I Need That Record! Documentary

Jahfin

From Pitchfork.com:

Thurston, MacKaye, Watt in Record Store Documentary

Also: Glenn Branca, Noam Chomsky, members of Talking Heads, Of Montreal, Black Keys

48123.x-news-ineedthatrecordlogo-sm.jpg

Did you know that corporations tend to disregard the interests of small businesses, that people want to buy fewer physical copies of musical artifacts when they can get them on the internet for free, or that Fugazi frontman Ian MacKaye tends to interview for documentaries in kitchens while wearing a hoodie and a black beanie? If any of these things catches you by surprise, then a forthcoming documentary called I Need That Record! The Death (or Possible Survival) of the Independent Record Store will probably be very informative for you.

The movie, directed by Brendan Toller, explores the reasons why independently owned record shops are getting scarcer through interviews with MacKaye, Thurston Moore (Sonic Youth), Mike Watt (Minutemen), Patrick Carney (The Black Keys), Patterson Hood (Drive-By Truckers), Glenn Branca, Chris Frantz (Talking Heads), Lenny Kaye (Patti Smith Group), Bryan Poole (Of Montreal), writer Legs McNeil, smart dude Noam Chomsky, and plenty of music business folk across the U.S.

The rough cut of I Need That Record! premieres May 3 at Hampshire College in Amherst, Massachusetts, but the final cut and theatrical/DVD release are still forthcoming.

I Need That Record! Blog

Archived