I've read somewhere that there are 2 named tracks in the vaults ; " St Tristan's Sword" and "Lost in Space".

What about "Fire"? That was a kick-ass number played IIRC at the Clearwater Castle rehearsals.

As far as we know, there was never a proper studio recording of this song. I doubt that even the Clearwell Castle master tapes sound good enough to officially release them.

As far as we know, there was never a proper studio recording of this song. I doubt that even the Clearwell Castle master tapes sound good enough to officially release them.

Surly jimmy,robert and jonesie would have picked the best songs when they released CODA; there for; if there is any songs remaining they can't be very good or all 3 surviving band member dont like something about a song which is why they won't release them?although jimmy and jones must have an album each from there solo careers which could (if they worked on them)be the "stepping stones" to a new zepplin album.

I think that if there was chemistry, the wouldn't rely on old stuff. Sure a riff here and there which has been stored away and not used, but I very much doubt they would go back and say 'lets finish this one off'

... or he could call it a "Jimmy Page" solo record with special guests: Robert Plant, JPJ, Jason Bonham and a few other surprises (with pre-recorded Bonzo material like the Beatles did with "Free As A Bird" in their anthology set years ago) , The Black Crowes, Clapton, Jeff Beck, Eric Johnson, and who knows who else???.

This might actually work better to get Plant in to do some studio work with the rest of the "members" of Zeppelin. He'd feel more comfortable doing that as he's done stuff in the studio with Page for the Sun Sessions project and a few other things in the last few years or so.

From there, let's just see if they would take it out on the road (as this could spawn some other "opportunities and one-offs".)

I think if Page just pressed Plant to do a reunion tour or album under the Zeppelin name, it wouldn't have much of a positive outcome (as Plant has stated that he doesn't want to look back much)...

R B)

First thing Jimmy may have a album full of stuff but i really think all the members need to get together and get the "Zeppelin" juices flowing for it to be truely Zeppelin thing. Otherwise i would just think it would be 3 solo artists bringing some solo stuff. I don't disagree that those ideas may be a good starting point, but nothing more.

Also it kills me to hear that Robert does not want to look back to the past. The past is what created him. I love Robert so don't get me wrong, but if Zep never happened and he just became part of so/so band do we really think he would be even remembered today? I mean other then the new album most of Roberts fan base goes to see him based on his Zep fame and not that he has been writting great albums all these years.To forget the past is only to set you up for failure in the future. I really think that Robert has forgotten how to let it come naturally when it comes to being a rockstar. If you watch the old Zep footage you see a natural and comfortable Robert danceing and moving on stage as if he were a pagen god. Now a days he moves on stage with the same set of practiced moves from the 80's "Tall Cool One" video. Another one who suffers from the same practied routine is Mick Jagger. It seems somehow they forgot that "It" factor that made them who they are. I think that Robert shoud get back to the basics, join Zep and get back the crown he deserves.

Thats my rant

Regards

Cav

Also it kills me to hear that Robert does not want to look back to the past. The past is what created him. I love Robert so don't get me wrong, but if Zep never happened and he just became part of so/so band do we really think he would be even remembered today? I mean other then the new album most of Roberts fan base goes to see him based on his Zep fame and not that he has been writting great albums all these years.To forget the past is only to set you up for failure in the future. I really think that Robert has forgotten how to let it come naturally when it comes to being a rockstar. If you watch the old Zep footage you see a natural and comfortable Robert danceing and moving on stage as if he were a pagen god. Now a days he moves on stage with the same set of practiced moves from the 80's "Tall Cool One" video.

Another point of view: Robert Plant probably reflects on the past all the time, for it is a past he helped to create. However, he obviously feels neither compelled nor inclined to relive it for the sake of other people fantasies. His fan base has arguably diminished, but the remaining fan's depth of loyalty and appreciation is as strong as ever.

If you watch very old Zeppelin footage you'll see a young man not so confident and

self-assured. Becoming a Golden God takes both time and talent! I cannot think of a

single contemporary of his who has continued to evolve as a performer to the degree

he has. The mystery of the quotient is he is known as rock n roll singer but he moved on into other musical directions years ago and is now something else completely.

I think robert would be more likely to call it a Zepp album, if italready had Bonzo on it, no? Because then it would be all four of the Zepp members. i dont think a new Zepp album is a good idea, make anew album call it soemthing else, like a Page album or PPJ album, but not Zepp. Tour as Zepp, call the album something else. or just do one new song and call it Zepp, but I think a whole album is too much to ask. do a tour, play all members solo stuff(like P&P did) and no Stairway!!!! Play Shake my Tree and Calling to You and Burning down One Side and Wait for You and maybe The Only One, mix it up make it more interesting for Robert, since he such a baby about it.

Another point of view: Robert Plant probably reflects on the past all the time, for it is a past he helped to create. However, he obviously feels neither compelled nor inclined to relive it for the sake of other people fantasies. His fan base has arguably diminished, but the remaining fan's depth of loyalty and appreciation is as strong as ever.

If you watch very old Zeppelin footage you'll see a young man not so confident and

self-assured. Becoming a Golden God takes both time and talent! I cannot think of a

single contemporary of his who has continued to evolve as a performer to the degree

he has. The mystery of the quotient is he is known as rock n roll singer but he moved on into other musical directions years ago and is now something else completely.

I agree with you on some points yet over the years Robert has played the Zep card whenever it suited him.Weather it be P&P or singing a number of Zep tunes to fill in a solo set. Yet it always seems on Roberts terms, and not what may be good for the band. I mean P&P was really just a Zep reform minus JPJ. The sets consisted of 80% Zep stuff and yet when Robert wanted to call it a day that was it. Now he has that right but it seems like a power trip that he seems to enjoy wielding whenever he sees fit as if he needs prove he's the boss.Lastly on this point he speaks of there needing to be magic to do it again yet whenever there was a need to use Zep as a tool or a solo album needed promoting he feel back on it. I really feel bad for Jimmy who pours his life blood into keeping the memory and the music alive, and yet it seems that Robert uses him and the music for whatever he sees fit at the time.

In the early days Robert was young and maybe not as confident as he became but after Zep he changed and became more "MTV'ed" and did not have the presence he had. Now time does change people and so does money but you know Jimmy and JPJ for that matter don't seemed to have changed atleast from a public standpoint. Robert lacks the energy, commitment and sheer drive he had when performing the music. Now watching Jimmy today is like watching Jimmy 30 odd years ago. The same energy passion and plain love of playing those tunes.This coupled along with the fact that he still looks so cool and natural doing it only seals the deal for me. The time is a ticking away and i think that maybe Robert should want to feel one more time what it was like all those years ago to be hungry to be the best.

Regards

Cav

In the extremely remote (say ten million to one odds) chance an attempt is ever made at a new Zeppelin album I think they'd essentially have to start from scratch. I don't see them having the time or inclination to do so.

Eating your words now?

Hi all,

Well put lad,is that 100 pints I owe you?? :D

Here is another: would Robert be where he is if not for Led Zeppelin?Don't think so,but he would have made it because of his talent,IMVHO.

Interesting point.If one looks at the DVD,that is true,the lad could sing and at his age did he(or anyone else for that matter)really know where this was heading?Look at the Danemark,excuse please,Denmark and the RTH,he is looking around,at Jimmy,Bonzo.this is not a dig on him,nor the band.But there is a sense that he needed his mates,and they in turn needed him,...

They all felt it before, ever onward,and the three of them have,....

KB(what do I know?!)

knowing now that Page, JPJ and Jason got together last week to jam, it is very exciting to think about the possibilities (perhaps some songs and/or ideas from the vault) that Page brings to the table (to include Bonzo in a song or two) maybe with Jason playing along with his dad on a song or two (like Nat King Cole with his daughter, Natalie). These are the things dreams are made of.

We'll wait and see what transpires.

I'll put any "new" Jimmy, JPJ and Jason meeting/gathering stuff to those threads.

R B)

Archived