The Ten Most Annoying Singers

Jahfin

Your thoughts on Loretta Lynn? She's country.

Loretta Lynn is cool. I admit, most of the country artists I like are of the more recent/crossover variety. But I do appreciate Loretta, Johnny Cash, Hank Sr.; just not crazy about Reba (or Wynonna).

Annoying? definitely the singer from Journey and Paul Rodgers, their voices are so irritatingly clean, and their some of the cheesiest singers ever.

There ain't nothing clean or cheesey about this: :)

You're referring to what is known as melissma. Melisma is the singing of a single syllable of text while moving between several notes in succession. It's what I call the Mariah Carey school of singing. She started that style when no one else was really doing it, Whitney Houston to a lesser extent but Mariah Carey really popularized that style. She actually does have a good voice, I can't take that away from her, but I can't listen to her & I especially can't listen to the whole crop of singers that came after her who are just a watered down versions of her. Christina Aguilera, Pink, Shakira, various namelss one named R&B singers, American Idol contestants ... the only one I can listen to is Beyonce but even she starts to grate after a while.

I get a kick out of the style of their names....Beyonce, Shakira, etc....are they their real names or are they made up to fit in that style. Is there one called Fuchsia yet?

Loretta Lynn is cool. I admit, most of the country artists I like are of the more recent/crossover variety. But I do appreciate Loretta, Johnny Cash, Hank Sr.; just not crazy about Reba (or Wynonna).

I just never understood the "too country" tag as it doesn't make any sense to me. I've never heard anyone say "that's too rock n' roll", or "that's too jazzy", etc. While I believe some Reba's early stuff is pretty rootsy she has also had her fair share of crossover stuff. Personally, if I'm going to listen to country music I prefer to listen to the real deal, i.e. Cash, Lynn, George Jones, Tom T. Hall, Bob Wills, Ernest Tubb, etc.

I just never understood the "too country" tag as it doesn't make any sense to me. I've never heard anyone say "that's too rock n' roll", or "that's too jazzy", etc. While I believe some Reba's early stuff is pretty rootsy she has also had her fair share of crossover stuff. Personally, if I'm going to listen to country music I prefer to listen to the real deal, i.e. Cash, Lynn, George Jones, Tom T. Hall, Bob Wills, Ernest Tubb, etc.

To be 100% honest with you; her "S"'s are all "Sh"'s and for some reason that just bugs the ever living hell out of me. Sorry! I know it's ridiculous and petty, but I can't help it. :(

To be 100% honest with you; her "S"'s are all "Sh"'s and for some reason that just bugs the ever living hell out of me. Sorry! I know it's ridiculous and petty, but I can't help it. :(

That reminds me of "Can't You See" by The Marshall Tucker Band. It's a great song but it bugs the hell out of me when they use the word she were it goes "what that woman she been doin' to me"

My list:

Franky Valli

Rod Stewart

Ian Anderson

Michael Bolton

Celine Dion

Mariah Carey

Geddy Lee and Dennis DeYoung are in that special category, "How fast can I get to the radio to shut this off?"

Robert Plant is only annoying in that last part of "The Song Remains The Same" where he wails as if he were imitating some Indian singer

Well, I just got to witness one of them in person, Yoko Ono! Wow her random shrieking is really annoying, especially when she was doing it over Eric's guitar lol. Also, Joanna Newsom's voice is REALLY annoying, have a listen:

Well, I just got to witness one of them in person, Yoko Ono! Wow her random shrieking is really annoying, especially when she was doing it over Eric's guitar lol. Also, Joanna Newsom's voice is REALLY annoying, have a listen:

I think my ears are bleeding ... and I only made it about 30 seconds in. :thumbdown:

I'll no doubt be banned forever for saying this, but Robert Plant ruined more than a few magical Zeppelin moments for me with his incessant banshee wailing. I've always enjoyed his solo career vocal style a LOT more than I ever did when he fronted Zeppelin.

Plant doesn't belong anywhere near this list though, I wasn't suggesting he should be either. Percy is one hell of a great singer.............now.

Archived