METALLICA: New Album To Be Released In October?

METALLICA: New Album To Be Released In October?

Amazon.com is currently listing an October 28, 2008 release date for the new METALLICA album. It should be noted, however, that this information has not yet been corroborated by the band or the group's record label, Warner Bros. Music.

METALLICA has set up a web site at MissionMetallica.com that says it will offer fans a chance to "experience the new album before it's done."

METALLICA drummer Lars Ulrich told RollingStone.com that the band intends to explore "everything" in terms of selling its music once its current recording contract expires. But although the group's upcoming ninth studio album is its last with Warner Bros., Ulrich said they would be hesitant to follow in the footsteps of U2 and MADONNA and sign a comprehensive "360 deal" with Live Nation. Ulrich explained, "We've never sold ourselves that way. No disrespect. We want to be as free a player as possible. We've been observing RADIOHEAD and Trent Reznor and in 27 years or however long it takes for the next record, we'll be looking forward to everything in terms of possibilities with the Internet."

Ulrich told The Pulse of Radio something similar when asked what the band will do once its contract is finished. "There's a bunch of possibilities out there," he said. "It's great to be able to have the choices, and it's great when you don't need the record company to sign the checks, you know what I mean? Then it sort of becomes a whole different thing. The landscape continues to change, you know, so we'll see."

Ulrich talked with Rolling Stone on April 19, as the band did an autograph session at an independent record store in northern California to celebrate Record Store Day. Ulrich called the group's participation a "no-brainer," adding, "The record store has been such a huge part of our lives. When I was 12, 14 years old in Denmark, the record store was the Holy Grail and the guy who worked there was my hero."

The band has scheduled a slew of European festival dates for May, June, July and August in addition to two U.S. shows, on May 16 at a radio festival in Tucson, Arizona and mid-June at the Bonnaroo Festival in Tennessee.

metallicanola89.jpg

Metallica New Orleans 89

Al!!! :o Also the Metallica you have seen!!! Isn't there any band you haven't seen live? :D

I saw them in Europe back in '86 or '87, can't remember exactly when. A bit loud, but good. Very powerful sound. Kirk is one of my favorite guitarists from the 80s era.

I hope it is better than St Anger because I felt deep down that there was a huge suckage factor involved with that album and if the suckage does not lessen they may loose some fans

To use Ulrich's word, I think that album turned out "stock". I think the lyrics are great but the music is a little bland - some of the songs sound the same (I don't mean in a production way, musicologically there are similarities between several of the songs, to the point where I get confused and expect the chorus or verse from another song to kick in, as the part preceding is so similar).

I hope the let Kirk Hammett loose again and forget the 'no solos' rule.

To use Ulrich's word, I think that album turned out "stock". I think the lyrics are great but the music is a little bland - some of the songs sound the same (I don't mean in a production way, musicologically there are similarities between several of the songs, to the point where I get confused and expect the chorus or verse from another song to kick in, as the part preceding is so similar).

I hope the let Kirk Hammett loose again and forget the 'no solos' rule.

Hopefully so I am a older fella and have liked them from about 83 Well there was no Zep and Robert had done verry little touring so I had to listen to something anyway I like quite a bit of thier stuff just hated ST Anger Yeah let Kirk play dam it!

Al!!! :o Also the Metallica you have seen!!! Isn't there any band you haven't seen live? :D

I saw them in Europe back in '86 or '87, can't remember exactly when. A bit loud, but good. Very powerful sound. Kirk is one of my favorite guitarists from the 80s era.

Not many worth seeing that I have not saw at least once I have been too 4 Metallica shows a good friend of mine CW loves them like I do Zep and He drags me to quite a few of thier shows . This was the best so far Metallica and corrosion of Conformity Biloxi Mississippi awesome stage show it rivaled or surpassed the many Alice Cooper and Kiss shows I have been to.

METALLICA97BILOXI.jpg

A device has yet to be invented that can measure my indifference to a new metallica album.

:D:D:D:D My reaction exactly, KOTHP!!!

Not that I didn't like Metallica back in the day...saw some great early

Ride the Lightning/Master of Puppets-era shows.

But for me, Metallica jumped the shark when Cliff Burton died.

I liked the sound of St Anger, but musically, I don't know.. Some of it sounds almost like Linkin Park, which I hate.. What I did like was the speed metal influences. Whatever they make of the new album, I really hope they never go back to their 90's style, that was the worst crap they ever did.

Favorite Metallica album: Master Of Puppets

Ulrich also said that the new album will be like the missing link between ...and justice and the black album, which can only be good. as long as hammet plays a solo i'm confident this will be one of the biggest albums of the year

I think the only thing that would get me interested in them again would be if they brought Dave Mustaine back in.

With the current mental state of james hetfield( see documentary 'some kind of monster'), that would be impossible

From Billboard.com:

Metallica Taking Fans Inside New Album Sessions

metallica_03l.gif

Metallica

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

As the September release of its first album in five years draws near, Metallica has launched the Web site "Mission: Metallica" to offer fans a wealth of exclusive content and teasers of new songs.

A preview clip shows the band recording and clowning around in the studio. Fans who sign up will be eligible to "win backstage passes to every show this summer," among other special offers.

"Mission: Metallica" also has a "platinum" level, entitling fans to a copy of the new album delivered on street date, weekly "fly on the wall" video clips, contests to travel to shows and/or Metallica's San Francisco compound, live show downloads, ringtones and more.

It is unclear what, if anything, the services will cost.

Metallica will be on the road this summer in advance of the as-yet-untitled album, beginning Wednesday (May 14) with a show at Los Angeles' intimate Wiltern Theatre. A European run begins May 28 in Chorzow, Poland.

Ulrich Reveals Metallica Tour Plans at L.A. Benefit

metallica_03l.gif

Metallica

Mitchell Peters, L.A.

Metallica drummer Lars Ulrich revealed last night (May 14) during an intimate Los Angeles benefit concert that the band will follow the September release of its new, as-yet-untitled album with a tour in October.

"That was the first show of the tour," announced Metallica guitarist Kirk Hammett, who, along with his bandmates, shredded through a nearly two-hour set with such hits as "For Whom the Bell Tolls," "Fuel," "Master of Puppets," "...And Justice for All," "Enter Sandman," and "Seek and Destroy," at Los Angeles' 2,300-capacity Wiltern Theatre.

To read the rest of the article click here.

Ulrich Reveals Metallica Tour Plans at L.A. Benefit

metallica_03l.gif

Metallica

Mitchell Peters, L.A.

Metallica drummer Lars Ulrich revealed last night (May 14) during an intimate Los Angeles benefit concert that the band will follow the September release of its new, as-yet-untitled album with a tour in October.

"That was the first show of the tour," announced Metallica guitarist Kirk Hammett, who, along with his bandmates, shredded through a nearly two-hour set with such hits as "For Whom the Bell Tolls," "Fuel," "Master of Puppets," "...And Justice for All," "Enter Sandman," and "Seek and Destroy," at Los Angeles' 2,300-capacity Wiltern Theatre.

To read the rest of the article click here.

I can't see it being better then 'The Black Album' every song was awesome, they just haven't lived up to what they made themselves into! Like one of the previous posts mentions, Hetfields' head is all over the show, doing his disappearing acts, etc... They could've been so much more, but they have done some great stuff!!!

Ulrich Promises 'Dynamic' New Metallica Album

Gary Graff, Detroit

Metallica is "a couple of nips and tucks" away from completing its next album, which is still on target for a September release, according to drummer Lars Ulrich.

During a conference call yesterday (May 15) promoting this year's Bonnaroo Music Festival, which Metallica will headline on June 13, Ulrich told reporters that the group hopes to wrap up work on the album in time for the Memorial Day weekend holiday. Metallica recently met with a graphic designer to begin planning the package, though there's no confirmed title for the album yet and the songs still have working names.

You can read the rest of the article here.

Archived