St. Paul MN 4/13/77

snapper

I recently read that the St. Paul concert was considered to be the best show of the 77' tour by the entire band, and so did Grant and Cole.

I've been looking around for a boot of the show, but haven't had any luck.

Anybody heard it?

I recently read that the St. Paul concert was considered to be the best show of the 77' tour by the entire band, and so did Grant and Cole.

I've been looking around for a boot of the show, but haven't had any luck.

Anybody heard it?

I read a post by someone yesterday who attended the show the day before in Minneapolis. He stated he had a friend which went to both shows and according to the (second friend, the St.Paul show was "better". I think the poster said there were "no known tapes of either show..." at this time. I think this was in the "Zep '77 thread. Do a search in the LZ live section for it...

I was at the St. Paul show and it was the best concert I have ever seen. I have commented on the show before. There was a co-worker of mine who saw both shows and thought the St. Paul show was better than the Minneapolis show the preceeding night. But he liked them both. Unfortunately, it was the only time I saw Zeppelin so I can't comment on how it compares with other Zeppelin shows. I can say that the rhythm section was right on the money--solid, very very solid, and Jimmy's playing was what it should have been--electrifying. I am thinking of writing a full length review for the archives. Kashmir was really good----it had that weird electric energy to it and Page's guitar with with that open tuning was more prominent in the mix. It sounded raunchier, in a good way, than the studio version.

I was at both of these shows and the St. Paul show was better. The St. Paul Civic Center had better accustics. This was common knowledge around here, (that the Civic Center sounded better than the Sports Center in Bloomington, where the Minneapolis show really was).

The Bloomington show was reserved seating and the St. Paul show was general admission.

Also the set list was slightly diffferent. The second night they added "Trampled Underfoot" and they did both "Black Dog" and "Rock And Roll" as encores, (where the first night they only did one or the other for the ancore, but I don't remember witch one).

Hey, are you sure about the setlist?

Trampled Underfoot AND Rock'n'Roll AND Black Dog would be really unusual. But if they played BD as an encore, that shows, that the concert was really a special one for them.

Hey, are you sure about the setlist?

Trampled Underfoot AND Rock'n'Roll AND Black Dog would be really unusual. But if they played BD as an encore, that shows, that the concert was really a special one for them.

Trampled Under Foot was played after the acoustic set. Black Dog and Rock and Roll were the encores.

I was at the St. Paul show and it was the best concert I have ever seen. I am thinking of writing a full length review for the archives.

Please do, I would love to read your review of this 'as of yet' undocumented concert.

Thanks

Yes, I'm positive. "Trampled Underfoot" was earlier in the show. I did not mean to say it was an encore, if that's what you mean.

I remember the rhythm on "Trampled Underfoot" was right on the money.

No no, I didn't think that they played all three as encores.

It's still a interesting setlist, we know of only 2 other performances of Black Dog on the tour!

But yes, it makes sense: Three days before, they played TU after the acoustic set for the first time (originally it was the second encore). So they kept this revised setlist at least for two shows and when they wanted to play a second encore in St Paul, it had to be Black Dog.

In Cincinnati, TU was second encore again.

If I'm honest to myself, such deliberations are a bit crazy. Who cares about what song had which position in whatever setlist 31 YEARS AGO! :D

But for some reason it is simply interesting - maybe that's how a historian feels when he collects every single detail of something that happened hundereds of years ago...

Archived