An Energetic Romp Through Jurassic Park (JPJ concert review)

Cat

New York Times Apr 4, 2000

by Ann Powers

Here's a challenge: Take some of the most popular songs by the biggest rock band in the world and strip them of their obviousness, making them arty and new. It seems impossible, especially if you were once a member of said big band and therefore tied to the classic versions. Yet John Paul Jones, the former bassist for Led Zeppelin, neatly managed the task last Tuesday night.

''It's dinosaur time,'' he announced, beginning the watery keyboard introduction to Zep's ''No Quarter.'' Yet as the song moved from psychedelic metal to Weather Report-style fusion, with some Afro-Cuban rhythms, Mr. Jones made an omelet of this dinosaur egg. The audience, enraptured at the mere presence of its idol, showed no resentment at his alterations.

He kept the familiar riffs in place on this and other Zep songs, including ''When the Levee Breaks'' and ''Black Dog.'' But his new arrangements, realized by himself on various instruments, Nick Beggs on the guitarlike Chapman stick and Terl Bryant on drums, were more flexible than the originals.

The lack of a vocalist required extra attentiveness. But Mr. Jones was always Zep's most cerebral member, and it was exciting to witness his well-considered revisions.

The turnabouts began at the level of the players. Mr. Beggs, whose roots in the New Wave band Kajagoogoo showed in his costume (a black kilt and net shirt), countered Mr. Jones's inevitable heaviness with his stick, a modified guitar fingered with both hands that offers a liquid tone. Mr. Bryant stressed speed and punchiness over brawn, sometimes giving a jazzy feel.

Jazziest of all were Mr. Jones's new compositions from ''Zooma,'' his first solo album, released on Robert Fripp's Disipline Global Network label last autumn. Although their strong riffs and fairly straightforward rhythms kept his compositions within the definition of rock, they were most interesting when they meshed with other styles, including bebop and Texas country blues.

New York Times Apr 4, 2000

by Ann Powers

.... Yet John Paul Jones, the former bassist for Led Zeppelin, neatly managed the task last Tuesday night.

''It's dinosaur time,'' he announced,

snip~

i saw this tour at the park west in chicago. have you seen anything from the chi-town papers about the zooma tour, cat?

one of my faves were the triple neck song where he played along to loops of himself...smokin'!

thanks for all of your posts! they are the 1st things that i read on this board.

i saw this tour at the park west in chicago. have you seen anything from the chi-town papers about the zooma tour, cat?

one of my faves were the triple neck song where he played along to loops of himself...smokin'!

thanks for all of your posts! they are the 1st things that i read on this board.

I will keep looking and thanks for reading!

have you seen anything from the chi-town papers about the zooma tour, cat?

October 15, 1999 Chicago Sun-Times

"Life After Zeppelin" John Paul Jones rocks hard with new trio

Interview by Jim DeRogatis

October 15, 1999 Chicago Tribune

"Mystery Man" Led Zeppelin's secret weapon, the inscrutable John Paul Jones

Interview by Greg Kot

October 21, 1999 Chicago Sun-Times

"John Paul Jones at the Park West"

Concert review by Jim DeRogatis (favorable): Chicago, IL Park West October 20th 1999

October 22, 1999 Chicago Tribune

"Led-Free, High-Octane" Underappreciated John Paul Jones cranks up the volume

Concert review by Greg Kot (favorable): Chicago, IL Park West October 20th 1999

If Cat has not already posted these to the board I have them all on file in my archive.

October 15, 1999 Chicago Sun-Times

"Life After Zeppelin" John Paul Jones rocks hard with new trio

Interview by Jim DeRogatis

October 15, 1999 Chicago Tribune

"Mystery Man" Led Zeppelin's secret weapon, the inscrutable John Paul Jones

Interview by Greg Kot

October 21, 1999 Chicago Sun-Times

"John Paul Jones at the Park West"

Concert review by Jim DeRogatis (favorable): Chicago, IL Park West October 20th 1999

October 22, 1999 Chicago Tribune

"Led-Free, High-Octane" Underappreciated John Paul Jones cranks up the volume

Concert review by Greg Kot (favorable): Chicago, IL Park West October 20th 1999

If Cat has not already posted these to the board I have them all on file in my archive.

I believe I have posted them.

Archived