Which Plexi?

LednyrdZepnyrd

Hello, i would like to know your opinion on which Marshall Plexi i should buy in the future. Right now i'm only contemplating, but your opinion would be apreciated. I like Led Zep (of course), Lynyrd Skynyrd, Free, AC/DC, ZZ top, Allman Brothers, Stevie Ray, and many blues artists. I will probably make some changes to the amp myself and/or get a Braymod in the future. I will mostly use this amp at home for awhile. Comments please. Thank you.

Hello, i would like to know your opinion on which Marshall Plexi i should buy in the future. Right now i'm only contemplating, but your opinion would be apreciated. I like Led Zep (of course), Lynyrd Skynyrd, Free, AC/DC, ZZ top, Allman Brothers, Stevie Ray, and many blues artists. I will probably make some changes to the amp myself and/or get a Braymod in the future. I will mostly use this amp at home for awhile. Comments please. Thank you.

When you say you'll be using it mostly at home do you mean in a home rehersal space, a bedroom, or even your living room?

I'm asking because unless you have a relatively large room, & some understanding neighbours I wouldn't be recomending any large valve Marshall as a "home amp". Too big & too loud. (Maybe try one of their modern amps rather than a "Plexi")

Of course, if you're ok with that, then fine. In which case I'd still go for a "small" one - probably the Bluesbreaker combo (You definitely don't need more than two 12" speakers in the home! :D ) which sounds great & reacts well to the guitar controls.

It won't get an exact Page tone, but it's get near as damn-it untill you're ready to start modding your amps ;)

Actually its pretty much a whole basement. But the modern Marshalls are 50 watts and over. What i was planning to do was get an Avatar 2x12 with the head if i get a head, and also put a PPIMV master volume in it. That would sound better than a new marshall with the standard MV, also the bluesbreaker and Jtm 45 are only 30 watts, so they would be better than a new 50 watt. I think thats what im going to do, get a JTM 45 or bluesbreaker, because i think i will be able to do more with it when modding, and i like kt-66 valves better than el-34. Thanks

get a 18watt marshall plexi clone or a good small tube amp instead, you'lll have much

more fun with that.

a black heart or something like that.

but if you have to have a plexi tone, get a 18watter, they are plentifull in kit and

ready done form.

get a 18watt marshall plexi clone or a good small tube amp instead, you'lll have much

more fun with that.

a black heart or something like that.

but if you have to have a plexi tone, get a 18watter, they are plentifull in kit and

ready done form.

Ive looked at the 18 watt many times, i dont know what it is, i just dont like it as much as the other 2. But now im thinking of the 50 watt also, i dont know why, but i can never make up my mind. I dont need 50 watts, but come on, who needs a ferrari that goes 200 miles an hour either :D

1. the number one problem with marshall plexi's is the fact that you HAVE to push

it for it to sound good. you have to play it past 7 for it too make that legendary sound.

and when it's 50 watts, you'll probably end up kill someone. :D

whit 18 watts you'lll just be unbelivebaly loud.

2. don't get the marshall one, you can get a clone for less money and with better sound

and quality.

3. a small single ended class A amp is also a good choice, trust me, your ears will

love you for it.

I would go with the JTM-45. What I would do is get a used one on ebay and put some new trannys in it, new tubes, and a PTP turret board. This will turn the RI to exactly vintage spec with some help of Metro amplification (George is loads of help). It will be the most versitile because at lower volumes youve got a Fender clean, but when you crank it, you get tons of sweet singing overdrive, great for classic rock, slap it with pedals and you can get a great metal tone. I reccommend a UA, this sucka is LOUD, but not too loud. Its alot less than a 50 watt. I wouldnt recommend any clones though, I never liked the sound of them, the way I told you, you win in every category. What i mean is, whith a GOOD clone you get the tone, but it will be pretty steep pricewise, but you dont actually get a marshall, but the way I did it, i got a used one, and made it to vintage spec, so you do get a vintage marshall, rather than a vintage marshall clone. ITs just the way I think about it, some may agree, but thats what I think is the best. Its also cheaper(depending on how much you get the amp for)

I have a DSL50. I've had plexis and I appreciate tone gurus, no disrespect, but if you just want an amp you can crank up without going boutique....Decent clean sound that breaks up nicely when you edge up the volume. Crunch channel that responds to the guitar's volume knob. Searing Ultra channel if you really go for the heavy stuff. I had a 100w plexi, a modded Soldano, a Zakk Wylde JCM800. I use a DSL50 with Mesa cabs loaded with Vintage 30s, and I'm happy with it. That's what matters! I've been playing over 30 years, and I've drooled over Matchless, VHT, you name it. And I've played them all. Personally, I think when you get in the 100 watt range, you should be playing stadiums. I also must recommend the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. Sweet tone with enough balls to hold up to a loud drummer.

Plexis are overkill, unless you're playing Madison Square Garden! You'll need a Powersoak or a similar device to bleed off the volume otherwise, and then you threaten the output transformer (highly debated, but why gamble?). So what's the point of having 100 watts when you're only using 50? Why have a 100 watter on 4 when you can have a 50 watter on 8? Two tubes instead of four. A tube is a tube, and it will do what it does. Let 'em break up without getting ridiculous! :D

Hell, my favorite amp was an 8 watt Silvertone from the 60s! What a sweet singing sound it made when cranked to the limit through its little 6 inch speaker!

I have a DSL50. I've had plexis and I appreciate tone gurus, no disrespect, but if you just want an amp you can crank up without going boutique....Decent clean sound that breaks up nicely when you edge up the volume. Crunch channel that responds to the guitar's volume knob. Searing Ultra channel if you really go for the heavy stuff. I had a 100w plexi, a modded Soldano, a Zakk Wylde JCM800. I use a DSL50 with Mesa cabs loaded with Vintage 30s, and I'm happy with it. That's what matters! I've been playing over 30 years, and I've drooled over Matchless, VHT, you name it. And I've played them all. Personally, I think when you get in the 100 watt range, you should be playing stadiums. I also must recommend the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. Sweet tone with enough balls to hold up to a loud drummer.

Plexis are overkill, unless you're playing Madison Square Garden! You'll need a Powersoak or a similar device to bleed off the volume otherwise, and then you threaten the output transformer (highly debated, but why gamble?). So what's the point of having 100 watts when you're only using 50? Why have a 100 watter on 4 when you can have a 50 watter on 8? Two tubes instead of four. A tube is a tube, and it will do what it does. Let 'em break up without getting ridiculous! :D

Hell, my favorite amp was an 8 watt Silvertone from the 60s! What a sweet singing sound it made when cranked to the limit through its little 6 inch speaker!

I totally agree with you there man, but you recommended the Hot Rod Delux right? Its 40 watts, a JTM-45 is only 30, and thats what Ive decided on getting, however, I will wait awhile just in case I change my mind. I will gig with it, but Im just not currently in a band. THANKS for the feedback.

I totally agree with you there man, but you recommended the Hot Rod Delux right? Its 40 watts, a JTM-45 is only 30, and thats what Ive decided on getting, however, I will wait awhile just in case I change my mind. I will gig with it, but Im just not currently in a band. THANKS for the feedback.

It's all in the fingers, the touch, and the gear. It all comes together. Whatever works for you bro! I'm just saying, don't buy by name or pedigree. Go with whatever sings your song! You may surprize yourself.

Yeah, I got a great tone out of my Hot Rod Deluxe. You might not find the sound you're after with one. It's a touchy and very personal thing finding your voice through the equipment. I'm just saying, don't go for what your heroes used just cause that's what's in the magazines. If you're a buyer, then damnit, take advantage of the store's quiet room. It exists for you! Don't be shy about it! I used to be. "Try it out!" "Aw no, dumpeedump". "Oh, you can't touch that. It's expensive." BULLSHIT!!! Play EVERYTHING and find the one that sings! You might be surprized by what actually gets you where you want to go!

Play on Brother!!! :beer:

I just want to add. Guys who work in music stores work on commission. They'd say "Oh take it in here and try it out". I used to be uncomfortable with that. Then I realized, I'm buying this fucker, so why can't I see what I can do That's what I'm paying for afterall! Crank that fucker up! And if anyone bitches, hey, your dollars can go elsewh...that's when they say "No! Come back!"

You come in as a serious buyer, and the whole store is yours!

Try everything! Crank that shit up in their face and find your baby! :beer:

It's all in the fingers, the touch, and the gear. It all comes together. Whatever works for you bro! I'm just saying, don't buy by name or pedigree. Go with whatever sings your song! You may surprize yourself.

Yeah, I got a great tone out of my Hot Rod Deluxe. You might not find the sound you're after with one. It's a touchy and very personal thing finding your voice through the equipment. I'm just saying, don't go for what your heroes used just cause that's what's in the magazines. If you're a buyer, then damnit, take advantage of the store's quiet room. It exists for you! Don't be shy about it! I used to be. "Try it out!" "Aw no, dumpeedump". "Oh, you can't touch that. It's expensive." BULLSHIT!!! Play EVERYTHING and find the one that sings! You might be surprized by what actually gets you where you want to go!

Play on Brother!!! :beer:

I just want to add. Guys who work in music stores work on commission. They'd say "Oh take it in here and try it out". I used to be uncomfortable with that. Then I realized, I'm buying this fucker, so why can't I see what I can do That's what I'm paying for afterall! Crank that fucker up! And if anyone bitches, hey, your dollars can go elsewh...that's when they say "No! Come back!"

You come in as a serious buyer, and the whole store is yours!

Try everything! Crank that shit up in their face and find your baby! :beer:

AMEN!!!! I keep goin into these guitar shops and someone would tell me "Feel free to try that baby out" or somethin like that, and i would say no thanks because I feel uncomfortable and that they dont really want me playing expensive stuff. Also they have to get a ladder to get the expensive guitars on the wall, which would really make me feel uncomfortable, but FUCK THEM. Who cares what people think about me, im getting a new amp, so they should be jealous :beer:

AMEN!!!! I keep goin into these guitar shops and someone would tell me "Feel free to try that baby out" or somethin like that, and i would say no thanks because I feel uncomfortable and that they dont really want me playing expensive stuff. Also they have to get a ladder to get the expensive guitars on the wall, which would really make me feel uncomfortable, but FUCK THEM. Who cares what people think about me, im getting a new amp, so they should be jealous :beer:

Yeah, you know what Guitar Center pays its employees? Verges on criminal! That's why I'm grateful to have met my friend Sean, who managed the GC in El Toro, CA. He's hooked up me, my band and many friends so well! I'll always bring him my business. I have friends I met on this (or the old) board who I've referred to him and he'll always do the best deal in town. I like to think we got him promoted with all the gear we moved out their doors! Fuck, we probably spent 70 grand there in 2003 alone! THAT was a fun year!!! :lol:

My "stable" 2003:

Children2.jpg

Thanks Sean!!!! :beer:

And yes, that's a Custom Shop 59 Reissue in the middle. What a sweet axe!

Yeah, you know what Guitar Center pays its employees? Verges on criminal! That's why I'm grateful to have met my friend Sean, who managed the GC in El Toro, CA. He's hooked up me, my band and many friends so well! I'll always bring him my business. I have friends I met on this (or the old) board who I've referred to him and he'll always do the best deal in town. I like to think we got him promoted with all the gear we moved out their doors! Fuck, we probably spent 70 grand there in 2003 alone! THAT was a fun year!!! :lol:

My "stable" 2003:

Children2.jpg

Thanks Sean!!!! :beer:

And yes, that's a Custom Shop 59 Reissue in the middle. What a sweet axe!

That '59 is a beaut, im thinkin bout a '58 RI. The VOS guitars are probably IMHO the best guita's on the market today. Gibson really hit it with those, the standards need some work though. Very nice axes Evster. That PRS looks nice too, but ive never really been fond of them, hows it compare with the '59?

Ok, this topic didnt turn out the way I would like it to have. I didnt want it to get into the loudness of the amp for where Im using it and what not. I wanted you to judge by the TYPE of music and which would best suit my style between just the 1987x and the JTM45. I will get an ultimate attenuator with it, so everyone is happy. Thanks

I have a JTM 45 "clone" i guess you can call it and i love it. For what its worth, you might want to note that the "botique" or "clone" JTM45s are more acurate to the original than Marshall's remake. From what I understand.

On a side note: some beneficial reading about the Bluesbreaker reissue:

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issu..._Revisited.aspx

I would have to agree with you about that, but i think will get a reissue on ebay for less money and make it to the real deal like the article. Thanks

Archived