Jason Bonham on Led Zeppelin Show: “Right Up Until the Last Minute, I Was Struggling”

Jahfin

***Unfortunately the link provided within the body of the article doesn't work. Hopefully the folks at Rolling Stone.com will fix that soon.

From RollingStone.com:

20274074-20274077-slarge.jpg

Jason Bonham recently talked to Rolling Stone’s David Fricke to discuss how he prepared for the Led Zeppelin reunion show and how he’s dealt with the legacy of his legendary father John.

***Unfortunately the link provided within the body of the article doesn't work. Hopefully the folks at Rolling Stone.com will fix that soon.

From RollingStone.com:

20274074-20274077-slarge.jpg

Jason Bonham recently talked to Rolling Stone’s David Fricke to discuss how he prepared for the Led Zeppelin reunion show and how he’s dealt with the legacy of his legendary father John.

I believe it...I can tell by his timing during the O2 show...Not quite like his father yet.(Don't forget...He was probably all tense, being his first big show...for the smart asses out there...you know what i mean when i make a saying such as, the "big show")He just has to work on his control a little bit and he will be "right on the money".

Practicing with the band would help him out a lot.

I believe it...I can tell by his timing during the O2 show...Not quite like his father yet.(Don't forget...He was probably all tense, being his first big show...for the smart asses out there...you know what i mean when i make a saying such as, the "big show")He just has to work on his control a little bit and he will be "right on the money".

Practicing with the band would help him out a lot.

:rolleyes:

Ah, bugger - none of you guys were able to read the article then? I was able to download it earlier this afternoon, but the web site has always been wonky; it goes thru like 4 windows before you get the damn thing you wanted.

If it's any consolation, the article was pretty short. I'll look elsewhere for it.

ehh bella...you don't believe it?

I've said it before and I'll say it again. It rattles my cage a bit that Jason is forever being compared to his father. I know that it will always be like that, but I really wish folk would take a step back and see Jason as a talented musician in his own right. As well as a very gifted drummer, he is a self taught keyboard player, he writes, he has a very soulful, strong singing voice (underused in my book...please sing more Jason!!) and..worth a mention...a damn fine motocross rider! :)

The article in full :)

jasonbonhambestdrummerrfm9.png

jasonbonhanbestdrummerrsp5.png

Thank you for this. I think Jason had more to lose, and more to prove then anyone else on that stage.

He came through with flying colors. It has to be a great feeling of accomplishment, not only for Jason, but for his 3 surrogate fathers of music. I am sure they are incredibly proud of him. As fans, we couldn't have asked for more...Yet... :D

The issue of full partnership is raised in the article, and I think it will be very interesting indeed to see if the other three extend it to him in the future. My personal opinion is up

to the night of the 02 he served admirably as an occasional replacement for his father.

One could argue, and he does seem to agree, he earned his wings that night, thereby

setting the stage for further evolution of the band as a full partner. Exciting to consider.

"I came in two bars too soon in Dazed and Confused"

hmm didn't he previously blame it on Jimmy?

Yes, I believe he told a forum member who met him at NAMM that it was Jimmy's fault. Maybe he wanted to cleanse his soul and so 'fessed up :D

I've said it before and I'll say it again. It rattles my cage a bit that Jason is forever being compared to his father. I know that it will always be like that, but I really wish folk would take a step back and see Jason as a talented musician in his own right. As well as a very gifted drummer, he is a self taught keyboard player, he writes, he has a very soulful, strong singing voice (underused in my book...please sing more Jason!!) and..worth a mention...a damn fine motocross rider! :)

Well Said Miss Honeydripper!!! I remember there was some "discussions" about whether Jason was the appropriate drummer for this show & I thought the same thing: STOP comparing Jason to his father! Jason is a great drummer in his own right!

I thought Jason did great at the O2 show. On some songs especially, like Good Times Bad Times, Kashmir and Dazed and Confused. Also For Your Life, and Trampled Underfoot. I thought he was a bit lacking in groove on Nobodys Fault, and In My Time Of Dying could've been better from his point of view, but overall, he really came of age :)

"I came in two bars too soon in Dazed and Confused"

hmm didn't he previously blame it on Jimmy?

I believe it was a forum member that said that Jason blamed Jimmy. :)

Anway. Jason did awesome at th 02. He really shone.

Aye, 'tis true.

I bet Zak Starkey never has any of this :lol:

zak was crucified the 1st complete tour with the who....unreasonably, i might add. although he maybe technically a better drummer than his old man, his dad created the drums on the number one music canon ever released, i bet he can relate to jason very well...

Anyone who replaced John Bonham would face up to scrutiny - Jason moreso because he had to prove he didn't get the job just because he was the son.

I think he did a brilliant job. People (many of them i suspect non-musicians) have been hard on Jason for a number of reasons. He came in early on D&C...its a small error which doesn't even compare to some of the trainwrecks Zeppelin produced in '77, for example, where Page, himself Dazed and Confused, would start playing the wrong riffs etc and the rest of the band had to catch up. But oh no - we can't mention that - Jimmy Page never makes mistakes, right? He's the band leader and it's his perogative to do whatever he wants, right?

The issue of full partnership is raised in the article, and I think it will be very interesting indeed to see if the other three extend it to him in the future. My personal opinion is up

to the night of the 02 he served admirably as an occasional replacement for his father.

One could argue, and he does seem to agree, he earned his wings that night, thereby

setting the stage for further evolution of the band as a full partner. Exciting to consider.

As you see today,versus 3-4 months ago,has the level in "the well"changed ,or does it remain the same?

As you see today,versus 3-4 months ago,has the level in "the well"changed ,or does it remain the same?

So far as I've seen the well remains dry. It has yet to be confirmed just what they were

working on. "New material" is ambiguous; the original point of the well being dry remains open for debate.

Anyone who replaced John Bonham would face up to scrutiny - Jason moreso because he had to prove he didn't get the job just because he was the son.

I think he did a brilliant job. People (many of them i suspect non-musicians) have been hard on Jason for a number of reasons. He came in early on D&C...its a small error which doesn't even compare to some of the trainwrecks Zeppelin produced in '77, for example, where Page, himself Dazed and Confused, would start playing the wrong riffs etc and the rest of the band had to catch up. But oh no - we can't mention that - Jimmy Page never makes mistakes, right? He's the band leader and it's his perogative to do whatever he wants, right?

:lol: Good point. A long time ago somebody played me a tape of them getting lost in Kashmir (I'm amazed they didn't more often!)! Maybe you all have heard this. I don't have any boots, so I don't know if it's a popular one. Some of their songs make me nervous- it would be so easy to mess up, like NFBM, too. When I watch ice skating, I have to peek through my fingers, because I'm so afraid they'll fall- that's how I watch Zeppelin performances.

Archived