So is 1968 or 1969 the first year of Led Zeppelin?

AlexKx

1. 1900.07.02 (my birthday)- In the sky over Germany's Lake Constance, Count Ferdinand Graf von Zeppelin, a retired Prussian army officer, successfully demonstrates the world's first rigid airship. The 420-foot, cigar-shaped craft was lifted by hydrogen gas and powered by a 16-horsepower engine.

2. 1937.05.06 LZ 129 Hindenburg went up in flames and was destroyed while landing at Lakehurst Naval Air Station in Manchester Township, New Jersey. Thirty-six people died in the accident.

3. 1968.09.20-1968.10.10- Olympic studios - London, England, Led Zeppelin I is recorded.

4. 1968.10.25 - Surrey University, Surrey, U.K. - Debut as "Led Zeppelin" (as Humbucker stated). The group would go on to perform 15 shows, including this one, under the name Led Zeppelin in 1968.

Nick, LZ performed 14 shows from 1980.06.17 to 1980.07.07.

So the whole debate comes down to the ambiguity of the question. In which year was Zeppelin conceived, or which was the first full year they spent together as a band? I go with the birthdate.

This is silly, really. They formed in 1968. IMO that makes this their 40th anniversary. And the month would be August, when Bonzo came into the fold and the band was complete. The band was established the day they first jammed. In August 1968, when Jimmy and Peter Grant said "This is the guy" and Bonzo agreed to leave Tim Rose and said "Yes". That's the day Led Zeppelin was born, regarless of whether they worked as the New Yardbirds. It was Zeppelin under another name perhaps, but it was Led Zeppelin.

I was born on August 19th 1970. so on January 1st I am a year old? :o

Yes, if you're a race horse.

So the whole debate comes down to the ambiguity of the question. In which year was Zeppelin conceived, or which was the first full year they spent together as a band? I go with the birthdate.

This is silly, really. They formed in 1968. IMO that makes this their 40th anniversary. And the month would be August, when Bonzo came into the fold and the band was complete. The band was established the day they first jammed. In August 1968, when Jimmy and Peter Grant said "This is the guy" and Bonzo agreed to leave Tim Rose and said "Yes". That's the day Led Zeppelin was born, regarless of whether they worked as the New Yardbirds. It was Zeppelin under another name perhaps, but it was Led Zeppelin.

Come August, it'll be time to party like it's 1968! Whoo hoo!! :D

Led Zeppelin played as Led Zeppelin for about 17 shows in 1980? Someone can get me the right number on that. That's just off the top of my head.

They probably played from August or September depending on when rehearsals began till December of 1968 playing about 25-30 shows. Also the initial meetings of Page and Plant can probably be traced back to the summer of 1968 which was where the band really began.

If you count 1980 then you count 1968 also. And if you just count album release years then Led Zeppelin didn't exist in 1972, 1974, 1977, or 1978 and 1980, despite touring and/or recording almost all of those years. btw they also recording their first album in 1968.

The band was active from 1968-1980.

There's no question about it. The only real break the band took was in early 1974 and 1975(after finishing up in the studio Munich), 1976 when Plant couldn't walk and in 1978-1979 when they weren't recording an album. Really they were working on the band one way or another most of the dozen years.

Nick (for the record) I am not calling you out here :D ....ok

how many shows Zeppelin played in 80 was not my point. it was the time frame. July is the 7th month of the year. the band was already a unit for 11+ years at the time. Bonzo died at the end of September (the 25th) and on December 4th Zeppelin announced that they would not be going any further.. why would I not consider 1980 a full year?....

some people are reaching way to far! it's all simple math. the same type of math that is used in all walks of life. this is how things work...

he are a few example's.

guy A has 15 cents in his pocket. and guy B has 85 cents in his pocket. guy C walks up to them both and ask guy A "how much money do you have?" he say's Jack Shit . he ask guy B "how much money do you have?" and he say's about a dollar :D ...

the same system is used in most professional sports. did you ever notice a baseball player come to a team as a rookie in August and finish the rest of the season, and then be considered a rookie the next year? and then he wins rookie of the year?

the reason is, a player must have atleast 130 at bats or be on a rooster for atleast 35 games before the August 31 dead-line ...Scott Rolen is a perfect example. and so is Led-Zeppelin. this is my point. that's all.

that's all I was going by. I have not disagreed with anyone's opinions. if some hear do not agree with mine. then fine!....it's used every day by all sorts.

edited to say: also, I do not consider shows performed by the New Yardbirds to be of that. they were Led-zeppelin! the last Yardbirds show was July 7, 1968. the same date as the last Led-Zeppelin show 12 years later. :o

how many shows Zeppelin played in 80 was not my point. it was the time frame. July is the 7th month of the year. the band was already a unit for 11+ years at the time. Bonzo died at the end of September (the 25th) and on December 4th Zeppelin announced that they would not be going any further.. why would I not consider 1980 a full year?...

I didn't say it shouldn't be. I said 1968-1980 should all count.

In fact it was almost 12 years to the day they formed when Bonzo died. Well to the month almost anyway. Either way it's 12 full years. The band toured from September till December of 1968. And in actuality they pretty much toured from 1968-1971 almost non stop.

the last Yardbirds show was July 7, 1968. the same date as the last Led-Zeppelin show 12 years later. :o

Actually, I have always doubted the 7/7/68 gig in Luton ever took place. The band knew when they got on the plane for the America it was to be their final tour. Also, Jimmy had flown to New York after the last date of that tour and was already referring to the band breakup in his interviews before he returned to England in June '68. I'm hoping to have

this resolved once and for all in the upcoming fourth edition of Greg Russo's 'Yardbirds -

The Ultimate Rave Up!'.

July 7 1980 stands as the final Led Zeppelin performance (1968-1980) although there

was originally a second show to be held in Berlin on July 8, 1980.

So is there anything going on to celebrate or acknowledge this year 2008 as the fortieth anniversary of Led Zeppelin?

Dave Lewis of Tight But Loose is tentatively planning to hold another Led Zeppelin fan gathering in the Autumn. These events have proven to be very enjoyable in the past.

I know Page was in NY with Grant to see Jeff Beck play in mid June . and Page did hang around in NY for a few more daysafter for interviews and to see friends. then Page flew back to London and he and Dreja started looking for new members....I am sure you already know this.

if the Birds were under contract. (like it's said they were) I almost can gaurentee they played. Peter Grant wouldn't allow them not to. if they didn't I am sure we would have heard about it. :D

how many shows Zeppelin played in 80 was not my point. it was the time frame. July is the 7th month of the year. the band was already a unit for 11+ years at the time. Bonzo died at the end of September (the 25th) and on December 4th Zeppelin announced that they would not be going any further.. why would I not consider 1980 a full year?....

some people are reaching way to far! it's all simple math. the same type of math that is used in all walks of life. this is how things work...

he are a few example's.

guy A has 15 cents in his pocket. and guy B has 85 cents in his pocket. guy C walks up to them both and ask guy A "how much money do you have?" he say's Jack Shit . he ask guy B "how much money do you have?" and he say's about a dollar :D ...

the same system is used in most professional sports. did you ever notice a baseball player come to a team as a rookie in August and finish the rest of the season, and then be considered a rookie the next year? and then he wins rookie of the year?

the reason is, a player must have atleast 130 at bats or be on a rooster for atleast 35 games before the August 31 dead-line ...Scott Rolen is a perfect example. and so is Led-Zeppelin. this is my point. that's all.

that's all I was going by. I have not disagreed with anyone's opinions. if some hear do not agree with mine. then fine!....it's used every day by all sorts.

edited to say: also, I do not consider shows performed by the New Yardbirds to be of that. they were Led-zeppelin! the last Yardbirds show was July 7, 1968. the same date as the last Led-Zeppelin show 12 years later. :o

Again, it goes to whether we're referring to the band's conception vs their first full year together. To which was the original poster's question referring?

a player must have atleast 130 at bats or be on a rooster for atleast 35 games

Sorry, but I have to make a "cock rock" joke here! :hysterical:

I know it was just a typo, or a misplelling of "roster", but you have to admit it's funny! :beer:

I can just picture Roberto Clemente riding a rooster around the bases! :lol:

Again, it goes to whether we're referring to the band's conception vs their first full year together. To which was the original poster's question referring?

Sorry, but I have to make a "cock rock" joke here! :hysterical:

I know it was just a typo, or a misplelling of "roster", but you have to admit it's funny! :beer:

I can just picture Roberto Clemente riding a rooster around the bases! :lol:

I don't see the funny part. Clemente is dead. Not funny. Now your hat... :hysterical:

I don't see the funny part. Clemente is dead. Not funny. Now your hat... :hysterical:

I doubt he was insulting Clemente :D ...the greatest!

when I was a child in the 70's, and the Cubs would have a rain delay. they would always show old World series clips and such. and man, when I first saw Clemente he became my biggest intrest.....R.I.P

Hell no, I wasn't insulting Clemente! I have nothing but admiration for the man! Cheers! :beer:

And as for the fellow who mocked my hat: the hat comes off pal, your head is permanent. Clearly your sense of humor is impaired.

George Carlin in his most famous routine, Seven Words You Can't Say On Television:

But, there are some two-way words. There are double-meaning words. Remember the ones your giggled at in sixth grade? 'And the cock crowed three times.''Hey, the cock the cock crowed three times. It's in the bible.' There are some Two-way words, like it's okay for Curt Gowdy to say 'Roberto Clemente has two balls on him.' But he can't say, 'I think he hurt his balls on that play Tony, don't you? He's holding them. He must have hurt them by God.' And the other two-way word that goes with that one is prick. It's okay if it happens to your finger. Yes, you can prick your finger, but don't finger your prick. No, no."

I suppose he was slamming Clemente too. Yawn. :rolleyes:

Hell no, I wasn't insulting Clemente! I have nothing but admiration for the man! Cheers! :beer:

And as for the fellow who mocked my hat: the hat comes off pal, your head is permanent. Clearly your sense of humor is impaired.

The fellow?... Who said you were insulting him?

I am sure you will catch me using your instead of you're at some point so your hat can have a false sense of being bigger. :blink:

And as for the ass-hat who is questioning my sense of humor...Dude I was not mocking your hat, I just find it funny. Not necessarily a bad thing is it?

Anger management. :D

The fellow?... Who said you were insulting him?

I am sure you will catch me using your instead of you're at some point so your hat can have a false sense of being bigger. :blink:

And as for the ass-hat who is questioning my sense of humor...Dude I was not mocking your hat, I just find it funny. Not necessarily a bad thing is it?

Anger management. :D

I'm not angry at all. It's 90 degrees and the pool's open in sunny SoCal. I have nothing to be angry about. :D

And no, I won't be wearing the hat! :hysterical:

I have other hats by the way.

For your enjoyment, cause I like to be silly! :P

Mad Hatter:

GoinDownTheRabbitHole.gif

Laurel and Hardy:

ImSorryOllie.gif

Mafioso:

WantHimDead.gif

Gotta have humor, right? Positively GOTTA! :D

I know Page was in NY with Grant to see Jeff Beck play in mid June . and Page did hang around in NY for a few more daysafter for interviews and to see friends. then Page flew back to London and he and Dreja started looking for new members....I am sure you already know this.

if the Birds were under contract. (like it's said they were) I almost can guarentee they played. Peter Grant wouldn't allow them not to. if they didn't I am sure we would have heard about it. :D

You've made some good points here. I don't specifically recall hearing Jimmy and Peter went to see Jeff perform. I'll get to work on confirming the date, venue and location, as it will help to substantiate how long Jimmy remained in NYC (not that anyone cares?!).

I just don't think there has been any firm confirmation of Luton ever having been played (a press review, ticket stub, band recollection). Chris Dreja said they all knew it was

the last tour when they got on the plane for America. I guess he does not specifically

recall if they played Luton. I have a similar "problem" concerning JPJ's 1967 European tour with Herman's Hermits -- the only place John recalls playing is Hamburg.

I don't specifically recall hearing Jimmy and Peter went to see Jeff perform. I'll get to work on confirming the date, venue and location, as it will help to substantiate how long Jimmy remained in NYC (not that anyone cares?!).

Apparently, Christopher Hjort and Doug Hinman's 'Jeff's Book' claims Beck supposedly met Page and Grant (Jeff's manager) the night before the first Fillmore show and "rumors have it" Page was backstage for that first night's show. However, Hinman had allegedly told others prior to the publication of 'Jeff's Book' that Jimmy left for England on the 13th. I'm going to consider Jimmy having been there as unconfirmed for the time being.

Interesting thought that Plant sang "7 and 7 Is" and that Led Zeppelin's last gig was 7/7/80 (and as mentioned above 7/7/68 being their first gig (not sure about that, though)).

R B)

Interesting thought that Plant sang "7 and 7 Is" and that Led Zeppelin's last gig was 7/7/80 (and as mentioned above 7/7/68 being their first gig (not sure about that, though)).

R B)

7/7/68 was NOT a Led Zeppelin performance. If it was performed, it was The Yardbirds.

You have to remember Jimmy Page (along with Peter Grant and Chris Dreja) met Robert Plant for the first time at West Midlands College of Higher Education on Gorway Road in Bromsgrove, Worcestershire, England on July 20 1968.

Robert performed 7 and 7 is because it's from Love's 'Forever Changes' album, one of his all-time favorites. There is simply no connection to Led Zeppelin intended.

7/7/68 was NOT a Led Zeppelin performance. If it was performed, it was The Yardbirds.

You have to remember Jimmy Page (along with Peter Grant and Chris Dreja) met Robert Plant for the first time at West Midlands College of Higher Education on Gorway Road in Bromsgrove, Worcestershire, England on July 20 1968.

And it was August when Plant took Grant and Page to see Bonham, according to Mick's book. :beer:

Archived