STEVE WINDWOOD News

stevewinwood-ninelives.jpg

STEVE WINWOOD ON HIS NINTH LIFE:

Press Release / Columbia Records will release Steve Winwood's Nine Lives on April 29. The eagerly-awaited Nine Lives is Winwood's first full-length studio album since the artist released About Time on his own independent label, Wincraft, in 2003 and opens an important new chapter in Steve's extraordinary career. The musician also recently announced that he will head out on a national tour with Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers this summer for shows across the U.S.

Songs on Nine Lives include "I'm Not Drowning," "Fly,” “Raging Sea," "Dirty City," "We're All Looking," "Hungry Man," "Secrets," "At Times We Do Forget," and "Other Shore." Additionally, fellow musical legend Eric Clapton lends guitar work to “Dirty City.”

Dirty City Streaming Audio: www.columbiarecords.com/dropoff/drop/Winwood/DirtyCity.mp3.

thumbsup.gif

WATCH THE VIDEO

He'll be playing in BC at The Pemberton Music Festival July 25-27. Also on the bill, Tom Petty, Coldplay, Nine Inch Nails, Tragically Hip and many many more. Pemberton is just north of Whistler.

I heard a cut from this the other day on XM, sounded pretty damn good to me. Same for what I've heard of the new Van Morrison. And some say the old guys no longer have it. Looking forward to seeing Winwood with Tom Petty this summer except Petty should be opening for him not the other way around. Can't say I'm much of a Petty fan but it should be worth it for the Winwood factor.

We've seen him quite a few times, over the years. I always want to hear more Spencer Davis and Traffic stuff each time, some of his solo stuff is on the slow side for me. It seems he always opens with "Gimme some Lovin", and it's hard to maintain that type of feel good level at any show. My wife loves him, so it's great to have a common appreciation at a concert.

I saw the Spencer Davis Group around '98 or '99, they sucked. Of course, Stevie was missing, and the dude who played his part had big syntheziser, the bass player a five string bass and the drummer had way too much stuff to hit on... I have no idea what they were trying to do. I bet Stevie's solo conserts are far better. I'd love to see him if he tours in Sweden.

I saw the Spencer Davis Group around '98 or '99, they sucked. Of course, Stevie was missing, and the dude who played his part had big syntheziser, the bass player a five string bass and the drummer had way too much stuff to hit on... I have no idea what they were trying to do. I bet Stevie's solo conserts are far better. I'd love to see him if he tours in Sweden.

Saw him sometime in the 80's can't quite remember what year. He openned up with him on the piano

doing "Low Spark Of The High Heeled Boy's" brilliant show. I wish I could see him without TP & H. Small venue would be fantastic

At one show, one of Traffic's other original members came on stage - I can't remember which one, maybe Jim Capaldi? Anyway, they did a couple songs from John Barleycorn and I had to go change my undies...

Traffic played at Woodstock '94 during their reunion tour but things had gotten so muddy by that point I simply wasn't up to traveling from my camping spot over to the main stage to hear them (or Dylan or the Allman Brothers) but I could hear them all pretty good from where I was at.

Yes, I know.. but I can't make it to the show here.

I'm honestly not trying to be a smartass but if you knew he was touring how come you said, "I hope he tours, I'm dying to see him"?

So the tour with Tom Petty is the tour for Winwood's new album?

Again, I'm not trying to me short with you but have you read any of the posts in this thread thus far or ever bother to click on the links to the previous threads I posted?

Errg. I keep thinking that the Tom Petty tour has been going on for a long time. But it hasn't even started yet, I forgot. So what I meant was, I hope he does another one for the new album, because I didn't know that the one with Tom Petty is the one for the new album (is it?). It just messes me up how Steve Winwood is opening for Tom Petty, when I think it should be the other way around! Thats why I'm confused.. for some reason I just figured that if he were putting out a new album it would be a separate tour, his 'own' tour... but nevermind......... you are the thread king once again, good on you for keeping everyone in line! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Errg. I keep thinking that the Tom Petty tour has been going on for a long time. But it hasn't even started yet, I forgot. So what I meant was, I hope he does another one for the new album, because I didn't know that the one with Tom Petty is the one for the new album (is it?). It just messes me up how Steve Winwood is opening for Tom Petty, when I think it should be the other way around! Thats why I'm confused.. for some reason I just figured that if he were putting out a new album it would be a separate tour, his 'own' tour... but nevermind......... you are the thread king once again, good on you for keeping everyone in line! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

It's quite alright and thanks so much for not throwing a hissy fit as so many others do here when all I'm trying to do is help. Believe me, it is very much appreciated as I mean no harm.

Maybe there is another Winwood tour down the road but since this one with Petty lasts most of the summer I'm guessing this is it. I'm not sure why Winwood is opening instead of the other way around but keep in mind Petty also toured with Pearl Jam not so long ago and they also got the opening slot. Considering the state of the music business today pairing two big name artists together is just a way of trying to put asses in seats. In that regard I can't blame either one of them for that. Another possibility is that Winwood and Petty may get equal stage time as co-headliners. I have no idea about that though.

:beer:

Winwood and Petty should get equal stage time, but I can't picture that.

Why is that? I'm not sure if it is the case here but if so it wouldn't be the first someone did a co-headlining tour. I know in recent years I've seen Dylan tour with Paul Simon and Santana on separate tours where each performer got equal stage time. In the case of the Simon/Dylan show Paul Simon went on first (I think they flipped a coin each night). With Santana Dylan played first.

Petty and Pearl Jam? Blech. :lol:

I love me some Pearl Jam and would much rather see them than Petty. Unfortunately their current tour isn't bringing them to NC. I think they're waiting for Jesse Helms to die off first.

Why is that? I'm not sure if it is the case here but if so it wouldn't be the first someone did a co-headlining tour. I know in recent years I've seen Dylan tour with Paul Simon and Santana on separate tours where each performer got equal stage time. In the case of the Simon/Dylan show Paul Simon went on first (I think they flipped a coin each night). With Santana Dylan played first.

Oh, its just all the advertisements I've seen/heard for it have been calling it "Tom Petty! ..withspecial guestSteveWinwood." And I think even ticketmaster.ca only lists it as Tom Petty. On second thought though I can't imagine that Winwood would get shafted, considering he has been around a lot longer than Petty and is popular, obviously.

I love me some Pearl Jam and would much rather see them than Petty. Unfortunately their current tour isn't bringing them to NC. I think they're waiting for Jesse Helms to die off first.

Not really a Pearl Jam fan here... I'm not really a huuge Tom Petty fan either though!

Archived