Plant/Krauss review & photos

andmoreagain

Yep, checked my email and I stand very corrected. It's at the Greek Theater in Los Angeles. Dunno why I had it in my mind that it was at the Hollywood Bowl.

The other Greek Theater in in Berkeley, California. That's where I had my college graduation ceremony.

Great reviews--thank you all for sharing

I have a question...what was the crowds reaction and what type of people were at the shows? I'm curious to know if it'll be a mix bag of people and fans.

I'm kicking myself for not getting the tickets to the Tennessee shows but I'm still hopeful that they'll play closer to the crossroads again...like Nashville or what not LOL

I was at the Knoxville show. The fans ranged from senior citizen to teenager. It was really cool. The crowd was energetic and explosive when they sang the Zepp tunes. Singing along with Robert Plant- Awesome!

The last stop on the tour is Nashville. I think in July. You must go. You'll love it! Check out their web site for tour dates.

Now I am going to add to the rumors of a Zepp tour. Before Robert left the stage for the final time he said and I quote,"see you soon." Maybe he is referring to a solo tour or maybe he is going to make many people very happy.

Piper

I was at the Knoxville show. The fans ranged from senior citizen to teenager. It was really cool. The crowd was energetic and explosive when they sang the Zepp tunes. Singing along with Robert Plant- Awesome!

The last stop on the tour is Nashville. I think in July. You must go. You'll love it! Check out their web site for tour dates.

Now I am going to add to the rumors of a Zepp tour. Before Robert left the stage for the final time he said and I quote,"see you soon." Maybe he is referring to a solo tour or maybe he is going to make many people very happy.

Piper

Please don't flame me but Robert has said "see you soon" at many shows. I think it's just a parting statement not meant for anything more than that :)

Piper

He says that all the time. I recall he once said that in Los Angeles and it took 4 years before he reappeared, so he wanders a lot.

I have a question...what was the crowds reaction and what type of people were at the shows? I'm curious to know if it'll be a mix bag of people and fans.

I'm kicking myself for not getting the tickets to the Tennessee shows but I'm still hopeful that they'll play closer to the crossroads again...like Nashville or what not LOL

I thought the crowd on Sunday night in Louisville was mostly Led Zeppelin fans. There were, of course your ususal drunks and obnoxious people yelling "Rock~n~roll" etc. Overall, the crowd was good, it was sold out and packed! A few guys were yelling "I love you" to Alison occasionally. Of course when they performed Led Zeppelin songs the crowd went crazy and sang along. I saw a lot of Zeppelin T-shirts. There were all age groups too. The Louisville Palace Theatre is a smaller venue and it has around 2700 seats. A buddy of mine that worked the show told me than when they booked the first two shows and sold out so fast that they were going to book shows in larger venues like Rupp Arena in Lexington, KY which is around 20,000 seats. I prefer the more intimate setting like the Palace myself. I hope you get to make out to one of their shows!

Just back from JazzFest. Excellent performance--still ironing out a few kinks, but the overall quality was really impressive. They worked together really well and both seemed to be having a lot of fun, and the whole vibe was very loose. When the Levee Breaks was the highlight for me, and the Battle of Evermore was also terrific. Ditto Alison's Trampled Rose (I like her singing much better live than on the album, it just seemed to have more substance.) Mostly Plant and Zeppelin fans in the section where I was, but there were a healthy number of Krauss fans too. I heard many people after the show saying "that was amazing"--only real disappointment was that they only did one encore, which appeared to be because of time constraints--Sheryl Crow was up next.

Here's some pretty crummy pics (but at least they're mine! :) )

006-1.jpg

008-1.jpg

Just back from JazzFest. Excellent performance--still ironing out a few kinks, but the overall quality was really impressive. They worked together really well and both seemed to be having a lot of fun, and the whole vibe was very loose. When the Levee Breaks was the highlight for me, and the Battle of Evermore was also terrific. Ditto Alison's Trampled Rose (I like her singing much better live than on the album, it just seemed to have more substance.) Mostly Plant and Zeppelin fans in the section where I was, but there were a healthy number of Krauss fans too. I heard many people after the show saying "that was amazing"--only real disappointment was that they only did one encore, which appeared to be because of time constraints--Sheryl Crow was up next.

006-1.jpg

008-1.jpg

Nice one Aqua B)B)

006-1.jpg

008-1.jpg

Great Pics :D I couldn't make it had to work late :(

006-1.jpg

008-1.jpg

thanks for these great pics and your post. I just cannot wait until they do their NYC dates! yeah!!

006-1.jpg

008-1.jpg

They are verry good pictures keep and eye on the jazzfest website they will post some pictures of the show sooner or later and will add more over time.I did not get to go had to work kind of anyway was in Biloxi at the Crawfish Festival wanted to go but had to do a favor for a friend.

Thanks to an evening angel...I got tickets to the Nashville show and hope another angel will be going with me but I do plan on being there come rain, heat, snow, earthquake or high water LOL

I really looking forward to the show

and I'm loving all the reviews...I figured it would be a really good mix of people-- Branching from all the musical family trees LOL

It is funny that RP gives that tease of seeing you soon which he usually does in some form or fashion even if it takes a little while with the wandering all over the universe :D

Piper

It's an odd collaboration that, on the face of it, really shouldn't work.

Few would think of teaming Alison Krauss, an angelic, exacting singer and bluegrass-folk fiddler, with hard-rock pioneer and passionate yelper Robert Plant.

They have vastly different energies and attitudes, not to mention a 23-year age difference.

But producer T Bone Burnett has a peculiar genius: He sees, hears and conceives things that others could hardly imagine. He's out of the box. He's ahead of the curve. Heck, he's the creator of his own musical geometry.

Krauss and Plant? Perfect, in Burnett's hands -- and perfectly wonderful on Saturday during a 9 p.m. concert in Birmingham.

The two stars, just a few shows into their tour, played for two hours at the BJCC Arena. Burnett -- long, lanky and looking like a character from "Deadwood" in his black duster -- was part of their five-member band.

In case you hadn't heard, Burnett helmed a Krauss-Plant CD collaboration, "Raising Sand," that was one of the top sellers of 2007. It continues to stir up interest in 2008 and is the impetus for an international trek.

On disc and on stage, Krauss, 36 and Plant, 59, lent their talents to a wildly diverse selection of cover material, from a gypsy-tinged Tom Waits ballad ("Trampled Rose") to a bouncy Everly Brothers song ("Gone, Gone, Gone (Done Moved On)").

Much of "Raising Sand" has a low-key, hipster vibe -- all smoky voices and shimmying shoulders -- and Burnett reinvents each song with cool, clever arrangements or bold changes in instrumentation.

In general, the principals don't operate as traditional, melody-swapping partners; they alternate as the frontman or frontwoman.

At the BJCC, Krauss and Plant started their set with the opening track of the disc, "Rich Woman," and sent the audience home with its final song, "Your Long Journey." They played nearly everything else from "Raising Sand," as well, shuffling the order of 10 tunes and blending in signature songs from their separate careers.

Krauss provided a pitch-perfect rendition of "Down to the River to Pray," from the soundtrack of "O Brother, Where Art Thou?" This a cappella version, sweet and haunting, swelled to fill the arena with spiritual conviction.

Plant took the lead on radical reworkings of Led Zeppelin's "Black Dog" and "The Battle of Evermore," massaging a gentler, earthier tone into those formerly piercing, fast-moving hits. He also took "When the Levee Breaks" back to its soulful blues roots.

Some technical wizard must have worked a bit of magic at the arena, because the BJCC's sound was clear, clean and resonant -- exactly as a listener would wish it.

This made it possible to distinguish contributions made by the excellent musicians backing Plant and Krauss: guitarist and band leader Burnett, guitarist and pedal steel player Buddy Miller, bassist Dennis Crouch, drummer Jay Bellerose and multi-instrumentalist Stuart Duncan.

Posted by Mary Colurso -- Birmingham News April 27, 2008 5:00 AM

Next, 5.05.08 Birmingham, UK Birmingham NIA Academy

006-1.jpg

008-1.jpg

Fantastic job Aqua, can't wait to see them on the 8th!

Yo Yo Memphis

They are playing Nashville July 19 at the Sommet Center. I bought tickets online through Ticketmonster Thursday night. Check it out.

Archived