"Candy Store Rock"

BlackDog71

That's an astonishing list, Rover, coming from a Zeppelin fan, especially the last few--but to each his own, I guess.

Btw, did you notice you're replying to a post made in January 2008?

After reading that list, I think I will skip The Rover for a while. It is way overrated on this site and the lyrics are meaningless (the reason why it was never played live). Although, I will admit that all other elements in that song are solid.

After reading that list, I think I will skip The Rover for a while. It is way overrated on this site and the lyrics are meaningless (the reason why it was never played live). Although, I will admit that all other elements in that song are solid.

I don't think it's overrated here - it's just a lot of people like the song.

I don't think it's overrated on this site at all - like ninelives said, it's just a popular song. If it was overrated it'd get the same overused treatment like Stairway. And I don't understand how you can say the lyrics are 'meaningless' - and that being the reason why it was never played live - they are no more obscure/'meaningless' than Stairway, or, indeed, Candy Store Rock.

I don't think it's overrated on this site at all - like ninelives said, it's just a popular song. If it was overrated it'd get the same overused treatment like Stairway. And I don't understand how you can say the lyrics are 'meaningless' - and that being why the reason why it was never played live - they are no more obscure/'meaningless' than Stairway, or, indeed, Candy Store Rock.

Exactly - There were a lot of songs they never did live and I doubt it was due to "meaningless" lyrics.

Exactly - There were a lot of songs they never did live and I doubt it was due to "meaningless" lyrics.

Well, if I'm honest, I can find a lot of Robert's lyrics 'meaningless', but only in the sense that they don't mean much to me. I'm often thinking, 'what the hell were you on?' But, they're meaningful to him. And that's what's important. Besides, Robert never professed to being a profound lyricist - he's always been a singer first.

Well, if I'm honest, I can find a lot of Robert's lyrics 'meaningless', but only in the sense that they don't mean much to me. I'm often thinking, 'what the hell were you on?' But, they're meaningful to him. And that's what's important. Besides, Robert never professed to being a profound lyricist - he's always been a singer first.

I think Robert's always had interesting lyrics and his writing has definitely grown over time. Some of his best lyrics IMO are on Fate of Nations and Mighty Rearranger. But as you said, it's really subjective and again, I doubt that was why they didn't do the Rover or any other song live. I seem to recall Jimmy stating that if they couldn't recreate the song properly live, they wouldn't do it. So I'd guess the Rover didn't work for them in a live setting.

I think Robert's always had interesting lyrics and his writing has definitely grown over time. Some of his best lyrics IMO are on Fate of Nations and Mighty Rearranger. But as you said, it's really subjective and again, I doubt that was why they didn't do the Rover or any other song live. I seem to recall Jimmy stating that if they couldn't recreate the song properly live, they wouldn't do it. So I'd guess the Rover didn't work for them in a live setting.

He's definately grown as a lyricist, and I still think one of the very first songs he wrote with Zeppelin - Thank You - is beautiful. A lot of my favourite singers - Stevie Nicks, Bob Dylan, Joni Mitchell, etc - have obscure lyrics. Some of them are completely lost on me, others make me amazed at just how much I can relate.

But, I seriously doubt a song was not performed live because of the lyrics. You don't perform a song live because of 'meaningless' lyrics, you may as well have not bothered recording it at all.

I first heard this on our former rock station 96 rock in 1976 when Presence was released, and I was only 14 years old.

But this was the very first Led Zeppelin song I had ever heard and I thought it was awesome, and that was the beginning of my following and turning into a Zeppfanatic as I discovered all of their material as I eventually bought all of their albums, of course everything is on CD now.

I think I own every CD and DVD that the group has put out.

But yeah Candy Store Rock- ROCKS!!

96 rock in atlanta?

• 2 weeks later...
Wow. Argumentative this morning, aren't we Elizabeth? :huh:

Jeez. Be nice. I was just making a point.

Actually you're the one who started the conversation between the two of you. I disagree with you completely.

Whose opinion would I be posting, other than my own? I don't think I'd ask my neighbor what he thinks and then post it here. So why preface a post in a thread asking for people's opinions with "In my opinion"? Isn't that a tad redundant? Shouldn't it be blatantly obvious to people that I am indeed, posting my opinion on the song? If I was posting what someone else thought of the song, I would say so.

My word.

:notworthy: You could not have said it any better. I feel the same way about the song too. Not very good. Oh wait! I think I shoud have told everybody who's opinion I'm giving! :slapface: Give me a break! LOL

• 2 weeks later...
It's...Led Zep had better songs than Candy Store Rock.

There's too much oh babe babe blablabla

Honestly I don't like Presence that much-only a few songs.

Hi Lena,

I couldnt agree with you any LESS, since when do the mere mortals that troll these sites need to know the "Why's" and "Wherefore's" of the meanings of the words that a Lyrical God such as Robert Plant writes?

Just be thankful for what he has given us, if you really dont like it then i should feel sorry for you, for you have the greater loss, but I dont.

And please remember this to all you Trolls out there, if you dont like what they have done, ask yourself this question,

"In My time Of Dying" how do I expext to climb the "Stairway to Heaven" to get in to the "Houses Of The Holy"?

And without "Rock And Roll" there will be no "Celebration Day" for you, you will be fighting "For Your Life" without any "Friends" to help you to get "In The Light."

And you will be "Trampled Underfoot" by a "Black Country Woman" and you will say its "Nobodys Fault But Mine" as you go to the "Gallows Pole" but hey, "Thats The Way" because "Your Time Is Gonna Come" and "How Many More Time" do I have to say this to you?

You might be a "Heartbreaker" or a "Living Loving Maid" but "Babe i'm Gonna Leave You" because "You shook me" and left me "Dazed And Confused" "Down By The Seaside" because of some "Communication Breakdown" but "I Cant Quit You Babe" even though "What Is And What Should Never Be" happened while we were "Going To California" and left me "Sick Again" "In The Evening" after eating some "Custard Pie" with a "Hot Dog" that left me feeling like "Poor Tom" doing the "Walters Walk" now theres only "Tea For One" so i'm off to the "Misty Mountain Hop" with "Tangerine" and i'm gonna "Bring It On Home" over "The Ocean" giving "No Quarter" to the "Fool In The Rain."

Well "Darleen" we've been "Wearing And Tearing" for so long that "Were Gonna Groove" and then "I'm Gonna Crawl" right back to the "Ozone Baby," near "Achilles Last Stand" where "Bron-Y-Aur" meets "Kashmir" and if I find out that you wanna "Boogie With Stu" then its "Over The Hills And Far Away" for me, and as I "Ramble On" through "Carouselambra" going with "South Bound Saurez" asking myself, if "The Song Remains The Same" then are these my "Dancing Days" or will I catch "The Crunge" from "The Immigrant (Song)"?

But in the end, through "Good Times" and "Bad Times" we should take our "Hats Off To Harper" because he gave you a "Whole Lotta Love" while I could only give you "The Lemon (Song)", and yes I know its "Ten Years Gone" but "Since I've Been Loving You" I've made my "Night Flight" to "Royal Orleans" so you can call me "The Rover" but "Hey Hey What can I Do" after our "Battle Of Evermore" but say "Baby Come On Home" while you hit me with your "Four Sticks" and I hear someone say, "D'yer Mak'er" and I say, hell no, that "(The) Wanton (Song)" woman brought the "Rain (Song)" down on me, and me i'm just a "Traveling Riverside Blues" man with a "Black Dog". And just who is it that doesnt like "Candy Store Rock"? You should be thrown over the "Black Mountain Side"

"Thank You" for listening to my "Swan Song".

"All Of My Love" and Kind Regards, Danny

PS, "When The Levee Breaks" I'll be "Out On The Tiles" again, with my "Moby Dick" in my hands with the "Hots On For Nowhere", I hope its gonna be a "White Summer" again.

^^^

I think that may be the most impressive post ever conceived.

Hi 'illestkeith' (or just keith?)

You are too kind my friend, it has been said that there is a very fine line between "Genius" and "Insanity" and I think I crossed over tonight, time for my tablets me thinks, and then off to the Institution. :lol:

Kind Regards, Danny

Dan, how long did it take for you to write that up? That's the best post I've read for a while :D

Hi LDW,

I would like to thank you all for your kind comments, especially you LDW.

Now I aint having anyone put some lable on me for that piece of "boredom".

I'm glad you like it, and yea it took me quite a while, 2 hours checking that I had referenced every Led Zeppelin track, and I have probably missed one or two as well.

But sometimes you mind goes blank and other times "God" sends a little help, that happens to me quite a lot, but its all in good fun for you guys that like me stay up late to while away the hours because were suffering from insomnia or something, thats all, I aint no Jimmy or Robert OK, and I dont want a day job either, but thanks for appreciating my ramblings.

Much obliged and Very Kind Regards to you LDW, Danny

Archived