Guitarist's wardrobe made to measure

Cat

Guitarist's wardrobe made to measure

Maev Kennedy, arts and heritage correspondent The Guardian, Wednesday May 29 2002 Article historyAbout this articleClose This article appeared in the Guardian on Wednesday May 29 2002 . It was last updated at 10:32 on May 29 2002.

Photo: Jim Wileman/APEX

page_.jpg

Jimmy Page is having to make do without his favourite wardrobe. Yesterday the Led Zeppelin guitarist visited it in a room where, in an opium-fuelled dream of the middle ages, it has joined an outrageous golden bed on loan from the V&A. Bed, wardrobe, room and house itself were all designed by William Burges, maddest of the Victorian gothic revival architects. They have been brought together at Knighthayes Court in Devon to demonstrate the startling effect of a commission which was left unfinished in 1874.

Page's wardrobe is painted with symbolic animal portraits, quotations and weirdnesses. One side is a press, painted with opium poppies and scarlet hares, made to hold laudanum, the opiate to which the designer was addicted.

Page has lent the wardrobe for the Burges room, which has been newly created. Burges designed Knighthayes Court for Sir John Heathcoat Amory, an industrialist turned country squire. The house was built but when Heathcoat Amory saw Burges's drawings for the interiors; a more conventional designer was brought in to finish the job.

The wardrobe is Page's favourite piece in his collection of Victorian Gothic works. He can bear to loan it for only three months. The National Trust can hardly bear to empty the room and is considering having a replica made

Page's wardrobe is painted with symbolic animal portraits, quotations and weirdnesses. One side is a press, painted with opium poppies and scarlet hares, made to hold laudanum, the opiate to which the designer was addicted.

I wish they would have included a photo of the wardrobe - it sounds interesting.

No, that and a few other shirts were done for him by a female designer. Her name escapes me at the moment...I want to say it was Coco (or Luna?) from Southern California. Anyone else care to confirm or deny?

Jimmy said her name was Coco in a fairly recent interview (can't remember where right now).

And I'd love to see that wardrobe as well.

• 2 months later...

Archived