Best Party Bands

alwizard03

Both Warehouse shows I had my hands up on the stage General Admision is great if you get thier early or at least it was before the Mosh Pit.

Oh, I almost forgot. During the 1975 J. Geils show I was invited on stage to stand next to Magic Dick and cheer him on during Whammer Jammer. There top that!!

Try this link for 78 tour dates. I saw one show on this tour Los Angeles Starwood and Kevin Borich opened the site appears confused that can end now.I was one of the audience members and a friend of Kevin and John's of the Express that is right back stage with AC/DC IN 78 was not a fan until a couple of years later but I did enjoy the show.

http://www.ac-dc.net/tour1/index.html

The link I posted earlier has these exact same dates, they were cut and pasted from the link you posted (which is the site I was looking for, thanks). Still, there's some misinformation there regarding the billing at the Fayetteville, NC concert I attended. Cheap Trick weren't "co-headliners" and Nantucket didn't open the show. The order was: Cheap Trick / Nantucket / AC/DC.

They're VERY entertaining. They have three cd's out: Live AT The Wetlands, Unclassified, and Colorblind. Very excellent band, with great players. Though they're funkier, you can tell on their records that they've really paid attention to how John Bonham got his drum sound. Sometimes it has that huge sound that Bonzo was known for.

Even though Robert Randolph and the Family Band can be a little too jammy for my tastes, it's cool to see such good players as him and slide guitarist Sonny Landreth being mentioned here. So many think there's no good musicians out there today and that there's no players left with any sort of technical prowess. Both Robert and Sonny are a huge fuck you to that statement. There's probably not two better musicians out there today.

robert-randolph-450.jpg

Robert Randolph

SonnyLandreth-16.jpg

Sonny Landreth

Foghat is another, a great under rated band you never hear much about.

Maybe because "Classic Rock" radio only plays something like two of their songs and that's the only tunes anyone knows them by? Who knows but I'm glad to have seen them a couple of times. The first time in their prime when Foghat Live! was still knew. The second when they were trying to fit into the New Wave scene with Zig Zag Walk. Both shows were great but I'll take the first one over the second any day of the week. With all due respect, they should have called it quits when "Lonesome" Dave died. Without him there is no Foghat.

And how about Black Oak Arkansas ?

I'm sure they qualify but personally I never saw them (other than on Don Kirshner's Rock Concert).

I can't believe you. But I guess they aren't for everyone..

Apparently not. I've heard some people say what they played wasn't "music" and that they have no place in the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame. I'm not a fan of the Ramones or punk rock myself but I firmly believe they most definitely deserve a place in the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame. Thank goodness for bands like the Sex Pistols and the Ramones for coming along when they did and returning rock n' roll to it's primitive roots. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be many folks out there that can appreciate groups like them, yet not be a fan of that type of music. I know of lots of artists that are like that to me, I can see and readily acknowledge their contributions to music but I may not necessarily be a fan.

Maybe because "Classic Rock" radio only plays something like two of their songs and that's the only tunes anyone knows them by? Who knows but I'm glad to have seen them a couple of times. The first time in their prime when Foghat Live! was still knew. The second when they were trying to fit into the New Wave scene with Zig Zag Walk. Both shows were great but I'll take the first one over the second any day of the week. With all due respect, they should have called it quits when "Lonesome" Dave died. Without him there is no Foghat. I saw them in the 70's I think 3 times and they were great, and also in 95 or 96, with Lonesome Dave, Rod Price, Roger Earl and Tony Stevens, GREAT show in a small pub, I remember the radio would play Driven Wheel and Stone Blue when they first came out, Rod Price sure played a mean slide, they also should be in the Joke Hall of Fame, I mean Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, I agree they should of called it a day after dave died, even after Rod died they still called it Foghat, thats just not right. But I never really understood why this band is ignored so much. something they have in common with DP.

I'm sure they qualify but personally I never saw them (other than on Don Kirshner's Rock Concert).

Love Jim Dandys voice, a very good band

Love Jim Dandys voice, a very good band

I remember MTV's Martha Quinn once describing Jim Dandy Mangum as a cross between The Beverly Hillbillies' Jethro Bodine and David Lee Roth. She hit the nail on the head with that one.

Even though Robert Randolph and the Family Band can be a little too jammy for my tastes, it's cool to see such good players as him and slide guitarist Sonny Landreth being mentioned here. So many think there's no good musicians out there today and that there's no players left with any sort of technical prowess. Both Robert and Sonny are a huge fuck you to that statement. There's probably not two better musicians out there today.

robert-randolph-450.jpg

Robert Randolph

SonnyLandreth-16.jpg

Sonny Landreth

You'd love Robert's newest then, Jahfin. Colorblind is very tight, 11 songs clocking in at about 44 minutes.

Oh, I almost forgot. During the 1975 J. Geils show I was invited on stage to stand next to Magic Dick and cheer him on during Whammer Jammer. There top that!!

Wow I wasnt trying to top you its just the way it is.We used to get to shows early and stand in line for ever to get up front now I just spend a lot of money for that same privilage any time I can plus join the Fan clubs and auctions and in some cases have a connection or two. Sorry if I irritated you did not mean to offend.

Hey alwizard03,

How about posting some of your stubs from some of the disco shows you've attended. C'mon, I know you got a couple.

Thanks.

I saw Rod Stewart Several times and He plays Do You Think I'M Sexy thats pretty close but I believe thats all.

I'm going to see the Robert Randolph Band in June, and looking forward to it. I understand they do funky versions of older songs, and jamming is always good with me.

The B-52s are coming around too, but are doing a show with Rosie O'Donnel and Cindy Lauper. I sat through the Ramones to see them last time, but there's no way I will sit through that!

I'm not sure any other artists can say this but the fee for R.E.M.'s fanclub is $10 and it hasn't gone up since the fanclub began back in the early 80s. In recent years being a member has given us pre-sale concert sales privileges where you can have access to the first 5-6 rows. I have been extremely lucky in obtaining front row seats for the last several tours. Few other artists look after their fans like that, they're far more interested in getting more money out of them instead.

I'm going to see the Robert Randolph Band in June, and looking forward to it. I understand they do funky versions of older songs, and jamming is always good with me.

While Robert Randolph may throw in the occasional cover or two, they're far from a cover band. And to me, there's a huge difference between "jammy" and "jamming". As a huge Grateful Dead and Allman Brothers fan I have a certain tolerance for "jammy" but when it devolves into wankery or noodling, they lose me. Same for the Black Crowes, Widespread Panic and any other artist that has been saddled with the "jamband" label.

Wow I wasnt trying to top you its just the way it is.We used to get to shows early and stand in line for ever to get up front now I just spend a lot of money for that same privilage any time I can plus join the Fan clubs and auctions and in some cases have a connection or two. Sorry if I irritated you did not mean to offend.

Al, I was just joking. I quite enjoy your stories and concert stubs. I guess the "connections" are what gets you the back-stage passes?

Al, I was just joking. I quite enjoy your stories and concert stubs. I guess the "connections" are what gets you the back-stage passes?

Alright I was worried I really have seen a lot of shows over my life which by the way is not over yet please Zep one more for AL . Sometimes I get carried away with my stubs and such .I have over 300 total of shows I have attended and My ex wife left me a dozen of hers when She left with whats his name and Yes I know a few people but I dont hang out with Led Zeppelin My friends are lower on the food chain and verry private people after work nuff said . I might want another backstage pass or two.

I so much wish J Giels would tour again In 99 they did not play in my area or at least as for as I know

It does take alot longer to open threads that have multiple pictures posted, at least on this computer. Maybe some people would get bothered by this? Does anyone challenge your claims of being at certain shows?

Not as far as I know I just have always liked visual stuff you know if I read a story I want a picture.

If not I would never go to concerts I would just stay home and listen to My Cds .I guess maybe I am bragging some and I am sorry but I am really happy about the shows I have seen and Mr Tull was just messin with me so its all good.It is hard not to tell people that you have seen Led Zeppelin,Pink Floyd,

Jethro Tull , The Who , Rolling Stones ,J Giels, Robin Trower, Skynyrd etc etc etc Its like going to a Bowl Game and never saying anything about it can not be done.I have made my excuses so if I post more stubs you have to forgive Me

AL

The B-52s are coming around too, but are doing a show with Rosie O'Donnel and Cindy Lauper. I sat through the Ramones to see them last time, but there's no way I will sit through that!

Yeah, they're known to thrown in a Hendrix cover like Voodoo Child or Purple Haze, even been know to throw in a song from Michael Jackson like Billie Jean or Don't Stop Til You Get Enough. But overall, they write their own material and live they usually play their own songs. Like when I saw them last October in Fayetteville, they did all material from their newest album Colorblind, plus a song they call The March, and Purple Haze.

Try this link for 78 tour dates. I saw one show on this tour Los Angeles Starwood and Kevin Borich opened the site appears confused that can end now.I was one of the audience members and a friend of Kevin and John's of the Express that is right back stage with AC/DC IN 78 was not a fan until a couple of years later but I did enjoy the show.

http://www.ac-dc.net/tour1/index.html

Thanks! That's what we've been looking for Alwizard - we found the show. It was at CBGBs, not the Mudd Club. :D

The B-52s, Bringing Back the Party

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.p...toryId=89528959

April 10, 2008 - The B-52s are back.

The zany dance-rock band — with its string of MTV hits like "Love Shack," "Planet Claire," "Private Idaho" and "Rock Lobster" — just issued a new album after a 16-year hiatus.

Judging from the new music, the party's still going on. Band members Keith Strickland, the group's guitarist, and Kate Pierson — who sports the sky-high red beehive — stopped by NPR West to chat about the new CD, called Funplex.

The band has been performing together with regularity throughout the intervening years, but it actually wrote new material for Funplex. Though its songs are as wacky and danceable as ever, Strickland says that he had to imagine what a modern incarnation of The B-52s would sound like.

"So I had been listening to a lot of electronic dance music and still listening to a lot of rock 'n' roll, and I thought it'd be perhaps an interesting project to try putting those two sounds together with our own sound," Strickland says. "And for me, that was the pivotal point."

That, and the fact that their dedicated fans were clamoring for more.

"That's what we were thinking," Strickland says. "If we're going to keep doing this, we need new material, you know? And our fans have been very patient and very generous, but they were beginning to sort of bang on the door — 'We want new songs.'"

Long after the success of their last chart-topping singles, The B-52s' members are all now in their 50s. But they say that the gyrating energy of the crowds they draw keeps them going.

"You know, when you mentioned having to perform 'Love Shack' and 'Rock Lobster' — I still enjoy performing them because there is this energy that the audience gives you," Pierson says. "It's just really entertaining, and you can feel an energy sort-of transference happening when you're on stage performing. And I see the audience just going wild. We have some kind of, I don't know, potion, something in our music that just makes people bust loose."

So does this mean that audiences can expect more new music from The B-52s — before another 16 years pass?

"I guess time flies fast in rock 'n' roll or something," Pierson says. "But our motto from the beginning was 'Let's have fun.' Let's keep doing it as long as we're having fun with it. And I still think we're having fun with it."

Related NPR Stories

* See The B-52s Full Artist Archive

Mar. 25, 2008

An 'Odd Couple' and Madonna Release Albums

Dec. 20, 2004

'Love Shack' That Inspired B-52s' Hit Burns Down

Feb. 7, 2002

Review: B-52s Anthology

* Carrie Brownstein on 'Funplex' (from NPR's 'Monitor Mix' blog)

Any event that has a DJ, I make sure that Rock Lobster gets played. And I have a patented dance move that involves a worm squiggle that goes into a sombersault of sorts during it - broke a table and spilled a group of people onto the dance floor at one wedding...

Archived