re-mastered boxset in 2008?

cretem85

I would love to hear that soundboard mix from 7-23-77 as I was at that show.

Damn...what a great show to have in your memory. I'm curious: Were you/was the crowd totally confused by Robert's constant inside-joking about "badge holders," or was it just assumed that he was being goofy for the amusement of the others?

Damn...what a great show to have in your memory. I'm curious: Were you/was the crowd totally confused by Robert's constant inside-joking about "badge holders," or was it just assumed that he was being goofy for the amusement of the others?

He was just being goofy and having fun as we all we're both. The 1970’s was its own weird world and time moved real slow….. The sun was out, the weather was warm and there were at least 70,000 + plus people out there and everyone was really electrified totally hot for the show. Just like how people got excited this year. The scale of scope of people was awesome. Everyone had a drink and a joint in their hand. Real friendly. People brought in homemade flags and intricate banners. This show was totally open where people were allowed to bring in whatever they wanted. There was people selling bongs and pot brownies out in the open. People brought in loads of tape recorders and I saw the guy with a video camera, would love to see that video – I heard it exists. Back then you could bring a still camera to a concert to photograph a show and nobody cared until the eighties, now they allow it because they can’t stop it.

It wasn’t like we we’re all holding onto each statement. You immersed yourself into the music on an individual and mass conscience. And you would be reflecting what was just heard musically and yet living in the moment. We we're stoned! It was the 1970’s and time seemed to move differently than now, weed or no weed. Crank and the “hurry up” world had not messed up everything yet. There was a lot of 1960’s goodwill still left and people we’re happy having a laugh although the economy was really screwed up over here. So people shared and pulled together, like sharing a drink or rolling joints and not caring. Anyway’s back to the show..

Robert Plant was cracking a lot of jokes, I don’t think we we’re paying that much attention to what was said, we we’re waiting for the next song and yelling and screaming. There was no mosh pit back then of course, but people packed together. I remember Robert mentioning that the sun was in his eyes and why are they always playing outside when doing shows here. It was in his eyes – the sun was late afternoon and the stage was facing the sun.

I’m surprised more tapes from that show are not out there, although I’m no expert how many there are. I remember seeing at least 20 people recording, including one doing stereo, sort of like what people would do at Grateful Dead shows. My idea was to see both shows, but I was so burnt out from partying all day in the sun I went to the Oakland Coliseum the next day to sell my tickets.

You have no idea how many times I wished I would have just drank a 6 pack and went into that show. But at the time (as many did) I totally assumed “Oh, they’ll be back next year and I’ll see them then!”

Cool narrative! Thanks for taking the time. I was only 5 in 1977, so I missed Zeppelin's gigs. I do appreciate the perspective, because those accounts are all that we just-slightly-younger people have to go on, in the interest of gleaning some context about Zeppelin's impact. (I know what you mean about the "hurry up" world that seemed to really get going in the early '80s.....maybe it's all Reagan's fault.)

Put out all of the live material!! re-master the box set, Put out the rest of the unreleased material, put the o2 concert on DVD and tour!! Am I asking to much? :D

Wasn't the box set already remastered in the first place???

He was just being goofy and having fun as we all we're both. The 1970’s was its own weird world and time moved real slow….. The sun was out, the weather was warm and there were at least 70,000 + plus people out there and everyone was really electrified totally hot for the show. Just like how people got excited this year. The scale of scope of people was awesome. Everyone had a drink and a joint in their hand. Real friendly. People brought in homemade flags and intricate banners. This show was totally open where people were allowed to bring in whatever they wanted. There was people selling bongs and pot brownies out in the open. People brought in loads of tape recorders and I saw the guy with a video camera, would love to see that video – I heard it exists. Back then you could bring a still camera to a concert to photograph a show and nobody cared until the eighties, now they allow it because they can’t stop it.

It wasn’t like we we’re all holding onto each statement. You immersed yourself into the music on an individual and mass conscience. And you would be reflecting what was just heard musically and yet living in the moment. We we're stoned! It was the 1970’s and time seemed to move differently than now, weed or no weed. Crank and the “hurry up” world had not messed up everything yet. There was a lot of 1960’s goodwill still left and people we’re happy having a laugh although the economy was really screwed up over here. So people shared and pulled together, like sharing a drink or rolling joints and not caring. Anyway’s back to the show..

Robert Plant was cracking a lot of jokes, I don’t think we we’re paying that much attention to what was said, we we’re waiting for the next song and yelling and screaming. There was no mosh pit back then of course, but people packed together. I remember Robert mentioning that the sun was in his eyes and why are they always playing outside when doing shows here. It was in his eyes – the sun was late afternoon and the stage was facing the sun.

I’m surprised more tapes from that show are not out there, although I’m no expert how many there are. I remember seeing at least 20 people recording, including one doing stereo, sort of like what people would do at Grateful Dead shows. My idea was to see both shows, but I was so burnt out from partying all day in the sun I went to the Oakland Coliseum the next day to sell my tickets.

You have no idea how many times I wished I would have just drank a 6 pack and went into that show. But at the time (as many did) I totally assumed “Oh, they’ll be back next year and I’ll see them then!”

Wow I had to re-post your message. The closest I ever got to Zeppelin was Page/Plant at VA. Beach in june/july of 1998. Very, very great performance! about 10th row. And I still have the concert t-shirt i bought from that concert. Friends and me..we all had a very great time..i didn't want to miss out on this special occasion that I refused to leave and grab some poison (aka beer) while the concert was goin on..Unlike 1977, A lot of people were thinking "hell, forget the beer! they MIGHT NOT be back." For their age in '98, they put out a very good, energetic show. We were all very surprised/shocked. Just as rocking as the old Marilyn Manson shows were before he SOLD OUT. Zeppelin fans are very laid back, easygoing and just wanna have fun. That's what we all saw from the show. Very good memories.

I must add, The KISS show was very good a few years ago while touring with Aerosmith (they blew them away stage-wise). Not a big KISS-fanatic, but their show was also almost as much fun as Page/Plant.

Personally, when I'm at home and in audiophile mode, I'll put my 200 gram vinyl masters on through my "hi-fi" (remember when they called it that? :lol: ).

If they do release another remaster, I'll buy it, but mostly for the packaging and the candy (are you listening Jimmy?). :whistle:

Mostly, CDs are (for me) for casual listening (on the Walkman, at a party, in the truck, etc). Call me crazy (or just old fashioned), but when I want to truly immerse myself in the music, it's the warmth of vinyl that calls. Even if I can't hear that squeaky pedal! :lol:

There's an organic atmosphere there that digital has not yet delivered.

Hey I'm with you about vinyl. Unfortunately, CDs are just more convenient in these ages. I do have several copies of each zeppelin album (even the immigrant song single), also in through the out door still in the paperbag and wrapped. Let me tell u, sometimes I just want to open it up like a kid on christmas opening gifts like crazy! First time I ever listened to Zeppelin I was on my record player with headphones...oohhhh..What An Experience!! CD just isn't the same for some reason..hhmmm..even on my Infiniti 5.1 system. I've heard that brand new vinyls sound so much better than a CD but that was like years ago..Who knows..just got to put my dollar in

My idea was to see both shows, but I was so burnt out from partying all day in the sun I went to the Oakland Coliseum the next day to sell my tickets.

Ouch! I'll bet that has hurt over and over again. At least you can say you've seen them. I love the Badgeholders bootleg. Would love to see a full length video of that one.

Ouch! I'll bet that has hurt over and over again. At least you can say you've seen them. I love the Badgeholders bootleg. Would love to see a full length video of that one.

The thing that bothers me most is I lost the second half of the show I recorded onto cassette. I have heard one boot that has the complete show, but that sounds like it was recorded far away in the stands. That's why any soundboard mixes should be released as is so people can feel what it was like to be there, with all the pauses between songs. Back then one assumed every show was recorded by the band with multi-tracks. Why not? But I'm not sure if even a soundboard mix exists for the 7-23-24-77 shows.

Is the "Badgeholders bootleg" a video one? And if so do you know how long it is? I don't think it ever made its way out into the world with the whole show complete. Perhaps his batteries died.

I remember the guy with the camera. Back then, those we're sort of rare and the camera alone was as big as today’s average sized camcorder with a thick wire going to a shoulder strap video recorder at least as big as 1' x 1' x 5" thick. Not the most comfortable thing to wear.

I've never seen a drummer hit his kit as hard as John Bonham played. And I've seen thousands of bands, from classic rock through the punk era 70's, 80's, 90's.

Personally, when I'm at home and in audiophile mode, I'll put my 200 gram vinyl masters on through my "hi-fi" (remember when they called it that? :lol: ).

If they do release another remaster, I'll buy it, but mostly for the packaging and the candy (are you listening Jimmy?). :whistle:

Mostly, CDs are (for me) for casual listening (on the Walkman, at a party, in the truck, etc). Call me crazy (or just old fashioned), but when I want to truly immerse myself in the music, it's the warmth of vinyl that calls. Even if I can't hear that squeaky pedal! :lol:

There's an organic atmosphere there that digital has not yet delivered.

From another post I wrote

Zeppelin Survived When the Levee Broke

QUOTE (zepsteve @ Jan 2 2008, 01:22 AM) post_snapback.gifi love the clarity of the cd but i miss playing my albums i gotta get anther record player B)

Katrina took my cd collection, the electrolytes in salt water have a way of ruining digitals, but guess what! my vinyl save for the jackets, carefully cleaned off the muck and pulled the ole sansui from the attic and first song "When the Levee Breaks" kinda ironic

:notworthy:

Archived