Pictures.

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/...arams=Itemnr=1

Report.

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/...NE04/304200003

Audio Tape:

Robert Plant and Alison Krauss

Louisville, KY - The Palace

April 19, 2008

Lineage: Belkin TuneTalk Stereo @ 44.1kHz > iPod nano > PC > Sonic Foundry (EQ) > FLAC (8)

Lineup:

Robert Plant - Vocals

Alison Krauss - Vocals and Fiddles

T-Bone Burnett - Guitars and Vocals

Stewart Duncan - Guitars and Mandolins

Buddy Miller - Guitars, Mandolins, Pedal Steel, Autoharp

Dennis Crouch - Bass, Banjo

Jay Bellerose - Drums and Percussion

Disc 1

1 - Rich Woman 5:30

2 - Leave My Woman Alone 5:02

3 - Black Dog 6:08

4 - Sister Rosetta Goes Before Us 4:01

5 - Through The Morning, Through The Night 4:07

6 - Fortune Teller 4:46

7 - Black Country Woman 5:12

8 - 29 Palms 6:01

9 - Waiting For A Long Time 3:25

10 - Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler 6:02

11 - Trampled Rose 6:21

12 - Green Pastures 3:39

13 - Down In The River To Pray 4:16

14 - Nothing 6:05

Disc 2

1 - Killing The Blues (4:31)

2 - When The Levee Breaks (6:04)

3 - The Battle of Evermore (6:21)

4 - Please Read The Letter (6:03)

5 - Gone Gone Gone (3:26)

6 - Crowd Noise (3:17)

7 - Stick With Me Baby (3:15)

8 - One Woman Man (3:05)

9 - Your Long Journey (2:40)

ROBERT PLANT & ALISON KRAUSS FEATURING T BONE BURNETT

Palace Theatre (Louisville, KY)

April 19, 2008

(NODEPRESSION.NET) -- As Jim Lauderdale is too prone to remark at various points during the annual Americana Music Association Honors & Awards, that's Americana.

It's a fair bet that large segments of the audience were really hoping this would be more like a Robert Plant MTV "Unplugged" session and were tempted to view Alison Krauss as a really expensive and high-profile backup singer. Which, of course, is not exactly -- not hardly; not at all -- what they got, for the real trick of the evening was so deeply remaking the Led Zeppelin covers as to almost hide them against the memory of their past, to make them part and parcel of the folk tradition. As they are, by now (and, anyway, that's where a good many of them were, um, acquired).

To read the rest of the review click here.

Pictures.

Report.

Audio Tape:

April 19, 2008

Lineage: Belkin TuneTalk Stereo @ 44.1kHz > iPod nano > PC > Sonic Foundry (EQ) > FLAC (8)

Lineup:

Robert Plant - Vocals

Disc 1

Disc 2

Just a guess, but Ill bet that Black Country Woman was the best of the night if Robert sang it? Ive heard their version of Black Dog-no thanks. Jimmy where are you?

Just got home from the second louisville show. all i can say is that it was AWSOME!!!! set list was same as first show, with one exception instead of playing 29 palms robert did a hell of a version of Hey Hey what Can i Do. jumping on the ticketmaster site for lexinton right now.

Opening Night // April 19th 2008

http://musicalbox.wordpress.com/2008/04/20...-alison-krauss/

Review by Walter Tunis

It seemed only fitting that Robert Plant and Alison Krauss would enter the stage for last night's inaugural performance of a three-month,cross-continental tour from different wings.

Krauss, in a pinkish floor-length dress, looked like she was dressed for a State dinner. Plant, in a baggy jacket, baggier shirt, blue vestand jeans was every inch the haggard hippie. Of course, looks didn't begin to reflect the disparate musical worlds the two hailed from. But aside from a few opening night sound glitches, Plant and Krauss found a lot of common musical ground within various chapters of folk, blues, country and, of course, early rock 'n' roll. A few of them, needless to say, Plant wrote himself.

Opening with Rich Woman, the leadoff track to the duo's recent multi-platinum Raising Sand album, the show's initial mood was hushed. For Plant fans more accustomed to his earthshaking recordings with LedZeppelin than this new country/folk conquest, such inwardness likely seemed frightening - maybe even disappointing. Instead of the devilish bravado of vintage Zeppelin, Plant muted his vocals to match the more delicate fiber of Krauss' singing. While the show didn't lean toward high harmony songs, there was a surprising level of stylistic sympatico - especially in the whispery Killing the Blues and the far more jagged reading of Townes Van Zandt's Nothin', where the mighty Plant roar came briefly back into view. But trying to pin a label on this kind of Americana music proved difficult.

With a T Bone Burnett-led band that sported such bluegrass and alt-country giants as Buddy Miller and Stuart Duncan, the performance used traditional music only as a blueprint. Instead, the band supplied space filled with crafty bits of guitar twang from Burnett, regal pedal steel colors by Miller and brittle banjo runs and darkly expressive fiddle lines by Duncan. Krauss regularly added to the racket with considerably more aggressive (and frequent) fiddle breaks than those that have marked her own Union Station concerts. As such, when Krauss was front and center on Sam Phillips' Sister Rosetta Goes Before Us, her crystalline voice was met by a rustic, slightly darkened musical backdrop that sounded less like her own bluegrass pedigree and more like Tom Waits in a Kurt Weill mood. Plant, to no one's surprise, dipped into the Zeppelin library (and briefly into his solo catalogue. for a revised 29 Palms).

In most cases, songs like Black Dog, Black Country Woman and When the Levee Breaks became slow, almost meditative exercises with occasional rockish outbursts. But there was one grand exception. For The Battle of Evermore, Plant already had a tune that required no alternations for its folky fit. Miller and Duncan supplied the stringed acoustics, Krauss handled harmonies the late Fairport Convention singer Sandy Denny provided the original 1971 version and Plant sang with the sort of confident mysticism that helped establish his stardom decades ago. In a performance so bent on avoiding obvious nostalgia, Evermore let the ghost of the mighty Zeppelin out of its cage to shake itself down for a few intoxicating moments.

Raising Sand's closing lullaby, Your Long Journey, aptly closed the show with Miller on autoharp. The Zeppelin overtones were gone, the electric twang had settled and the journey, with all its rich stringand percussive overtones, came to quiet, unassuming conclusion.

Robert Plant and Alison Krauss perform again tonight at the Louisville Palace. The 8 p.m. performance is sold out. Plant and Krauss will also perform at Rupp Arena on July 18.

Robert Plant / Alison Krauss

Palace Theatre - Louisville, KY April 19 2008

This review courtesy of Tim. D from FBO:

Robert Plant is alive and well, and what a show. This evening saw the triumphant return of a golden god, accompanied by the voice of an angel, who held her own even in the glare of one of rock's brightest stars.

First I want to talk about the opener. This young lady from Philly was introduced as "CBS recording artist Sharon Little." A few songs later you discover she was a waitress a few months ago... between songs she seems almost embarassed, but when the music starts, she gives a sultry-voiced, hip-grinding, basement juke-joint, down and dirty set that stunned the enthusiastic crowd and earned a hearty standing ovation at the end. This girl is the real deal, and if there's any justice in the world, she'll be huge. If I had to describe her, I'd say if Chris Robinson impregnated Gwen Stefani and she was raised by Alannah Miles, that would be pretty close. Her name is Sharon Little, her CD drops May 27, and you should all listen. Let's get behind this young lady and make sure we hear from her for a long, long time.

Sharon Little

April 18, 2008

Lineage: Belkin TuneTalk Stereo @ 44.1kHz > iPod nano > PC > SonicFoundry (EQ) > FLAC (8)

1 - Follow That Sound (4:08)

2 - Set You Free (3:59)

3 - Holdin' On (3:48)

4 - Ooh Wee (5:14)

5 - What Gets In The Way (3:37)

6 - Try (4:09)

http://www.myspace.com/sharonlittle

Robert Plant and Alison Krauss took the stage with a roar of approval from the crowd - Robert particularly drawing cheers but gracefully diverting attention to Alison and T-Bone Burnett. Robert enters wearing a grey-on-grey suit coat embroidered with flowers over a black/purple iridescent vest, white ruffled shirt and worn, faded jeans - he's playing every bit the old codger, moving slowly and shuffling hump-backed around the stage, eyeing Alison up and down as she faces away, then he looks away when she notices and grins. No funny business here - this is a professional relationship. Alison is gorgeous in a spaghetti-strap red-and-white checkered dress that strikes her just below the knee - a simple country-girl cotton dress that seems to suit Robert just fine. T-Bone is resplendent in a charcoal blazer over a bright blue Nehru-collared vest with about fifteen buttons and gray slacks cut like 1890s pants - what a star. The rest of the band is appropriately subdued and watching just like the rest of us as the magic unfolds.

The ensemble tears through a gorgeous rendition of "Rich Woman" and avery naughty-looking Alison singing straight through "Leave My Woman Alone" without ever changing a lyric - Robert notices and approves. Robert is still doing the stiff codger thing, snapping his fingers and looking very Tony Bennett. Off comes Robert's jacket at the end of the song, just as a very familiar tune comes from the banjo - the crowd erupts in recognition, and a very different Black Dog pleases the jam-packed and very fired-up Louisville crowd.

Alison treats us to a ghostly "Sister Rosetta Goes Before Us" with Robert singing backup, and Robert stays in backup mode for a simply crackling "Through The Morning, Through The Night," Alison at her best, the heartbreak dripping from her adorable twang and Robert soaking up her tears with a very good baritone. Robert steps out front for "Fortune Teller" and thrills us by just being Robert, telling us at the end that "Now I gets my fortune read for free."

What? Surely not! A Physical Graffiti appearance - Alison really into it as the crowd explodes at recognition of "Black Country Woman." It's everything you would think it is, Alison and Robert shouting soul at each other and the outstanding band bringing wonderful rhythms out of the percussion section.

Here's an oddity - a sudden, unexplained appearance of "Twentynine Palms" and the first time all night that Robert and Alison seem uncomfortable. I don't think Alison likes this one. Sung well, but a bit of a flat spot.

Here Robert introduces "the mastermind of this whole project," T-Bone Burnett, and he and Alison leave the stage while T-Bone and band blast through an expert set with a dirty, Keith Richards feel... "Waiting For A Long Time," and "Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler ("Let The Good Times Roll" in French)" - the music is good but the crowd is getting restless.

Alison returns for a simply spot-on perfect, soaring vocal on "Trampled Rose." Angelic under white light, this amazing voice just seems to pour from her whenever she opens her mouth, effortlessly. The band is ghostly behind her, the dark aura of the music returning and the audience silent, spellbound, erupting for a standing ovation after the song.

The crowd is silent again for a truly amazing Alison vocal (does she ever tire?) on the legendary Emmylou Harris' "Green Pastures." Robert on very close harmony backup, with just bassist Dennis Crouch and guitarist Stewart Duncan accompanying them, and again a very appreciative crowd erupting at the end - Alison interrupts the crowd by starting the spiritual "Down In The River To Pray," acapella, as Robert gathers guitarists Stewart Duncan and Buddy Miller to hum tenor background, then full background, the singers sounding like an old-timechurch choir and the audience not sure how to act, wanting to cheer but right now they're in church and they know they better not act up.

Robert leads us through Townes Van Zandt's "Nothing." Introduces the band.

Alison joins up for what's become a parade of very pretty songs - who'd have thought? "Killing The Blues" is an interesting twist for a lady you almost didn't believe a few songs ago when she told you she wasn't capable of killing a man. Robert's mostly in backup mode again, and deflecting attention to Alison, who's polite to him and not quite sure what to make of this superstar attention and rock-and-roll crowd.

The crowd knows what to do though, and cheers them on. Robert and the band start playing and singing about old Rosie... my girl... the mournful fiddles foreshadowing what's next... can it be? If it keeps on raining, the levee's gonna break...only this is a funeral dirge, slow and nasty with Alison's wail over Robert's apparition and the thunderous drums of Jay Bellerose.

More? Stewart Duncan strolls around behind Robert and Alison and, ou tof nowhere, those ethereal first chords of "The Battle Of Evermore" and those who ever suggested they do this one are proven right in an instant, as the spare arrangement and Alison Krauss turn this into a treat not heard since Sandy Denny herself - listen to this, Najma!

Here comes "Please Read The Letter." I'm so wrung out after this night that I just can't write anymore. "Gone Gone Gone." Lots of crowd noise calling for encores. Encores. Good God go see this show. Beg, borrow, steal.

They delivered a whopping 22 songs on Opening Night! It will be interesting to see how many are delivered tomorrow night (which was originally slated to be Opening Night).

I just put this on my WinAmp library and while they've played 22 songs, you gotta remember there aren't any D&Cs or No Quarters. The whole TimD source gets to around 110mins. Anyways, I'm not complaining. Can't wait to hear the whole show, particularly Black Dog. :huh:

Pictures.

Report.

Audio Tape:

April 19, 2008

Lineup:

Robert Plant - Vocals

Disc 1

Disc 2

I went to the 2nd night. IT WAS AMAZING!!! I've gone to a lot of concerts and can safely say, seeing Robert was one of the greatest moments ever. As soon as he started in on Black Dog I thought I was going to lose it. I couldn't stop laughing, or should I say giggling like a little girl, during the show. John Mellencamp was in attendance with his family. I saw him rocking out while standing for one of the many standing ovations.

Here is my question, is there somewhere online that these live recordings are posted? I'd love to hear the first night and hopefully a recording from 4/20 shows up.

Anyway, this is my first post on the forum. Hello all and if you don't have tickets to see Robert and Allison, do what you have to, you will NOT be disappointed.

Here is my question, is there somewhere online that these live recordings are posted?

I understand it's up on Dime-A-Dozen.

I'd love to hear the first night and hopefully a boot from 4/20 shows up.

Not to be picky but you might want to be careful of the use of the word "boot". While some fans here seem to have no problem putting money into the pockets of bootleggers (those that sell shows), "boot" is a reference to shows that are sold, rather than traded for free. Those folks out there that are kind enough to tape shows and upload them to sites like dime-a-dozen do so for free. "Boot" is a negative reference to those that sell concerts, a term tapers don't want associated with the shows they tape and share for free. Just sayin'...

I understand it's up on Dime-A-Dozen.

Not to be picky but you might want to be careful of the use of the word "boot". While some fans here seem to have no problem putting money into the pockets of bootleggers (those that sell shows), "boot" is a reference to shows that are sold, rather than traded for free. Those folks out there that are kind enough to tape shows and upload them to sites like dime-a-dozen do so for free. "Boot" is a negative reference to those that sell concerts, a term tapers don't want associated with the shows they tape and share for free. Just sayin'...

Sorry, didn't realize there was a negative connotation to the word, I changed it.

Here's another review, a very glowing one. As an aside, and I don't mean this in a bitchy way, I love the rich irony of a notorious ladies man like Robert singing "One Woman Man" :)

From The Tennessean

REVIEW: Krauss, Plant show is pure genius

By PETER COOPER

Staff Writer

LOUISVILLE, Ky. — The between-song shouts of adoration, glee and inebriation halted for a moment as Robert Plant spoke Sunday night.

“This is the second night of a new career,” he said, with a grin that may have left a few in the Palace Theatre audience of 2,700 wondering if he was serious.There he stood, onstage at one of America’s loveliest halls. He once fronted Led Zeppelin, the loudest and wildest band in the world, yet Sunday he performed with duet partner Alison Krauss and a group of music-makers that included producer and roots music visionary T-Bone Burnett and Nashville-based master players Buddy Miller, Dennis Crouch and Stuart Duncan.

The Plant/Krauss tour, which kicked off Saturday night and which is slated to end at the Sommet Center on July 19, is an unlikely and in fact unprecedented melding of musicians, sounds and styles. No act has ever had the commercial heft, musical depth and expansive vision that would enable a tour through major venues that includes authentic and powerful versions of songs from Zeppelin’s “Black Dog” to Doc Watson’s plaintive “Your Long Journey.” Several years ago, Burnett was musical director for the Down From The Mountain tour that featured Krauss, Emmylou Harris, Ralph Stanley, blues man Chris Thomas King and many more. That was variety. This is… insane. Or it was, until the just-passed weekend. At this point, it seems closer to genius. Through these hands, minds and voices, rock, bluegrass, blues, country and soul (really, all of it is soul music) are all of a piece. It sounds ancient, and it’s something new under the sun.

“Who knows about the ‘Singing Fisherman?’ Plant asked, introducing an encore version of “One Woman Man,” a song first popularized by the singing fisherman in question, the late, great country star Johnny Horton. It has come to this: Robert Plant heads to the American South and spreads the word about Johnny Horton. Strange world, this one.

Even apart from the people on stage, Horton is far from the only Nashville connection in this show.

The tour is in support of Raising Sand, the album Plant and Krauss made in Nashville, with Burnette producing. Sunday night’s songs included: A ferocious and harrowing version of Nashvillian Townes Van Zandt’s “Nothin’,” with instrumental sections that sounded close enough to Zeppelin to make Jimmy Page nervous, wherever he was; some Everly Brothers excursions, including the Grammy-winning collaboration “Gone Gone Gone (Done Moved On)” and the Mel Tillis-penned “Stick With Me Baby”; a heart-stopping take on Rowland Salley’s “Killing The Blues,” a song first popularized by Nashville’s John Prine; Krauss and Stuart Duncan performing “Green Pastures,” a song Emmylou Harris featured on her groundbreaking Roses in the Snow album.

The Louisville crowd was full of dignitaries (David Fricke from Rolling Stone among them) and full of Zeppelin fans. One ticket-holder said he had ticket stubs to prove he’d been to four Zeppelin shows, though he could only remember three of them. It’s hard for a 21-time Grammy winner to sneak up on anyone, but Krauss’ pitch-perfect singing induced some audible gasps.

In fact, Krauss has never sung like this before. It takes a particular sort of bravery to do what she’s doing here: Having reached great heights by developing a distinctive and much-loved way of singing, she has found a new way to sing. On the Zeppelin standard “Black Country Woman,” her full-throated, bluesy harmonies were something entirely new. And the romp through “One Woman Man” was something the meticulous Krauss has never approached before onstage: Good, sloppy fun.

Bass man Crouch, a member of the every-Monday Station Inn band The Time Jumpers, found a way to make the upright bass sound like a heavy rock instrument on some songs, while playing rhythmic, “slap bass” on up-tempo numbers and providing lovely, melodic note choices on ballads.

Miller played guitar and pedal steel, and there were several points in the show when Plant just stood and stared at what Miller was doing during solos.

Duncan, whose studio work includes some of the sweetest bluegrass fiddling to be heard, often took the Jimmy Page part in the rock songs, playing high, loud and sometimes distorted. Then he played ghostly banjo on “Black Dog,” mandolin on others, and guitar on still others.

Great instrumentalists are by nature adaptable, but lead singers are often less so. As it turns out, Robert Plant is a harmony singer of significant range and nuance. He did the high, not-long-for-lonesome Zeppelin stuff on occasion, but his note choices on duets with Krauss were the kinds of things that cannot be sung without considerable study and a willingness to subvert ego and star-turns in service of the greater good. It seems that under Burnett’s stewardship, Krauss has learned to howl and Plant has taken the less-is-more thing to heart. The rock legend seemed equally at home taking the strutting lead on “Black Country Woman” and working as part of a gospel quartet on “Down To The River To Pray.”

At night’s end, after the sad and pure ballad “Your Long Journey,” Plant seemed to feel that his business was unfinished.

“Come along for Lexington,” he said, referring to the other Kentucky show on this tour. “I’ll tell you more about the ‘Singing Fisherman.’”

Set list for the Sunday-night show in Louisville, Ky.:

“Rich Woman”

“Leave My Woman Alone”

“Black Dog”

“Sister Rosetta Goes Before Us”

"Through the Morning, Through the Night”

"Fortune Teller”

"Black Country Woman”

"Hey Hey What Can I Do”

" T Bone Burnett sings – “The Rat Age”

"T Bone Burnett sings “Bon Temps Rouler”

“Trampled Rose”

“Green Pastures”

“Down To The River To Pray”

“Nothin’”

“Killing the Blues”

“Let Your Loss Be Your Lesson”

“When the Levee Breaks”

“The Battle of Evermore”

“Please Read The Letter”

“Gone Gone Gone (Done Moved On)”

ENCORE

Instrumental, featuring Krauss and Stuart Duncan

“Stick With Me Baby”

“One Woman Man”

“Your Long Journey”

Here's another review, a very glowing one. As an aside, and I don't mean this in a bitchy way, I love the rich irony of a notorious ladies man like Robert singing "One Woman Man" :)

Another guy who listens to

this is one of my favorite songs to listen to when I'm stuck in traffic on the freeway or shopping for groceries; yee haw. I wonder when Robert Plant's version will show up on youtube.

If you told me that you love me

I would feel so proud

If you'd let me hold you honey

I'd holler out loud

I'll never love another

Even if I can

Come to me baby I'm a one woman man.

Chorus:

Won't you let me baby just a kind of hang around

I'll always love you honey and I'll never let you down

I'll never love another even if I can

Well come to me baby I'm a one woman man.

I'd climb the highest mountain

If it reached a bigger sky

To prove that I love you

I'd jump off and fly

I'd even swim the ocean

From shore to shore

To prove that I love you

Just a little bit more.

Chorus:

I'll always love you honey and I'll never let you down

Well come to me baby I'm a one woman man.

--- Instrumental ---

If you told me that you love me

I would feel so proud

If you'd let me hold you honey

I'd holler out loud

I'll never love another

Even if I can

Come to me baby I'm a one woman man.

Chorus:

I'll always love honey and I'll never let you down

Well come to me baby I'm a one woman man

Come to me baby I'm a one woman man...

-George Jones

Ha! I love George's rendition of that tune, but again he's such an unlikely candidate to proclaim the joys of fidelity, you almost felt like Tammy Wynette should have come out with an "answer record" like they do in R&B.

Ha! I love George's rendition of that tune, but again he's such an unlikely candidate to proclaim the joys of fidelity, you almost felt like Tammy Wynette should have come out with an "answer record" like they do in R&B.

Yes; if you see an insane woman laughing herself silly all the way down the freeway listening to a country song, you'll know why. It's a cute song, though; George Jones recorded it in the late 80s as I recall. I think I might still have that tape in my car.

Archived