Zurich 1980 Video

snapper

Very cool! I assume it's silent footage that's been synced with the soundboard recording?

well edited. nice colours considering the technology of the day! the interesting thing about listening to the zurich soundboard - it always felt like a daytime show...

• 3 weeks later...

It is nice footage....it's too bad page is so out of it on this tour as the song line up is nice. Ya have to think that jones and plant must have been rolling their eyes at times listening to page struggle to play even the most basic thing....sad really and such a waste. I have all the 1980 shows on bootleg...some soundboard and some audience.....and its hard to find a decent one that i would listen to more then twice.....seems page got worse and worse after 1973....too much excess i suppose.

cheers

I generally agree with you ^. It hurts me to say, but Page was using so much distortion to cover up his lack of playing. However, I also must say that Robert's voice was pretty much shot during that tour. No range and not very clear. Bonham and Jones were, as always, the rock behind the music. What do you think the best overall show was? I listen to Brussels every now and then - out of the shows I have it is my fav. from that tour.

The only truly amazing and historic performance that I heard on the 1980 tour is the final song they played live with Bonham, the 17 minute Whole Lotta Love in Berlin which has no medly but rather an extended psych-out jam. JPJ and Bonham especially go to town on that one. I'd almost call it a bass solo, the degree to which JPJ is up front, but Jimmy does some very cool theremin echoplex type stuff and Robert wails like he thinks he's doing Dazed in Confused.

The only truly amazing and historic performance that I heard on the 1980 tour is the final song they played live with Bonham, the 17 minute Whole Lotta Love in Berlin which has no medly but rather an extended psych-out jam. JPJ and Bonham especially go to town on that one. I'd almost call it a bass solo, the degree to which JPJ is up front, but Jimmy does some very cool theremin echoplex type stuff and Robert wails like he thinks he's doing Dazed in Confused.

Frankfort was by far the best of 1980. A few of the early shows were good too. The 26th was awesome after Page got hit by a fire cracker. I guess someone really lit a fire under him because he was excellent. They played maybe the best version of Kashmir ever. 80 was overall consistently better than 77. But it was bad compared to earlier Zep. Still better than 90% of the bands out there though.

Nick, I usually agree with your takes but I don't see how '80 could overall be more consistent than '77. I agree '77 had its ups and downs but they played better on that tour collectively. Maybe the problem with me is that all of the '80 shows I have heard are soundboards and there is no hiding mistakes in that form of recording. Just my opinion Nick, still enjoy your takes.

Peace.

It is nice footage....it's too bad page is so out of it on this tour as the song line up is nice. Ya have to think that jones and plant must have been rolling their eyes at times listening to page struggle to play even the most basic thing....sad really and such a waste. I have all the 1980 shows on bootleg...some soundboard and some audience.....and its hard to find a decent one that i would listen to more then twice.....seems page got worse and worse after 1973....too much excess i suppose.

cheers

I think you have one problem...you have seen Led Zeppelin not in 1980!

The LZ Concert in Munich (July 5th 1980) was truly awesome!

2 1/2 hour of power and glory.

It was a outstanding perform from LZ. The Live-Sound is "brute". Jimmy's guitar sound blow you away! He plays very well, perfectly, fast and furios. He was the star of the evening. He pulled all attention on himself. Yes, this concert was perfect and I will never forget it!

I love the 80er Tour. I have all Bootleg from the whole Tour and

they are great (in Zürich he had play one of his best Heartbreaker-solo and one of his finest Stairway-solo)! But one thing: No Bootleg can catch this incredible sound of Led Zeppelin!!

Nick, I usually agree with your takes but I don't see how '80 could overall be more consistent than '77. I agree '77 had its ups and downs but they played better on that tour collectively. Maybe the problem with me is that all of the '80 shows I have heard are soundboards and there is no hiding mistakes in that form of recording. Just my opinion Nick, still enjoy your takes.

Peace.

It's more to do with not liking 77 than anything.

I think you have one problem...you have seen Led Zeppelin not in 1980!

The LZ Concert in Munich (July 5th 1980) was truly awesome!

2 1/2 hour of power and glory.

It was a outstanding perform from LZ. The Live-Sound is "brute". Jimmy's guitar sound blow you away! He plays very well, perfectly, fast and furios. He was the star of the evening. He pulled all attention on himself. Yes, this concert was perfect and I will never forget it!

I love the 80er Tour. I have all Bootleg from the whole Tour and

they are great (in Zürich he had play one of his best Heartbreaker-solo and one of his finest Stairway-solo)! But one thing: No Bootleg can catch this incredible sound of Led Zeppelin!!

Thank you. People seem to forget that there is a big difference between a bootleg (whether good or bad) and actually hearing Led Zeppelin live. All of those soundboard bootlegs from 1980 are thin and tinny as hell. Zeppelin played through a massive P.A. specifically designed for them by Showco, the premiere sound reinforcement company of the times, aint no way a soundboard is going to be able to capture that kind of power or ambience.

I've quoted this before, but it is relevant to this thread. From the laser operator who worked with Zeppelin from 1977 through 1980 commenting on the difference between hearing Zeppelin live and listening to TSRTS live album:

"Soundwise, there was no comparison. Live - they were awesome and so loud it was frightening. I can understand why Grant didn't want any live bootleg recordings in circulation. There is an energy in a live Led Zeppelin concert that doesn't come across in any recordings and more than makes up for any performance imperfections. The Showco sound system (the best available at the time) contributed to their success as a live act IMO."

I've always found that when listening LZ bootlegs its best to use your imagination, rather than taking it at face value, because bootlegs never tell the whole story.

I listen to the shows from 80 when I'm alone :( and if someone walks into the room I turn it off! I never bring 80 shows with me to the car either.

77 shows I will play loud and proud :D

I agree with everything snapper said.(you were on the old board right?) listening to SB's can be misleading. it just goes to show how awsome Zeppelin were in their heyday. no stinking SB could make them sound bad, because there were no mistakes being made.

all of my love, hotdog, in the evening, i'm sure of off the top of my head.

They played Hot Dog and In the Evening in 1979 though. All My Loving is the only song they introduced.

They played Hot Dog and In the Evening in 1979 though. All My Loving is the only song they introduced.

good catch nick.. although "all my loving" is the beatles....ain't it? ;-)

Archived