Page Coverdale Live 1993

BigJetPlane

I understand a lot of folks here don't like the Page/Coverdale album or the very concept of them making a record together, but I'll admit I think their '93 album is awesome, and I still listen to it. I think Page's guitar riffs are the best I've heard post-Zeppelin.

Has anyone seen videos from the Page/Coverdale shows in Japan from late 1993? I came across a few of these posted on youtube and I could not believe what I was seeing - Page was absolutely on fire! Some of the best Page live footage I've ever seen!

I understand a lot of folks here don't like the Page/Coverdale album or the very concept of them making a record together, but I'll admit I think their '93 album is awesome, and I still listen to it. I think Page's guitar riffs are the best I've heard post-Zeppelin.

Has anyone seen videos from the Page/Coverdale shows in Japan from late 1993? I came across a few of these posted on youtube and I could not believe what I was seeing - Page was absolutely on fire! Some of the best Page live footage I've ever seen!

The video quality is shit but the audio is fantastic. If Coverversion would stop cursing between songs maybe they would have done a few more shows. :D

I did like this collaboration for many reasons. Biggest one is, it pissed Robert right the fuck off. He does not like D/C one bit. And I believe it pushed him into working with Jimmy again. So for that, David, I am grateful. Also people say D/C is a great guy, and he and Jimmy, are very good friends.

What is your assessment of these shows? I'm sure Page will never officially release this material. Is it worth getting? From the few clips I saw it sounded like it could have been a great tour. Do you know why they only did these few shows?

Do you know why they only did these few shows?

Yes, how much detail do you really want? Basically Jimmy was content to play clubs

and small amphitheaters while David insisted they book an arena tour. David won the

argument based on his recent success with Whitesnake. So a 45-date tour of the US

was announced with Vince Neil as an opening act.

The first few dates went on sale and the tickets did NOT sell. It proved Jimmy was

right, that they had overstated their popularity. The whole tour was shelved. Then

the label came back and said, hey, we've pumped a lot of money into the album,

you guys need to tour behind it.

A seven date tour of Japan was duly scheduled. I call those dates the "Magnificent

Seven" after the famous Western film but in reality they're more like two performers

fulfilling a contractual obligation to the best of their ability. I think Jimmy was ok

with it because it got him out on the road again, but David looks like he's phoning

it in from time to time. You have to remember Jimmy had cajoled David out of semi-

retirement in the first place.

I used to listen to those concert cds a lot but there's no getting around the weak

bass lines, drums and keyboards. It's like two super stars touring with a bar band.

I used to watch the videos a lot but every show seems just like the last. They

didn't have the spontaneity one would have thought. It was very tight, not loose.

When David's really trying though he's very good on the boots of those shows.

Sure, I mean his personality is always going to be larger than life. There's nothing

boring about these shows, they're just real tight and I'm used to Jimmy having

more freedom to improvise.

I love the Coverdale/Page disc and under-rated IMO.

I think Pages guitar is smoking hot on that disc. It's a shame Plant wouldn't "take him for a little while" for that period and often wonder how much of a hand Page had in writing the lyrics to that song. :huh:

Thanks for the linkage.

There is no doubt that Coverdale/Page Kicked Ass. It is awkward to me to see Coverdale singing Zeppelin songs and moving around like Robert Plant. :blink:
Even more awkward is Plant singing Shake My Tree!! :(

Overall, I liked Page's guitarwork just fine, but guitarwork alone does not make timeless music and there's a reason you did'nt hear more than 1-2 tunes from it on the radio ....and those were'nt in rotation for very long either.

as far as the comment about Plant or Page not being able to fill big venues without each other.........where were you in the 80's?? Plant was selling out the very venues Zep did 6-8 yrs earlier. As did Page w/ the Firm.

here's Page/Coverdale in rehearsal.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i_m0dCMC9c

Imho, i recommend -page/black crowes as far as jimmy page playing in the 90s, excluding the page/plant/unledded/walking out of clarksdale projects ofcourse.

I think Page plays fine on the cd, but I think what he came up with is corny sounding. I back up Plant for rejecting Shake My Tree for a Zeppelin song. Does anyone have an idea why Plant worked with him right after C/P? It seems that that would have turned him off working with Page, he didn't like Coverdale.

I really like the Coverdale-Page CD. I worked in radio broadcasting for years and when that album came out there was NO promotion from the record company. If I hadn't already been a fan of Jimmy's music and knew to look for it I wouldn't have known it had been released. No ads in the trades urging stations to add the tunes to their playlists and, consequently, very little airplay. I was one of the few program directors in a medium market to add anything off the album. I remember thinking the record company was treating it like an indie album from some garage band. I lived in a high state of pissed-off over it for a couple of months. :rolleyes:

I love it and also think it his best stuff since Zep. I think this union showed Coverdale in a good light as it sounds as though he is singing differently than he would in Snake,, I love those riffs on the cd !! A really great shame they didn't do more gigs, I for one would of gone to them !!

I love it and also think it his best stuff since Zep. I think this union showed Coverdale in a good light as it sounds as though he is singing differently than he would in Snake,, I love those riffs on the cd !! A really great shame they didn't do more gigs, I for one would of gone to them !!

Page / Coverdale was a complete return to form for Mr. Page. The riff's and production on that album are outstanding. Check "Shake My Tree" and "Whisper a Prayer for the Dying". Coverdale aquits himself quit well.

It was a guilty pleasure watching Plant sing Shake My Tree during the first leg of the Page / Plant tour in '95.

I really had no problem with the Coverplant/Page union until I saw footage of them live.

Ouch! I really liked the album. Coverdale's not my kind of singer, but the songs are cool and Jimmy playing is awsome. Jimmy plays some cool harmonica too!

But g-d! Seeing that really made me sad because it is so obvious that Jimmy just always wanted to work with Robert and do more Zeppelin.

Well, now he's got the chance!

Can't wait for the DVD and the world tour!

C'mon, you know it's gonna happen!

I love the Coverdale/Page disc and under-rated IMO.

I think Pages guitar is smoking hot on that disc. It's a shame Plant wouldn't "take him for a little while" for that period and often wonder how much of a hand Page had in writing the lyrics to that song. :huh:

Thanks for the linkage.

I seem to recall David saying for this track he was lyrically inspired to some degree by Smokey Robinson's 'Tears of A Clown'. No, really.

I really like the Coverdale-Page CD. I worked in radio broadcasting for years and when that album came out there was NO promotion from the record company. If I hadn't already been a fan of Jimmy's music and knew to look for it I wouldn't have known it had been released. No ads in the trades urging stations to add the tunes to their playlists and, consequently, very little airplay. I was one of the few program directors in a medium market to add anything off the album. I remember thinking the record company was treating it like an indie album from some garage band. I lived in a high state of pissed-off over it for a couple of months. :rolleyes:

The promotional campaign was actually MASSIVE, but radio was relegated to secondary status. The Album Network did produce a 'Coverdale/Page World Premier' which aired

in the US on March 11 1993 while Westwood One produced 'The Coverdale/Page Special' which aired in the US the week of April 11 1993.

Despite heavy videoplay on MTV, substantial ads in the music press and numerous tv

interviews the album sales dropped like a stone after two weeks. Basically, anyone who

was going to buy one got it upon release. Ultimately, it did go gold (500,000 sold).

Does anyone have an idea why Plant worked with him right after C/P?

MTV had provided coverage of Robert Plant's 1993 tour, and ultimately expressed

an interest in having him perform on their hugely popular tv program 'Unplugged'.

They say timing is everything: Jimmy attended Robert's gig at the Orpheum Theater

in Boston on Nov 20th 1993. He met the band and expressed to Robert his interest

in working together. Note this conversation took place as Jimmy was enroute to

Coverdale/Page Japanese tour rehearsals.

By February 1994 they were in London working at Depot Studios with drum loops.

They played the Alexis Korner Memorial Concert at the Buxton Opera House on

April 17, 1994 and would continue to rehearse and record for MTV's Unplugged

throughout the summer. The rest is history.

Archived