Best Party Bands

alwizard03

Who would you consider the Most exciting Livley Feel good Bands you have seen .

In no particular order but Mother's Finest probably takes the cake for getting the most asses out of seats and getting everyone dancing.

Mother's Finest

(not one soul sitting down, everyone was on tables dancing)

The Yayhoos

(all-star bar band fronted by Dan Baird of the Georgia Satellites)

Terry Anderson & the Olympic Ass Kickin' Team

(drummer for The Yayhoos but a veteran of several bands including the Fabulous Knobs, the

Woods, the Backsliders and author of Battleship Chains and I Love You Period, among others)

Foghat

Drive-By Truckers

(not exactly what I'd call a "party band" but they have the "lively" part down pat)

The Gourds

(If you aren't at least shakin' a leg by the third or fourth song in their sets you don't have a fuckin' pulse)

Donna the Buffalo

Southern Culture on the Skids

Bill Kirchen and Too Much Fun

(Former lead guitarist for Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen)

Grateful Dead

Van Halen w/ Diamond Dave

Kiss

Rolling Stones

Black Crowes

Los Lobos

Little Feat

AC/DC w/ Bon Scott

Nantucket

Cheap Trick

Aerosmith

Allman Brothers Band

ZZ Top

Black Crowes

Ziggy Marley and the Melody Makers

Jimmy Buffett & the Coral Reefer Band

In no particular order but Mother's Finest probably takes the cake for getting the most asses out of seats and getting everyone dancing.

Mother's Finest

The Yayhoos

(drummer for The Yayhoos but a veteran of several bands including the Fabulous Knobs, the

Woods, the Backsliders and author of Battleship Chains and I Love You Period, among others)

Foghat

Drive-By Truckers

(not exactly what I'd call a "party band" but they have the "lively" part down pat)

The Gourds

(If you aren't at least shakin' a leg by the third or fourth song in their sets you don't have a fuckin' pulse)

Donna the Buffalo

Grateful Dead

Kiss

Rolling Stones

Black Crowes

Los Lobos

Little Feat

Out of the Bands you have listed thier are a few I dont know but I have seen The Dead,Stones,Little Feat,Kiss,Van Halen,Foghat and Mothers Finest and Mothers Finest I have to agree is Wild they are all great Party Bands But J Giels every time I have saw them 4 times in all have been like a frat party .My other ticket has yet to be scanned.I have no dvd /video footage at all and have never found any which really sucks. Great choices We think alike which is scarey.

LITTLEFEATJACKSON78.jpg

AC/DC does indeed put on a good show. Here is a Band I may get flack over but they were a big party Band Rod Stewart and the Faces.

FACESATLANTA75FAREWELLTOUR.jpg

As mentioned earlier The Hottest Band in the Land KISS

kiss76neworleans.jpg

KISS77.jpg

KISS2000NOLA.jpg

with Ted Nugent and Skid Row

Out of the Bands you have listed thier are a few I dont know but I have seen The Dead,Stones,Little Feat,Kiss,Van Halen,Foghat and Mothers Finest and Mothers Finest I have to agree is Wild they are all great Party Bands But J Giels every time I have saw them 4 times in all have been like a frat party .My other ticket has yet to be scanned.I have no dvd /video footage at all and have never found any which really sucks. Great choices We think alike which is scarey.

Even though I never saw 'em live, when I see the words "party band" J. Geils is pretty much the first group to come to mind.

By the way, if you haven't heard Peter Wolf's solo record of a few years back called Sleepless, I very highly recommend it. There may not be much there to remind you of vintage Geils but it's still a very solid album nevertheless and includes some of the best work Mick & Keith (who guest star on a few tracks) have done in years.

Even though I never saw 'em live, when I see the words "party band" J. Geils is pretty much the first group to come to mind.

By the way, if you haven't heard Peter Wolf's solo record of a few years back called Sleepless, I very highly recommend it. There may not be much there to remind you of vintage Geils but it's still a very solid album nevertheless and includes some of the best work Mick & Keith (who guest star on a few tracks) have done in years.

Thanks for the info No I dont have that one but I will Amazon it tonight after Work getting ready to take a nap .I have to go back to work in 4 hours we do a split shift today so I will be back later here is another Kiss ticket from the last time I saw them.Missing a few Original members and the show was not quite as good but still better than most shows you pay to see.Drowning Pool opened

KISSDROWNINGPOOLNOLA04.jpg

AC/DC does indeed put on a good show.

I edited my post to include AC/DC. I wasn't sure what I was seeing at the time (late 70s) but their show has gone on to be one of my most lasting concert memories. Come to think of it, I should probably also add Cheap Trick and Nantucket to my list (who were also on the bill that night).

Here is a Band I may get flack over but they were a big party Band Rod Stewart and the Faces.

FACESATLANTA75FAREWELLTOUR.jpg

Unless they don't know their ass from a hole in the ground, why on earth would anyone give you flack over having seen The Faces? It's been my experience that far too many people only know Rod from his latter day, lame ass solo records and have little to no knowledge of his tenure in the Jeff Beck Group and the Faces. Having seen The Faces in concert isn't something to be ashamed of by any means. I know of a lot of folks that would absolutely kill to see 'em regroup (R.I.P. Ronnie Lane) these days

GIELSHOUSTON77.jpg

Who would you consider the Most exciting Livley Feel good Bands you have seen .I will start this with My first entry The Amazing J giels Band

JGIELSWAREHOUSE80NOLA.jpg

JGIELS76FEBWAREHOUSE.jpg

I'll third that. Saw them at least 5 or 6 times, including 3 at Cobo....some of the first arena shows I ever saw. Peter Wolf was the most under-rated rock frontman in the 70's. Still like that sequence on Monkey Island of "Surrender", "I Do", and "Somebody".

"Detroit Breakdown.....Motor City Shakedown"

My two J. Geils shows were in 1973 and 1975. I always said, you could go to one of thier shows without knowing one note of the music and have a rip roaring good time.

18kf7n.jpg

That is exactly what I was thinking when I started this thread there are a lot of really Fun Shows to see but J Giels is hard to beat.

But I have to add Jimmy Buffett to the list

That is exactly what I was thinking when I started this thread there are a lot of really Fun Shows to see but J Giels is hard to beat.

But I have to add Jimmy Buffett to the list

BTW, my stubs look much better enlarged. The one on the left from 1973 is a third row.

I edited my post to include AC/DC. I wasn't sure what I was seeing at the time (late 70s) but their show has gone on to be one of my most lasting concert memories. Come to think of it, I should probably also add Cheap Trick and Nantucket to my list (who were also on the bill that night).

Unless they don't know their ass from a hole in the ground, why on earth would anyone give you flack over having seen The Faces? It's been my experience that far too many people only know Rod from his latter day, lame ass solo records and have little to no knowledge of his tenure in the Jeff Beck Group and the Faces. Having seen The Faces in concert isn't something to be ashamed of by any means. I know of a lot of folks that would absolutely kill to see 'em regroup (R.I.P. Ronnie Lane) these days

I never saw the Jeff Beck Group when Rod was with them .I have seen Jeff solo shows in the 70's.

I also saw The Faces in 72 but the 75 show was thier final tour .I am glad I got to see it .I will also admit to seeing Rod with his various solo Bands but none compare with the Faces not even close.

I have saw Cheap Trick definetly a Party they opened for Robert Plant in 88 a few shows including Hampton Colisem in Virginia.

As far as pure energy and turning it into a party goes, nobody does it better than Robert Randolph & The Family Band. You talk about a show, you'd better go ready to dance and scream and have a great time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvU7ypdp3M8...feature=related

Another new one for Me but they look pretty entertaining on Utube

My first choice would the Dead and then, probably Little Feat.

Back in the day, an LZ concert was always an occasion for a party. B)

Jahfin, I am curious about this. My husband and I saw AC/DC for the first time in late '78 or early '79 at a small venue. My husband insists that it was at the Mudd Club (before it became trendy and elitist) but I think they performed at another club in NYC - maybe Pyramid or AM/PM. We've tried to find out more details about the show because it was amazing! Like you, we weren't sure what we were seeing at the time, but we were blown away.

BTW, my stubs look much better enlarged. The one on the left from 1973 is a third row.

Both Warehouse shows I had my hands up on the stage General Admision is great if you get thier early or at least it was before the Mosh Pit.

Jahfin, I am curious about this. My husband and I saw AC/DC for the first time in late '78 or early '79 at a small venue. My husband insists that it was at the Mudd Club (before it became trendy and elitist) but I think they performed at another club in NYC - maybe Pyramid or AM/PM. We've tried to find out more details about the show because it was amazing! Like you, we weren't sure what we were seeing at the time, but we were blown away.

I saw them on the Powerage tour in 1978 at the Cumberland County Arena in Fayetteville, NC. Cheap Trick opened followed by Nantucket who were just back from a successful run out west in support of their debut album on Epic Records. I knew who AC/DC were but thought I was seeing some sort of punk rock band at first. Fans down front were spitting on them, which I understood was done as a sign of appreciation for punk bands overseas. I also thought it was a bit unusual that Cheap Trick were opening for Nantucket when Nantucket seemed relatively unknown at the time. In the years since I've found out Nantucket were given priority since they were Epic's pet project at the time.

In regards to dates I found this site but I'm not sure how accurate it is since it says Cheap Trick were "co-headliners" and Nantucket were "supporting" at the show I saw which wasn't the case at all. Not so long ago I found another site with vintage AC/DC dates but can't seem to locate it now.

Mother's Finest

The Yayhoos

Foghat

Drive-By Truckers

The Gourds

Donna the Buffalo

Grateful Dead

Kiss

Rolling Stones

Black Crowes

Los Lobos

Little Feat

AC/DC w/ Bon Scott

Nantucket

Cheap Trick

Aerosmith

Allman Brothers Band

ZZ Top

Black Crowes

Ziggy Marley and the Melody Makers

Jimmy Buffett & the Coral Reefer Band

Mothers Finest

MAHOGANYRUSHHUMBLEPIE80.jpg

ACDC79DALLAS.jpg

AC/DC 1979 Dallas TX

ACDCBRLA82.jpg

AC/DC 1982 Baton Rouge LA

STONES75BATONROUGE.jpg

Rolling Stones 1975 Baton Rouge with another Great Party Band The Funky Meters

Who would you consider the Most exciting Livley Feel good Bands you have seen .I will start this with My first entry The Amazing J giels Band

JGIELSWAREHOUSE80NOLA.jpg

JGIELS76FEBWAREHOUSE.jpg

:lol: That is the first band that came to mind Al I swear to buda lol. I was at both of those shows at the warehouse. The 76 show was the night after my 17th birthday.

We didn't have any wheels at the time so we took the Jackson ave ferry across to

Tchoupitoulas st. ( hehe bet no one can pronounce that street ) When the show let out we had to hitch-hike back across the river. We were at the old camp st. on ramp and someone pulled over, immediately a mississippi river bridge authority whips around the corner and our ride left. Well after harassing us a little, he gave us a ride across the river. :D

This place was always a party, and J Geils knew how to throw a party.

warehouse12.jpg

Ditto on the Meters. You remember Ol'Man Rivers on US90 ? Saw the meters there on new years 78.

:lol: That is the first band that came to mind Al I swear to buda lol. I was at both of those shows at the warehouse. The 76 show was the night after my 17th birthday.

We didn't have any wheels at the time so we took the Jackson ave ferry across to

Tchoupitolous st. ( hehe bet no one can pronounce that street ) When the show let out we had to hitch-hike back across the river. We were at the old camp st. on ramp and someone pulled over, immediately a mississippi river bridge authority whips around the corner and our ride left. Well after harassing us a little, he gave us a ride across the river. :D

This place was always a party, and J Geils knew how to throw a party.

warehouse12.jpg

Ditto on the Meters. You remember Ol'Man Rivers on US90 ? Saw the meters there on new years 78.

Sure do Saw Johhny Winter there in 78 and Zebra a couple of times in the early 80's

Man I have had some interesting times at the Warehouse got My Ass jumped in 76 on the way back from a Wishbone Ash Show my friends got messed up and left Me and I decided to walk to Canal street and got jumped they took my pot my money and whipped my ass but at least I lived through it. We used to pay these young Kids to watch our cars when we went first time was a quarter I believe but due to inflation the price was a Dollar by the early to mid 80's.My first show I saw there was The Allman Brothers October 1970.

WISHBONEASHSTYX76.jpg

This is the only stub from Ole Man Rivers I have scanned Todd Rundgren's Utopia 1978

rungren78neworleans.jpg

Archived