The Official Yardbirds Thread

I was surprised by his definition of a garage band. Very cool choices but I have always thought of a garage band as one that has very inexperienced musicians, humble beginnings and rough around the edges. i would never classify the Yardbirds as such.

Listen to the Stones first few albums. They can't play Chuck Berry "correctly" as they're just going by feel which created something unto itself & 10+ years later the punks would do the same. And outside of the Yardbirds guitar players that band were hardly virtuoso's.

Remembering The Late Keith Relf, Singer Of The Yardbirds

stoogeypedia.jpg Posted by Stoogeypedia | March 22nd, 2012 at 6:52 pm

2012-03-22-yardbirds.jpg

Today marks the birthday of the late Keith Relf, who would have been 69 years old. Relf, who died May 14, 1976, was the lead singer of the amazingYardbirds, the great 60s British group who paved the way for Led Zeppelin a few years later.

The band spawned THREE guitar players throughout it’s history, all who became legends in their own right: first Eric Clapton, then Jeff Beck, and, finally, one Jimmy Page, who wound up spearheading Zeppelin.

Relf dabbled in many musical groups and genres after The Yardbirds broke up in 1968. He was in the acoustic duo Together, the progressive rock band Renaissance, and finally the hard rock group Armageddon. Keith Relf tragically died on May 14, 1976, a victim of a very Spinal Tap-style rock death, as he was electrocuted while playing his guitar.

Check out here below the great “I’m A Man,” which became a sonic blues staple for years to come afterwards, showcasing great vocals by Relf AND nice harp work by him as well. The video also features Jimmy Page on the guitar and it’s a mind-bender. If you think you don’t know this song, trust me, you do!

Video

The Yardbirds make the cut in this list of Little Steven's favorite garage bands. I was somewhat surprised by some of this other choices though, especially the band he lists last.

Actually it does make sense about the last one. If you ever listened to the Band's box set "A Musical History" their early stuff recorded as The Hawks really pre-dates the Stones, Who and Yardbirds. They were doing the blues /rock/ r n b thing before any of them, really.

Interesting list though, I guess everyone starts in their garage.

Actually it does make sense about the last one. If you ever listened to the Band's box set "A Musical History" their early stuff recorded as The Hawks really pre-dates the Stones, Who and Yardbirds. They were doing the blues /rock/ r n b thing before any of them, really.

Agreed, I just didn't expect to see The Band mentioned. I figured groups like the MC5 and the Animals would have made up much of his list.

• 4 weeks later...

Y'all heard that Yardbirds studio outtake version of "Tangerine" that surfaced a couple years back? I haven't seen that one anywhere, including on the new 4 CD Yardbirds box set "Glimpses" that just came out...

Yeah. It's on YouTube. Called "Knowing That I'm Losing You". If I recall, it's almost the exact same arrangement, guitar solo and all. But with different lyrics. Plant kept "Measuring a summers day".

I really enjoyed hearing it, though the quality was awful.

Here`s a version of a well known tune, performed by the man who actually wrote it.

look at who arranged this (and quite possibly played keys and absolutely played bass on it) :

this being a much more heavy version than the yardbirds rendition with clapton,

i suppose it was recorded after it had been a hit. anyone know more about this ?

• 2 months later...

I swear I hear the announcer introducing Jimmy as "Timmy Page".

'Shapes of Things'

He does! Look at Jimmys face when he says that. I love watchinf the sons from that show. It was shapes of things, over under sideways down, hapennings ten years time ago and im a man. :)

• 11 months later...

Not sure if this has been posted before....

The Yardbirds - Christ The King High School, Middle Village, NY 1967

attachicon.gifyardbirds_middle-village67_photo.jpg

attachicon.gifyardbirds_middle-village67.jpg

Actually, this is a big deal...at least for me. It's known that The Yardbirds embarked upon two tours of North America in 1967, the first from July to August and the second from October to November. Most if not all of the concerts on the first tour have been confirmed, but only five from the second tour. This makes six and it must have occured a day or so after the Village Theater gig on November 3, 1967. It was also on that date that the Little Games album was released in the US & Canada.

I've done some restoration work on the original article:

19671220SceptreThe.jpg

ChristtheKing3-1.jpg

Christ The King High School, Middle Village, NY (Opened 1962)

Edited by SteveAJones

I'm surprised that a band of The Yardbirds' stature agreed to perform at a high school; even a very large one. It would seem a step down from venues like The Whiskey-a-Go-Go or the Fillmore. Had Peter Grant taken over as their manager by this time?

I'm surprised that a band of The Yardbirds' stature agreed to perform at a high school; even a very large one. It would seem a step down from venues like The Whiskey-a-Go-Go or the Fillmore. Had Peter Grant taken over as their manager by this time?

Simon Napier-Bell asked Peter Grant to take over management of The Yardbirds (upon Mickie Most's recommendation) in early 1966. It was after Grant's experience with The Yardbirds that he helped to revolutionize rock n' roll touring with regard to transportation, venues, and finances.

The band's popularity had declined quite a bit since Jeff Beck left the group, so I don't think they could pick and choose all the "top" venues of the day. Besides that, Peter Grant booked them to play wherever he could make money; if that meant playing a concert at a high school, it didn't matter as long as the band got paid.

I would bet that they made more money playing that high school than they made from an average show booked by Giorgio Gomelsky or Simon Napier-Bell.

• 5 weeks later...

Not sure if this has been posted before....

The Yardbirds - Christ The King High School, Middle Village, NY 1967

attachicon.gifyardbirds_middle-village67_photo.jpg

attachicon.gifyardbirds_middle-village67.jpg

These photos can't be from the same show - 1) photo 2 has a clock on the wall behind Jim McCarty that's not in photo 1, 2) Keith Relf's microphone type is different, and 3) the mic stand in photo 2 has a spiral wrapper on the bottom section.

2) and 3) could be explained - different mics may have been used, but I don't think 1) can be explained. The band's clothes are the same, so the shows were probably from the same time period, but it's not the same gig.

update: it looks like the clock is there, so likely the mic was changed. Could very well be the same show.

Edited by thozil

Here`s a version of a well known tune, performed by the man who actually wrote it.

look at who arranged this (and quite possibly played keys and absolutely played bass on it) :

this being a much more heavy version than the yardbirds rendition with clapton,

i suppose it was recorded after it had been a hit. anyone know more about this ?

JPJ was arranging pop music when he was still in his teens. Did anyone else notice that Peter Noone (a.k.a. Herman from Herman's Hermits) was one of the producers?

• 5 months later...

I attended the Christ the King show, I was 15. I bought a ticket and three friends did not. I went in and let my friends in through a side door. The show was amazing and JP used his bow and blew me away. Great night and a great memory!

I attended the Christ the King show, I was 15. I bought a ticket and three friends did not. I went in and let my friends in through a side door. The show was amazing and JP used his bow and blew me away. Great night and a great memory!

Cool. He used his bow on Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Sailor AND I'm Confused back then. Must have been a sight to see!

Back in the 80s the group reformed (sort of) and named themselves The Box of Frogs. I think there were only 2 albums released. The first album self titled Box of Frogs was pretty good. The second album was called Strange Land and was pretty good also and they re-did Heart Full of Soul which was pretty cool.

John Fiddler - vocals, guitar

Jim McCarty - drums, backing vocals

Chris Dreja - rhythm guitar, backing vocals

Paul Samwell Smith - bass, backing vocals

Also on the first album it says "our thanks to Dzal for lead and rhythm guitar, backing vocals, and percussion.

If you can find a copy get the first album on Epic Records from 1984 it is really worth a listen.

• 3 months later...

thozil ... My local cover band opened for The Yardbirds that night at Christ the King. The Yardbirds playing CK was bizarre indeed.

Answers: The clock is a matter of perspective but it's there. They used our sound system that night and those mics and (yes) spiral stands were ours.

• 2 weeks later...

I found at the record store a picture disc of an interview with Jim McCarty and Chris Dreja called Afternoon Tea. It's from 1982, just before Box of Frogs. It's the interview, or one of them, in which Chris jokes that Jimmy Page was so eager to join the Yardbirds that he would've probably played drums.

Not a rare item but interesting, to me anyway. The back features reminiscences of Shelly Heber, who was president of the Yardbirds' fan club--Taspey--in the late 1960s. Her comments are in some cases pretty negative, probably not the sort of thing that would be included on an album sleeve today. I've attached a few pics including the text of the paragraph that mentions Jimmy.

post-27927-0-67037200-1399849299_thumb.j

post-27927-0-74112900-1399849344_thumb.j

post-27927-0-07360000-1399849377_thumb.j

post-27927-0-19484400-1399849399_thumb.j