Gallows Pole intro.

Ramci

I would guess that he is sitting a little further away from the microphone while he is playing the acoustic. He always experimented a lot with mic placement where more musicians would usuallyjust get as close to the mic as they could.

I can't find the interview at the moment, but my understanding is that for Zeppelin III, Jimmy had a condenser mic in the guitar. Just shoved it into the soundhole and got on with it. I'm fairly certain what you're describing was done at the board. I don't think the whole mic placement thing applies to his acoustic guitar on the albums. I'm pretty sure that was all very straightforward.

I can't find the interview at the moment, but my understanding is that for Zeppelin III, Jimmy had a condenser mic in the guitar. Just shoved it into the soundhole and got on with it. I'm fairly certain what you're describing was done at the board. I don't think the whole mic placement thing applies to his acoustic guitar on the albums. I'm pretty sure that was all very straightforward.

That was standard practice back in the day, so thats prolly right. The mic placement thing is more for the electric playin.

I think it's a little equalization trick. To do the same kinda thing, switch around and listen to all the eq defaults in whatever media player you use.

Archived