Found Money

redrum

When I was 8 or 9, I was swimming in a pond. I felt something wrap around my foot, and it felt like leaves or something, so I swung my foot upward. It was a $20 bill! I got tons of ice cream and other crap from the concessions stand.

Once, I was sitting in class, broke as crap, and I put my hand into my jacket--it was the first time I'd worn it all year. I found another $20! (too bad it was my $20, but still!) This one happens more than the first situation, bah-humbug.

Another time, I was sitting at work, and I found a wad of $100s on the floor. Too bad I didn't get to keep it--at work you have to turn it into the safe and if it's not claimed, we log it and then we add it into the safe. This way, someone comes in and describes the lost money--how much, what day/time, etc., they can get their money back if we recorded it correctly.

Edited by manderlyh

I've found all bills up to $100 before at one tiome or another, but the best happened about a year ago.

I parked my car in a parking garage, 5th floor. I got out of my car and saw I had run over a rather large paper bag. So I picked it up with the intentions of throwing it out. It was heavy, so I looked in.

$3500, all in $100 bills. There was no cop station around, and although I do try to be honest, I was out of a job and poor at the time and needed money. In hindisght, I wish I had just put it in a bank acconun and forgotten about it, but that month was a good month for me. :D

As far as me having stories of finding money, none...seriously, in all my life, never found but 1 dollar bills every here & there...so, yes...a bit depressing....but as for my friends & family members goes......

It seems these days that everyone is either hanging on to their money or they just don't have any.

B)

In restaurants, I've noticed people always leaving money on the table after they pay the bill and leave. I usually just walk by and pick it up.

Seriously, I've found small amounts of money 5's, 10's, maybe a 20. Usually on a bar floor or sometimes even during a dog walk.

True story - where I used to live in NJ, a woman was outside a store with her young son and she found a bag containing $20,000.00. She turned it into the police. Lo and behold, it belonged to an old man who was transferring the money from bank to bank and left the bag on top of his car. I contend if her son wasn't there she would have just kept the money instead of having to teach her little one an important lesson.

Ummm...that's called a tip. :huh:

My mom found a wallet once with like $400 in it when I was a baby. She said she had gone to 7-11 to get a big gulp for her and my dad to share--they'd scraped up pennies and nickels and dimes to get their pop fix, (pop was like water in my house when I was a kid--if you were out it was like : scared0011.gif), and my mom found this wallet.

There was NO ID, no credit cards, nothing to try to get ahold of the rightful owner. She said that she took it and checked in with the people at the 7-11 to see if anyone had asked about a lost wallet, but no...so the $400 was hers.

BTW--$400 could pay rent like twice and then some when I was a kid.

I guess depending on your definition of found money this could qualify.....In 1988, representing myself, I sued two former tenants(guy and gal) of my townhouse for non-payment of rent. The judge awarded me a judgement in the amount of $2200.00. After collecting about $500.00 from the gal, through a salary garnishment, both people just kind of disappeared. Thinking I'd never be able to find them again, I filed what is called a docketed judgement. This action records a lien against any type of real estate sale. Three years ago I received a call from a title search company, they tracked me down from NJ to MD. The guy tenant sold a piece of property and after adding interest, I received a check for $3800.00 from the proceeds of his sale. The court never accounted for the $500.00 collected in 1988, so I made out equally good. Not the typical landlord story, they usually cut their loses and move on.

I guess depending on your definition of found money this could qualify.....In 1988, representing myself, I sued two former tenants(guy and gal) of my townhouse for non-payment of rent. The judge awarded me a judgement in the amount of $2200.00. After collecting about $500.00 from the gal, through a salary garnishment, both people just kind of disappeared. Thinking I'd never be able to find them again, I filed what is called a docketed judgement. This action records a lien against any type of real estate sale. Three years ago I received a call from a title search company, they tracked me down from NJ to MD. The guy tenant sold a piece of property and after adding interest, I received a check for $3800.00 from the proceeds of his sale. The court never accounted for the $500.00 collected in 1988, so I made out equally good. Not the typical landlord story, they usually cut their loses and move on.

Congrats. No sense in others rent rising because of jerkweeds.

yeah :D:D but it's illegal to collect them ... you know what I mean ... :)

This is true. Last night I watched COPS and they caught a guy in Vegas taking money out of the Mirage fountain. He told them he had too much pride to panhandle but they made him throw all the coins back in and told him to leave. Less than 5 minutes later they caught him again and yep, he went to jail.

I didn't really see it as a big deal since the fountain had tons of coins in it and it's not like the Mirage was losing anything for cripes sake. <_<

This is true. Last night I watched COPS and they caught a guy in Vegas taking money out of the Mirage fountain. He told them he had too much pride to panhandle but they made him throw all the coins back in and told him to leave. Less than 5 minutes later they caught him again and yep, he went to jail.

I didn't really see it as a big deal since the fountain had tons of coins in it and it's not like the Mirage was losing anything for cripes sake. <_<

I think the point is it wasn't his. May be hard for some to comprehend.

On the rent I am not so sure, if this landlord filed papers to sue against someones properties?

Well then when this person who owed him cash had a net gain on personal property sales it certainly was his.

QUOTE (Dzldoc @ Apr 16 2008, 07:15 PM) *

A friend of mine, his little bro found 800 bux one time and turned it in to the police.

They told him if no one claims it in 30 days it was his. When he went back to check, they told him "Oh the money tested positive for cocain residue" and they impounded the money. WTF?

It was well known that in the Late 70"s, most of the money in circulation could be found to have some sort of presence of cocain from the roll and snort or hand to hand contact. cool.gif

I'll bet the cops divided it up among themselves. :angry:

exactly. how do you think the cocaine residue got there in the first place? ;)

First time I visited USA I was so happy that I found so many cents around every streets ... it was so unusual to me.

Later I discovered that it was "normal" to leave fallen cents ... there!

It's still weird to me

money aren't peanuts even cents :o

That reminds me of a heated discussion I got into with my mother once. She was always picking up coins and when I told her that I never do that she lashed into me, lecturing me on the value of a penny and insinuating that I'm all uppity & think I'm too good for that penny or nickel or dime lying on the sidewalk. Even when I explained that perhaps I was doing the generous thing by leaving it there for the next person who might need it more than I do, she still thought I was in the wrong. Mother/daughter relationships are a complex thing, I tell ya.

Its Mine please send it to

ALWIZARD PO BOX 1

Care of the Need Money for concerts fund

Zepville louisiana 70774

:lol:good one Al

I don't know about the Mirage but at most public fountains the money collected is donated to a charity.

One time I was fishing in Bodega Bay and there was a guy on the rocks casting his line out as there was some paper money floating out with the tide. He didn't get any of it. Kinda funny (where did it come from?) but I was there to fish.

B)

I was about 17 and had gone on vacation with my parents to LA. We were doing some of the tourist things and decided to go out for lunch and then to Grauman's Theatre to see the celebrities hand prints in the pavement. After lunch I stopped to look in a store window and my parents crossed the street and went on to the theatre. When I crossed the street to join them there had to be at least 20 people there. And everyone was looking down at the handprints and autographs. And with all of those people looking down at the ground I seemed to be the only one who noticed money just laying on the ground right there in the open. I hurried over to my parents and pointed it out. We stood there for a minute or two watching the people to see if someone would swoop down and grab their dropped money. But, no one did. So, we started with the whole "grab it" "no you grab it!" "I'm not going to grab it" and finally my mother said "fine I'll grab it!". No one noticed. No one claimed it. It turned out to be $40. So, my mom and I stopped at a store and bought matching James Dean t-shirts :lol:.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 12 years later...
11 minutes ago, luvlz2 said:

About 3 years ago or something I was checking out at the self-checkout at my local grocery store and somebody had left $60 there. i turned it in of course.

You did the right thing. But I always wonder if the store clerks don't just take the money after we leave. 

I once found a couple hundred dollars in a small snap style leather purse with no ID, so I told the manger of the store I found some money but didn't say how much and didn't mention the type of purse, and if someone came back to give them my phone number. When a little old lady called me and described the purse and how much money, I was very glad I was able to make sure she got it back.

8 minutes ago, kipper said:

You did the right thing. But I always wonder if the store clerks don't just take the money after we leave. 

I once found a couple hundred dollars in a small snap style leather purse with no ID, so I told the manger of the store I found some money but didn't say how much and didn't mention the type of purse, and if someone came back to give them my phone number. When a little old lady called me and described the purse and how much money, I was very glad I was able to make sure she got it back.

You definitely did the right thing then.

• 3 months later...