So what'll the opener be?

To open the 2+ hour frenzy at the O2 in two weeks, what do you think it'll be? I think from past information, a general knowledge of zep, and recent information from the band --- we can narrow it down to a possible few:

Rock and Roll

Train Kept a Rollin

The Song Remains the Same

Good Times Bad Times

Houses of the Holy

Wearing and Tearing

Celebration Day

The Wanton Song

My money goes on either Rock and Roll or Good Times. HOWEVER, I have this feeling that it may be an opener we are not used to --- and seeing as how Page said that the first song they played together a few months ago was Houses of the Holy, I would not be surprised if that was it. Actually it'd make for a nice opener.

Your thoughts? Do you think it will be a track not mentioned above?

To open the 2+ hour frenzy at the O2 in two weeks, what do you think it'll be? I think from past information, a general knowledge of zep, and recent information from the band --- we can narrow it down to a possible few:

Rock and Roll

Train Kept a Rollin

The Song Remains the Same

Good Times Bad Times

Houses of the Holy

Wearing and Tearing

Celebration Day

The Wanton Song

My money goes on either Rock and Roll or Good Times. HOWEVER, I have this feeling that it may be an opener we are not used to --- and seeing as how Page said that the first song they played together a few months ago was Houses of the Holy, I would not be surprised if that was it. Actually it'd make for a nice opener.

Your thoughts? Do you think it will be a track not mentioned above?

I'm thinking "The Song Remains The Same."

B)

I'm thinking one should have to pass a search function test before being enabled.

if you are referring to me making this thread -- nice try, but there really isnt a thread talking about what the possibilities are and what everyone thinks. While I DID use the search function before starting this thread, i found the closest thing to my idea was someone saying the opener would be Stairway, and someone saying the opener would be Carouselambra. Thats what I found, so I didnt find it inappropriate to start this thread.

I am saying, that most likely, its gonna be one of the 8 or 9 songs i listed. Which is a different idea.

Jason Bonham, while in rehearsals, said it will be Good Times Bad Times.

Refer to "Set List" thread to catch up on the debate.

Thanks SteveAjones, I am aware of jason's quote. However, seeing as how Page will most probably be the one to draw up the setlist order, I wouldnt take GTBT to the bank. Not saying Jason would lie, but I would only be sure of it if Page said it, and he didnt.

And even if GTBT was decided as the opener when Jason gave the interview, who's to say it hasnt been changed since then?

Why would anyone want to know the setlist -- don't you want to be surprised?

Anyway, I have it on personal authority from Jimmy Page's cat that the opening song will be "Hot Dog"!

i absolutely want to be surprised. to tell you the truth i was more pissed than excited when i found out they are playing For Your Life. That would have surprised the shit out of me in a very very good way (its one of my fav guitar solos) and now I am kinda mad that I know its gonna be played.

However, there's still nothing wrong with talking about what the opener might be! And like I said, while it may be true, I wouldnt take Jason's quote about GTBT to the bank.

Anyway, I have it on personal authority from Jimmy Page's cat that the opening song will be "Hot Dog"!

Tosh, tosh! We all know it'll be a 76-minute rendition of Bron-Yr-Aur Stomp followed by an encore of Stairway played thrice over and then a 17-minute improvised tribute to the works of the little-known musician Wazzy Too-Monzle Kai-Chi the Eighth.

I think opening with -the rover would great, but anything would be great...-the ocean, houses of the holy, or even a bigger song like -kashmir, like they did on the -atlantic 40th in 88. They probably wouldnt use that for an opener again.

:hysterical: I'm hoping for 'Bring It On Bone' or 'Hats Off (To Roy Barker)' but more probably it'll be 'Black Dog'.

i absolutely want to be surprised. to tell you the truth i was more pissed than excited when i found out they are playing For Your Life. That would have surprised the shit out of me in a very very good way (its one of my fav guitar solos) and now I am kinda mad that I know its gonna be played.

However, there's still nothing wrong with talking about what the opener might be! And like I said, while it may be true, I wouldnt take Jason's quote about GTBT to the bank.

zep41, this is a nice thread and don't loose that excitement. I agree no one knows what the opener will be but whatever it is it will the sweetest song you've ever heard. :yay:

It's going to be 'Good Times Bad Times'. It's a perfect fit because it allows them to

take the stage and get their feet wet through the opening stacatto, drum beat and

bass line. Then they're on their own. There aren't any high notes in it either, which, again, affords Robert Plant an opportunity to get settled in for the night. There's a reason it won't be, say, The Immigrant Song' or 'Black Dog'.

I'd think The Wanton Song is a good shot.......I'd love them to open with Rock&Roll.

The Wanton Song was an opening number throughout '95. If they open with Rock And Roll the contrast between now and 1973 will be immediately striking, and not in a good

way. It's Gonna Be Good Times Bad Times or Doo Doo A Do Do.

Jason Bonham, while in rehearsals, said it will be Good Times Bad Times.

Refer to "Set List" thread to catch up on the debate.

Are you in the band? Debating with Jimmy and Robert? If so, I gladly bow to your knowledge. Otherwise I would think that since they have opened with it before, it is a possibility.

^ If it came down to them choosing -good times bad times or -rock and roll, i would think they'd definately go with -good times bad times.

With -page/plant choosing to open with -the wanton song in 95, it was such a good choice. This being a one off show under the name -led zeppelin, it could be one of the bigger numbers that have been mentioned as an opener, or they could be focusing on it being an all electric 2 hour rock show and playing many songs they never played. Whatever it will be, it'll reflect what they have been playing in rehearsals, what sounds good to them and has got to be an interesting set list with such a catalogue of songs. Just hearing about them playing -good times bad times and -for your life is so great. Hopefully they play more material they never played, or didnt play often as -led zeppelin.

Starting with In The Light would be awesome. But respecting the tradition of Led Zeppelin it should be RnR. However starting with the first song on the first album is probably how it´s gonna be...

In the light would be awesome.

If page/plant/jones were playing regularly again, i think -walters walk would be a good opener, it would be good to hear that one live any place in the setlist.

Archived