Horse Racing Thread

overthehillsandfaraway

What a great performance by Rachel Alexandra! I was a little concerned when she reached the half in 46 & change, thought it was a little too fast for a 1 & 3/16 mile race, but she held on. Borel said after the race that "Rachel" wasn't handling the track very well, so if that's true she definitely showed everyone what a real champion she is.

"Mine" finished very well with another great closing effort. Even though he didn't win, he has nothing to be ashamed about- he proved he belongs with the top 3 year olds. Pimlico is not kind to deep closers, and yet he was only a length behind "Rachel". Wouldn't be surprised if he reversed that in the Belmont.

I had to try and get greedy. As you can see I had the first two in correct order but had the wrong one third. I only bet $2 on the Tri. I usually bet more on this race but this year I didnt like it much. I think that Mine that Bird will be the favorite in the longer Belmont. If the race was a mile and a half he would have won. But have to see who else gets entered.

I agree that Mine That Bird will be the fave for the Belmont, and most likely will win it...especially since he has the breeding for it (Birdstone). I actually hope they do NOT run Rachel Alexandra in the Belmont...I just have a not-so-good feeling about that for her, and would be worried. :(

Sharon

I had already thought the same thing. I agree. I dont want to see a horse hurt and another black eye for the sport of kings. Mine that Bird will be the favorite. I have an exacta in mind already. Him on top of the sixth place finisher yesterday that ran well late. But must see the rest of the field and entries.

Can't remember for the life of me...who ran 6th again? Thanks! :)

Sharon

• 1 month later...
They scratched him, for those who don't understand, he did not run. He will run another day. Good horse.

I haven't followed horse racing for the last few years except for the Triple Crown races & the Breeders Cup, but I remember that when I did, I always felt that when a horse was scratched the trainer should be required to give an explanation why. Was the horse sick or lame? Maybe the trainer decided that they didn't like the post position drawn, or that the horse wouldn't be able to handle the track condition. I think that the betting public should have the right to know, and that this info should also be included in the PP's in the Racing Form like this:

Entered 7/19/09 3Bel 3YO Mdn Sp Wt scr- fever

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I have followed horse racing since the 70s and I can never remember a Belmont stakes that had no horse that won either the Kentucky Derby or the Preakness. This should be a grade 2 race. The undercard may be better than the Belmont itself. From a wagering standpoint, it may be good? Might catch a big price especially for second or third.

I have followed horse racing since the 70s and I can never remember a Belmont stakes that had no horse that won either the Kentucky Derby or the Preakness. This should be a grade 2 race. The undercard may be better than the Belmont itself. From a wagering standpoint, it may be good? Might catch a big price especially for second or third.

Actually it happened recently, in 2006- Barbaro, the Derby winner was injured at the start of the Preakness and never raced again, and the winner of that race, Bernardini, didn't run in the Belmont.

In the past, the 3 year old champion was mainly determined by their showing in the Triple Crown races and the Travers Stakes. But ever since the start of the Breeders Cup, more trainers are making the decision to skip some of those races (unless of course a Triple Crown is at stake) to point them towards the Breeders Cup races in the fall instead. Running a horse hard 3 times in 5 weeks can and has taken a toll on many promising 3 year olds who are nowhere to be found on the last Saturday in October.

Actually it happened recently, in 2006- Barbaro, the Derby winner was injured at the start of the Preakness and never raced again, and the winner of that race, Bernardini, didn't run in the Belmont.

In the past, the 3 year old champion was mainly determined by their showing in the Triple Crown races and the Travers Stakes. But ever since the start of the Breeders Cup, more trainers are making the decision to skip some of those races (unless of course a Triple Crown is at stake) to point them towards the Breeders Cup races in the fall instead. Running a horse hard 3 times in 5 weeks can and has taken a toll on many promising 3 year olds who are nowhere to be found on the last Saturday in October.

Good point. I stand corrected on that. I forgot about that horse. I kind of lost interest in that particular race after the tragedy. The Breeders Cup is actually the best day of raciing.

Lets try and box 4,3,6,11 and if you only want to play one horse, take a shot with the 4, Make Music for Me. Hey, it kind of fits this site doesn't it? Joel Rosario comes 3000 miles across the country to get the mount. Good jockey and this horse could be a nice price in a wide open race. Like Provisio in teh seventh race and Amen Hallelujah in teh ninth. Cheers!!!ck.gif

The pick six carryover at Belmont Park in New York is close to 3 million dollars today. For those that don't understand, if nobody hits the pick six, picking the winners of races 4-9 (at Belmont, different from track to track) then it carries over like the lottery. The thing is, your odds of winning are astronomicallly better than of hitting the lottery. Using the permutation formula in statistics can give you the actual odds based on the number of horses but realistically if you know how to handicap, your odds are far better. I won it last year on two combo's. I bet $4 and got back $1100. And that was with a $43,000 carryover and 5 out of 6 were favorites, which is why it didnt pay more. Today it is very winable, and if several people put their money together and pooled it, it could be hit. I did the handicapping and to walk away feeling good about my chances I would have had to spend $48 minimum. So I just took a shot and bet $12. I won the first one already as I type. One down and five to go. LOL. But it is not an impossible task folks. The biggest enemy can be the weather on a day like this. They are calling for rain and have taken the last race off the Turf in anticipation. So I used a horse with a 495 Tomlinson wet track figure, a number that is come up with using stats from offspring of that particular horse's sire and percentage of wins by the offspring over wet tracks. A very usefull tool by handicappers. I have bet some win bets and doubles to cover myself. I see the TVG handicappers agree with me on the next leg and like the horse that is dropping in class. I dont play the pick six very often, but on a day like this where the carry over is huge, because of Belmont Stakes day, its worth taking a shot. This years Travers at Saratoga will be a very good race. The Derby winner and Preakness and Belmont winners will all go head to head and other good horses as well. I will make the drive up to Saratoga on a weekday and its beautiful there. A friend of mine who used to go to the Derby every year has told me some real funny stories. One guy was so drunk the firemen came and hatcheted the stall down that he was in as he was too drunk to open the door of the mens room. Another guy bought ten mint julips. (one will get you drunk if you are not used to it) and he fell and broke all the glass's. Ten bucks a drink, because you get the suevenier glass.

So how did you do Silvermedalist? I see the Pick 6 paid over $550K.

Not good. But that is what I get for spending $12. No favorites came in at all. Strange day. Not my day. Ill live another one. Going to Saratoga!!! I had 3 of 6.

I should mention, when these things get up there, the heavy hitters come out. Its probably better to try and hit one when its an average day, you could get lucky and take the whole pool or close to it if you can get home with a couple of longshots.

Edited by silvermedalist

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Race two tomorrow at Saratoga the five horse is named Early Argument. Elaine Castillo, a hot female jockey is making the four and a half hour trip from Finger Lakes to ride the horse who is a Finger Lakes shipper. Big shot. Bet him across the board and I think you will walk away happy. If you like doubles, use the 2,5,6 in race one with the 5 in race two. Saturday is Travers day. It will be a rock concert like atmosphere. Wide open race this Travers. A horse called Fly Down could be a nice price play. Look for horses that have handled the high weights well before. 126 lbs is more weight than usual to carry. The allowance in these stakes the weight can be big. And It is a grade one. A multi million dollar race.:drinks:

If anyone is really interested in either card, Saratoga, Del Mar feel free to pm me.

Race two tomorrow at Saratoga the five horse is named Early Argument. Elaine Castillo, a hot female jockey is making the four and a half hour trip from Finger Lakes to ride the horse who is a Finger Lakes shipper. Big shot. Bet him across the board and I think you will walk away happy. If you like doubles, use the 2,5,6 in race one with the 5 in race two. Saturday is Travers day. It will be a rock concert like atmosphere. Wide open race this Travers. A horse called Fly Down could be a nice price play. Look for horses that have handled the high weights well before. 126 lbs is more weight than usual to carry. The allowance in these stakes the weight can be big. And It is a grade one. A multi million dollar race.:drinks:

If anyone is really interested in either card, Saratoga, Del Mar feel free to pm me.

Well this is NRYA's big weekend. The Travers Stakes on Saturday and Rachael Alexander running on Sunday in the Personal Ensign Stakes. There's a guaranteed million dollar Pick 4 wager and a special daily double linking the Travers and the Ensign races over the two days.

Bet early and often, good luck.

Well this is NRYA's big weekend. The Travers Stakes on Saturday and Rachael Alexander running on Sunday in the Personal Ensign Stakes. There's a guaranteed million dollar Pick 4 wager and a special daily double linking the Travers and the Ensign races over the two days.

Bet early and often, good luck.

The Travers is like a Rolling Stones concert. I need either the 4 or 6 to win the sixth race at Saratoga right now to hit the pick three. Fingers crossed. The Travers is wide open this year. Big race at Del Mar tomorrow too, out west. Richards Kid is in there. Ill take a shot with Fly Down in the Travers/ One thing to look for in these 3 year old route races. Look for horses that can andn have previously handled the higher weight allowance. Look at breeding. Look at workouts. Certain jockeys do well at certain tracks. For instance, Borel wins at Churchill like crazy but he is terrible at Saratoga. I prefer closers to speed horses, especially in routes. And if you see more than one speed horse a duel is ensured setting it up for closers. If Fly Down does not fire, Ice Box has the hot jockey Lepereux. Good luck. Oh man. Just saw the odds on my pick three horses. 6=1 and 30-1. Ouch. 6-1 has a fair shot. If the 30 -1 wins its a signer