Lets see.....Page rips off the old black bluesmans and makes a ton of money but someone gets pissed because bootleggers want to release the music that Page played that he ripped off. Interesting.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's so insignificant in the scheme of sales anyway. The bootleg manufacturers make 300, 500 maybe 1,000 total copies of each bootleg. That's not even pennies in the piggy bank of sales compared to even the least selling legitimately released cd or dvd by Led Zeppelin.

It's all to do over nothing.

It's so insignificant in the scheme of sales anyway. The bootleg manufacturers make 300, 500 maybe 1,000 total copies of each bootleg. That's not even pennies in the piggy bank of sales compared to even the least selling legitimately released cd or dvd by Led Zeppelin.

It's all to do over nothing.

Let's not detract from what is essentially an illegal activity.

However, I see where you're coming from, and you're right.

Hell, some of those Tarantura releases number only 100/200 hundred copies.

I agree wholeheartedly that people should freely distribute as many recorded shows as possible and that the crime is in selling these recordings.

Let`s bootleg the bootleggers!

This may be one good reason for Zeppelin themselves to house some of these types of things on their site just like the new Youtube video stuff.

...as an aside their paranoia over bootlegs in the past has hurt them as much as the actual bootlegging did as they destroyed video and audio recordings back in the seventies that I bet they wish existed now.....I know I certainly wish they were around now....

Edited by pop

I doubt the band has ever taken too significant of a financial hit from bootlegging. I would guess most people who own bootlegs already own every official release that the band ever put out or at least enough for the band to have turned a solid profit. How many high school stoner kids with "1977 Tour" shirts even know what a bootleg is?

With that being said; years ago I stepped into the level of fandom where official releases no longer quenched the thirst for Bonham, Page, Jonesy and Plant. I have never paid a nickel for any bootleg. However, should every bootleg I have in my collection magicly be available as official releases at a store near me, I'm jumping in my car right now, credit card in hand.

I agree that Page should release live shows (warts and all) the same way the Grateful Dead has been successfully releasing shows on Dick's Picks.

Very many of you have made very good points. I have no problem if there is no money exchanged. At the same time I had no idea there were so many bootlegs out there. It would be neat if there was a way to share them all with all zep fanatics. It kind of bothers me that there is so much material from my favorite band that I have never heard. If anyone is willing to share, please contact me or leave a message. I would have no problem paying for the cost of shipping or cost of blank cd's. Again, when I started this topic I was trying to say it was bad to sell bootlegs for a profit, but it's ok if you're sharing with friends. Thanks to all who gave their 2 cents.

I agree that Page should release live shows (warts and all) the same way the Grateful Dead has been successfully releasing shows on Dick's Picks.

Hear, hear. It won't happen though, and I doubt that the band have enough recordings left in the archive to warrant such a series of releases. Still, we can dream, eh? :)

Yes I'm a huge Deadhead (their music is miles apart from zeppelin; the similarities being that they are roots based, both jam and believe in the magic of music) but the other big difference being the massive number of Dead shows to pick music from. Zeppelin, when all is said and done didn't really perform very many shows......

I didn't mean that Zeppelin needs to release 30 something archived shows (or whatever number of Dick's Picks) is around, but there has to be at least a few shows worthy of release in their entirety. I picture something like HTWWW, but complete shows instead.

Who here wouldn't buy a boxed set of the HTWWW shows unedited?

Led Zeppelin has PLENTY of live shows from which they could do a Dick's Pick's type of series. Of course not as many as the Grateful Dead, but a pool of several hundred is nothing to scoff at.

If indeed Jimmy has many soundboard tapes as purported, especially Front of House ones from all those tours, someone will let them out of the bag someday if not him.

I didn't mean that Zeppelin needs to release 30 something archived shows (or whatever number of Dick's Picks) is around, but there has to be at least a few shows worthy of release in their entirety. I picture something like HTWWW, but complete shows instead.

Who here wouldn't buy a boxed set of the HTWWW shows unedited?

Exactly. That's my only beef is INCOMPLETE shows of official releases. With HTWWW..Sure, plant's voice may have F'd on immigrant song and mixed with the next show or page's tuning was off, and jones/bonham missed a note..cool..i'm fine with mixing a lil to make it sound more '72 live..but don't omitt songs! The bootleg versions of Louie, Louie and into Thank You were deepy missed. I think the 3 disc set could have been a lil more!

And BBC's...the 6'27'69 show should have been complete! instead of a 2 disc...at least a 3 disc set like HTWWW! Oh well..

Yes I'm a huge Deadhead (their music is miles apart from zeppelin; the similarities being that they are roots based, both jam and believe in the magic of music) but the other big difference being the massive number of Dead shows to pick music from. Zeppelin, when all is said and done didn't really perform very many shows......

Back in the day, I and most people I know never heard (of) The Grateful Dead.

There is a lot of conjecture as to who has had more shows (bootleg) recorded.

Who played more shows in the USA, The Dead or Led Zeppelin?

Do you include both bands "Rest of the World" shows?

Domestically, it would probably slightly, lean to towards The Dead.

Does anyone know exactly, how many shows both bands played in the US in their entirity?

Internationally, Led Zeppelin wins hands down.

I doubt The Dead has played in as many or unique places with such diverse cultures as Led Zeppelin.

As of January's list, here is the confirmed number of shows Led Zeppelin performed by country:

Australia 5

Austria 3

Belgium 5

Canada 21

Denmark 15

Finland 1

France 7

Germany 25

Iceland 1

(Free) Ireland 1

Italy 1

Japan 11

Netherlands 8

New Zealand 1

Norway 1

Sweden 12

Switzerland 6

UK (England) 105

UK (N. Ireland) 1

UK (Scotland) 7

UK (Wales) 4

United States 309

Grand Total 550

There are some 40 uncomfirmed dates still being researched at the moment. As far as the dead, I don't have a clue. I am not a Grateful Dead fan.

Can't break down the number of US shows, but the Dead played over 3000 concerts before they lost Jerry.

And of course, they pioneered the "Taper's section". Probably the most freely traded band in history.

I would tend to think this is pretty obvious but...

The issue with the bootlegs is quality, AND first impression.

If you're a fan you don't mind if it's a bit distorted or distant or muddy.

Now if you will, imagine you've never heard Led Zep and you wander into your local CD shop and pick up a copy of "Your worst sounding bootleg here" packaged to look like an official release. You run home pop it in the old disc player and...wow....that sounds like junk!!! This band is crap!!!! Should have bought Hannah Montana she has a great sounding CD!!!! DAMN!!!!!What a waste of money.The albums or CD's are the band, that's the only place they still exist. :bagoverhead: Your first impression should be the best it possibly can be. :beer:

Are you Badge Holders?

Zeppelin is the most bootlegged band ever. I don't even know if there's a band that's close to them. There's an article on the BBC from 1999 saying they are 1st over the Beatles with some 400 boots back then. But things have changed since then on the numbers in almost 10 years.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/422948.stm

Edited by NickZepp

The person who stole from Jimmy's home(I never knew that before reading this thread) will rot in hell as they should.

I don't have a problem with bootlegging. And I must say even for a profit.

I got my first boot back in the seventies. Who would take a recording, put it on 100's or 1000's of albums illegally of course, distribute it to stores or wherever and not make money from it. They are providing a service just like many companies.

I feel the same about ticket scalpers. These guys put out big bucks to buy tix and try to resell them. How many times do they not resell and they eat their investment. I don't think they make as much as everyone thinks. There are alot of costs and losses encountered with these ventures(like legal defense expense).

Same with the records(when it was records). They put out alot of cash and time to produce them and now they should only recoup their costs. Wow, I love zeppelin beyond but not to that point. I need to feed myself if you know what I mean.

As far as the question of should it be done. Why not. We have freedom of speech. Noone tells Robert what he can and cannot sing. Why should what he sings not be available for all to hear, even if the band chooses not to offically release that particular show.

I never knew about he Dead making all of their stuff available online. Jimmy should consider it. Imagine if he took all the boots and made a nonstop zeppelin bootleg station from it. If he wants to make all of the money from it he should release it all. Someone wrote earlier that all shows available will be copied and distributed either way. why don't they just accept this, tape it all, and put it all out there for us? This is my opinion in 2008(for the record).

It is the same with the tickets. They get upset because the scalpers make big bucks. Why don't they auction off half of the tix and make megabucks from those who are able to and willing to pay and have an auction for the rest of the tickets for practically free for the true fans who are lucky enough to win. This way they are getting the big bucks the scalpers now get and they can also hook up their diehard fans. I thought they should have done this for the 02 show.

Hail the bootleggers. Sorry Jimmy. Please don't hold it against me.

Edited by bigzepfan

A very good example of this is How the West Was One. Badly mixed, no plantations, dubbed crowd.

A Night At The Heartbreak Hotel (audience recording) has all the gig,with a great atmosphere and a pretty good sound to boot.

A very good example of this is How the West Was One. Badly mixed, no plantations, dubbed crowd.

A Night At The Heartbreak Hotel (audience recording) has all the gig,with a great atmosphere and a pretty good sound to boot.

What's the date for the A Night at the Heartbreak Hotel show? Or is it a compilation