Horse Racing Thread

overthehillsandfaraway

It was a GREAT race! American Pharoah laid the wood to 'em! Wire to wire was impressive. Walter Jr is all fired up about seeing a triple crown winner for the first time in his life.

Which of the three TC races is the longest in distance?

It was a GREAT race! American Pharoah laid the wood to 'em! Wire to wire was impressive. Walter Jr is all fired up about seeing a triple crown winner for the first time in his life.

Which of the three TC races is the longest in distance?

The Belmont. It's a mile and a half. That's why so many horses don't win.

Congrats to American Pharoah and his people- Bob Baffert, Victor Espinoza, the Zayat family and the ones behind the scenes you don't hear about (groom, exercise rider, etc)! He looked so beautiful in his victory, I hope they don't decide to retire him right away and run him in the Travers at Saratoga and the Breeders Cup later this year.

This is like when Susan Lucci finally won her Emmy.

At last a Tripple Crown winner after the drought since 1978, when little Stevie Cauthen masterfully guided Affirmed to the Triple Crown over Alydar.

Rick won his bet...but with the short odds, unless he bet a ton of money he didn't win a lot.

• 2 months later...

Race 13 tonight at a harness track in the Pocono's called Pocono Downs is a horse named Red Zeppelin. A speed horse that is likely dropping in class big time off the ship in from Canada. He is 3-1 morning line and I put a couple bucks on his nose. I have bigger fish to fry at Del Mar.

• 2 months later...

The Melbourne Cup is on tomorrow.

http://www.races.com.au/melbourne-cup/

In the last race in Melbourne on Saturday there was a horse named Kaepernick who came in second last!?

https://www.racing.com/form/2015-10-31/flemington/race/9/results

So is this race at 3 EST?  I will look on Expressbet.  Do you like a certain horse?

The Melbourne Cup is on tomorrow.

http://www.races.com.au/melbourne-cup/

In the last race in Melbourne on Saturday there was a horse named Kaepernick who came in second last!?

https://www.racing.com/form/2015-10-31/flemington/race/9/results

I just learned from a friend it ran last night.  That sucks.  I would have bet it. Time difference is just too far

Prince of Penzance at 100 to 1 won it and it was the first time a female jockey won the race.

Dang.  Wish I had seen it.  Today in race 9 at Aqueduct in NY, the 5 horse, Lemon Song, has a big shot.  Not a maiden, has won before at big price.  Today 5-1 morning line.  I like him.

• 6 months later...

Wow, no triple crown fans here?  Anyway, this horse Nyqvist that won the Kentucky Derby, for those that had no clue, is going to be tough in the shorter Preakness being he is a front running type.  Tactical speed to say the least.  Never lost besides.  I think he wins and likely gets his shot in the mile and a half Belmont.  But that could be dicey.  Remember one thing, though we had to wait 37 years for a Triple Crown winner, the last time we had one, Seattle Slew and Affirmed won back to back

• 2 months later...

Race 5 at Saratoga one again we have a Led Zeppelin named horse.  Dyer  Maker is 12-1 and is a first time maiden.  Meaning only workouts are available and this is the first race ever run by this young horse and I would guess the owner is a big Zeppelin fan.  Oh yes, I am using him in the Pick 4 that starts in race 2.  I hit the first one of the season.  I am going to Del Mar in SD in August

• 1 month later...

Once again our connections have our Led Zeppelin fan owner at Saratoga going to the post in the last race, the 10th with  the 3 horse named Dyer Maker.    Yes that old song that hit the top 40 and now we simply need this horse to run big.  It is a Maiden race, NY state breds  Maiden meaning no horse has ever one a race in this field.  They are all 2 year old "babies" and its wide open.  So its worth a small shot.  If he wins he likely will pay decent.  I will let you know.  

• 1 month later...

Sometimes I wish i was born in the UK.   I love racing on the Turf.  Its better to handicap in my opinion.    Route races that are  1 1/4 miles and up.  No matter the post you can overcome.  You have time to negotiate the course and overcome any disadvantageous draw or even being blocked at some point  As long as you do not check the horse badly, you have a shot

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The major prep races are on the horizon to determine who will be in this years Kentucky Derby.  So will e have a repeat of 1977-78?  When we had two in a row?  I think its highly unlikely but who knows.  I mean a triple crown winner.  Last year we had American Pharoah, who was the first to do it in 38 years.  AFleet Alex should have and would have if he had a better post.  That was on Giacomo day.  The day the triple crown was finally won, the NY Goernor Cuomo could not attend as two inmates in Clinton NY escaped from a maximum security penitentiary.  Ruining it for Cuomo.