Horse Racing Thread

overthehillsandfaraway

• 2 weeks later...

Oh man. Heavy rain forcast for today in the Baltimore area. Can you confirm if you read this EBK? The Preakness tomorrow, and the forcast is for sun. So the track can dry in time for the big race. Many believe this California Chrome is the horse that will end a 34 year drought of a triple crown winner? I feel pretty good about tomorrow. But the Belmont? I have to wait and see. The Belmont has been a graveyard to previous hopeful's like Big Brown. Afleet Alex had a bad trip in the Derby or he would and should have won.

Rain stopped around 10 this morning Rick. It should be fine by tomorrow.

Thanks for that. I hope the Turf course dries out. The 3 horse that won the Derby, California Chrome, cannot lose this race on paper. And I am not expecting him to lose it on the track either. If you are playing exotics, the only way to make any money on a race like this, I recommend a pick 4 starting in race 9 and in the Preakness wheel the 3 over the 2,8,10. If he wins the excitement starts again. We thought Big Brown was a cinch. I will have to see the field. But first there is tomorrow to get through.

My pick 4 in race 9. 50 cent combo and a total of $3. 7,9,10 with 10 with 3,8 with 3. Subject to scratches of course.

Preakness Stakes .10 cent superfecta box 3,2,8,10 cost is $2.40

Edited by LedZeppfan77

Good news for California Chrome- the NYRA stewards are going to let him wear the nasal strip in the Belmont. A few years ago they refused to let I'll Have Another wear one but he was scratched the day before the Belmont with a leg injury.

Here we go again. Do you think this is the one? I am not convinced after he had to really battle to win the much shorter Preakness. Does the 3 and a half decade drought end or do we see another horse bite the dust at the Belmont's gruelling mile and a half race.

Worked a half day and took the kidos to Lone Star track today....very muddy......good times!

Ah you go to Lone Star? I have bet it a couple times at local OTB. Isn't Sam Houston down there too? I like the Fairgrounds but you have to be up on what is going on. Like Oaklawn you do not see much of it. So is this horse the real deal? I am not sure yet

I think crome will do it next week.....Lone Star Park is pretty cool and clean enough to take kids to.

Here are a few more pics I took....

So quite old some look? Is Sam Houston part of the same circuit down there? As for Cal Chrome, he did have to fight to beat the offspring of Curlin, a great horse in his day. The Belmont being a mile and a half I do not think he would have won on that day if it had been that distance. Curlin's baby would have reeled him in. But there will be a different field no doubt and no doubt the Curlin horse will run. And General A Rod is the type of horse that I may put my money on. I like to bet closer's anyway and always in a marathon race like the Belmont. I wish the Belmont were run on Turf. I prefer Turf racing anyway, European style racing. I like large fields and turf races longer than 1 1/8 miles. You can seperate the talent in races of long distances and bad luck can be overcome. Such as being bumped hard leaving the gate or having little room to maneuver without compromising your position and having to check. If you check your horse you are done. This dirt marathon has been a graveyard to many a triple crown hopeful. Even the great Secretariat did not have to beat many horses to take down the triple crown. These 20 horse fields in the KD can really hurt a horse's chances and it denied Afleet Alex the triple crown due to traffic. He was a monster that would have won if not for traffic.

I gave the pics an antique effect along with and old frame effect....got some cool post production stuff for pics on my new phone......Im not sure about the Texas race circuit. ...Im thinking your correct about it. Most of the horses that ran today are from Texas, some from this area.

Edited by zepscoda

I gave the pics an antique effect along with and old frame effect....got some cool post production stuff for pics on my new phone......Im not sure about the Texas race circuit. ...Im thinking your correct about it. Most of the horses that ran today are from Texas, some from this area.

I have seen a few Texas breds in NY before. But rare. Kentucky, Florida and Cal and NY are the most known and common. Kentucky breds were always the best back in the day. Now the other's, expecially Fl and Cal have caught up a bit. So do you think Cal Chrome wins the triple crown and ends the 34 year hex? Even VISA bailed out. Remember they were going to put up $5 million? I have to see the form and see the field before I decide. Now I have hit a button that does this to my letters. Does anyone know what this is? fuck

OK, today we find out if we have our first triple crown winner in over three decades or not. I am skeptical at the least. I believe the 9 horse Wicked Strong may ruin the party. The 4 could also. And so too could the 5, the Curlin bred horse that could do better with the added distance. Would he have caught CC in the Preakness had the race been and eighth of a mile longer? We have been down this road many times only to find disappointment in the end. This horse is not as fond to me as Afleet Alex was. A horse that should have won the triple crown but was beaten by luck of the draw. He weaved in and out of traffic and almost pulled off the Derby. Then he clobbered Giacamo in teh Preakness and Belmont and proved he was indeed the better horse. The fact that California Chrome did not win the Preakness in big fashion worries me alot. I have bet an exacta box of 2,9. Cal Chrome with Wicked Strong. Trifecta 2,9 with 2,9 with 5, 4, 10. The undercard is very good. All but the first race or two are half million dollar graded races.

Race 6 I like an ex. 8 with 2,7,9

Edited by LedZeppfan77

Steve Coburn, owner of California Chrome, his after race rant has comments pouring into websites, more chastising him than supporting him. I do think he has some merit to his argument. A rested horse that a trainer "sandbagged" to knock out a Triple Crown winner, may be going a bit far, but I do agree that the rest factor is big and a horse should have to run in one of the first two jewels to qualify. Too larger is the Kentucky Derby field these days. It cost Afleet Alex the Crown he deserved. Coburn has sure got people fighting over his post race rant on national TV. If you missed it, I am sure its online to see. He called them a bunch of cheaters and really called out the entire system. I am a bit surprised this has not been done before. I do think its gotten a bit crazy. Of course in Europle and Australia there are large fields often in turf (races on the grass) races. Turf races are usually longer races and not as often sprints. I did not like CC's chances because of his Preakness. I thought it was too difficult a win for him to come back and win at a mile and a half. Back to the drawing board

I thought that's the way it was - that they had to run in one or the other to get in at Belmont. That rule should be changed, IMO, for the betterment of the sport. Chrome gave it all he could, not a bad run - just not a winning run. You could see his legs start to straighten and lose their push coming off turn 4. Beautiful horse.

I thought that's the way it was - that they had to run in one or the other to get in at Belmont. That rule should be changed, IMO, for the betterment of the sport. Chrome gave it all he could, not a bad run - just not a winning run. You could see his legs start to straighten and lose their push coming off turn 4. Beautiful horse.

I never believed he was the type of horse that could win at that gruelling distance. I do feel for the owner but his horse was not going to win that race. But I agree the rule should change. A horse can be entered as long as their is not a Triple crown on the liine

Edited by LedZeppfan77

I understand what Steve Coburn was saying- believe me I really wanted Chrome to win & was hoping he would finally be the one- but Secretariat faced all fresh horses in the Belmont except 1 ( Sham ran in all 3) and Seattle Slew & Affirmed also had many fresh contenders to deal with as well...it's not called The Test of Champions for nothing. Chrome did have a gash on his hoof after the race so that could have affected his performance. I hope we see more of him down the road, especially the Breeders Cup Classic.

I understand what Steve Coburn was saying- believe me I really wanted Chrome to win & was hoping he would finally be the one- but Secretariat faced all fresh horses in the Belmont except 1 ( Sham ran in all 3) and Seattle Slew & Affirmed also had many fresh contenders to deal with as well...it's not called The Test of Champions for nothing. Chrome did have a gash on his hoof after the race so that could have affected his performance. I hope we see more of him down the road, especially the Breeders Cup Classic.

I remember those battles between Sunday Silence and Easy Goer and those were some great races. You do not see that anymore. I do feel the Derby field of 20 is just crazy. I think 16 is enough. Afleet Alex was a champion. Only a huge field cost him, terrible traffic problems. that you cannot overcome. Now Coburn went off on National TV. Good thing he doesnt have to show his face at Belmont daily. LOL

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well I had a nice day at Del Mar, hitting a pic 3 twice, that ended with the Bing Crosby grade 1 stakes and having the 9-1 shot winner Big Macher. The only thing I did wrong all day was miss the late pick 4 by a head in the 8th race. It was criminal to me. My horse was blocked in the stretch and altered course twice and still almost caught the winner, losing by a head. I netted over $600 for the day, not bad. California is calling me as is Baltimore. Next year for sure

• 3 months later...

Well I have bought the Daily Racing Form past performances for Friday and Saturday for Santa Anita ( The Breeders Cup) in California where it will be held this year. Some great racing Strider in your neck of the woods if you happen to read this. It is now split into a two day event. Many different categories such as the Sprint (6 furlongs on the dirt), the Turf (on grass and distances of a mile and also a mile and a quarter). The Classic is one of the richest purses in horse racing. Only the Dubai World Cup is more, not the Kentucky Derby. So far I like a horse called Tonalist, and I do like California Chrome to be in the trifecta. I may post some horses later if anyone is inclined to take a shot

Edited by LedZeppfan77

My studying is complete. Next post on this thread i am going to give my picks for the two days of Breeders Cup races at Santa Anita in LA. Horses have been thrown in from Europe for this annual event, the championship day of horse racing. In various categories. A better two days of racing than you can get any time. Better than the Kentucky Derby. And equal at least to the Dubai World Cup and the fabulous undercard. So my picks are coming.

Breeders Cup for Friday and Saturday at Santa Anita. You can bet horses to win, place and show. You can play the exotics, where the money is, such as exacta's, trifecta's, pick three, pick 4, daily doubles, etc

Friday

Race 1 (not part of the BC, but I like the trifecta a bit. 1, 6 w 1,5,6,11,13 w 4,12 (.50 cent tri's accepted)

Race 2 Ex 1 w 3,7

Race 3 BC Juvenile Fillies I love the number 4 horse My Fiona

Race 4 8w 6,12 ex

Race 5 11 Damascus Stakes like this horse alot Bahamian Squall

Race 6 4 4 w 1,5,9 BC Juvenile

Race 71 1-8-,3,4,10 Tri BC Juv Turf

Race 8 2, 14 ex box Juv Fillies

Race 9 10 Untapable like this horse alot. BC Distaff

Saturday

Race 1 (123) Tri shot

Race 2 2,6 Juvenile (using in pick 3 or 4)

Race 3 1,3 w 5,7 w 13 Tri part wheel

Race 4 12 over 1,2,3 ex/Tri Juv Fillies

Race 5 9 Paranda like this horse alot in a tough field w 7.8, 10

Race 6 5 Artemis Agroteia B & C F & M Sprint

Race 7 1,15-7 ex

Race 8 1-13 Ex BC Juv

Race 9 3 BC Turf

Race 10 6 Rich Tapestry w 10,12

Race11 2 Obviously and 5 Tornado box BC Mile

Race 12 Breeders Cup Classic 11 Tonalist 13 California Chrome 9 Toast of New York

The Melbourne Cup is on next Tuesday 4th November.

Still a couple of qualifying races to go until the field of up to 24 runners is finalised.

It's a good value race as the favourite usually pays between $4 - $7, sometimes more.

No clear favourite as yet.

We only have win/place (each way where the win is paid and the place is paid on first, second and third, no show betting), quinella, trifecta, quadrella, superfecta, daily and feature doubles, parlays and all up etc.

There is an online betting agency here in Oz called Tom Waterhouse Betting offering $25 million for a $10 wager if you can pick the first ten finishers in order.

Tom is the son and grandson of Robbie and Bill Waterhouse, bookmakers who were warned off racecourses in the 1980's for the Fine Cotton switch.

His mother Gai trained her first Melbourne Cup winner in 2013, is the daughter of Tommy Smith trained two Melbourne Cup winners.