Page Coverdale Live 1993

BigJetPlane

Coverdale-Page album went Platinum in the US according to riaa.com, as well a having a #1 video on MTV (Pride and Joy). Pretty decent showing for an album that was never toured on. Page's guitar work kicked royal ass on the CD, that's for sure. I agree about Coverdale's cursing during the few live shows they did, it wasn't necessary.

The promotional campaign was actually MASSIVE, but radio was relegated to secondary status. The Album Network did produce a 'Coverdale/Page World Premier' which aired

in the US on March 11 1993 while Westwood One produced 'The Coverdale/Page Special' which aired in the US the week of April 11 1993.

Despite heavy videoplay on MTV, substantial ads in the music press and numerous tv

interviews the album sales dropped like a stone after two weeks. Basically, anyone who

was going to buy one got it upon release. Ultimately, it did go gold (500,000 sold).

Wrong, it went Platinum in the US by 1995, according to RIAA.

I understand a lot of folks here don't like the Page/Coverdale album or the very concept of them making a record together, but I'll admit I think their '93 album is awesome, and I still listen to it. I think Page's guitar riffs are the best I've heard post-Zeppelin.

Has anyone seen videos from the Page/Coverdale shows in Japan from late 1993? I came across a few of these posted on youtube and I could not believe what I was seeing - Page was absolutely on fire! Some of the best Page live footage I've ever seen!

Havn't seen the "footage", but have a live 2x CD boot of Japan gigs, & Jimmy plays well, But the only times that Jimmy has been on "Fire" is when the "Original Three" are behind him, & Peter Grant sat in the Wings.

I thought the coverdale/page songs sounded great live....I thought the zeppelin tunes sucked. totally flat drums, and coverdales voice wasn't powerful enough to go with jimmy's guitar. the whitesnake tunes were just odd...page a blues guitarist. playing to songs written by the heavy metal likes of john sykes.....just didn't fit to me..

Coverdale is a cover of Robert plant.I wonder how many hours he spent in the mirror working on his look.I wonder if when he went to the hairdresser he said "I want to look Just like Robert Plant".Whitesnake is one of the biggest zep rip offs.In the still of the night is Black dog with a whole lotta love middle part and some kashmir tossed in for good effect.David Coverdale ? how can he even pretend that he is his own thing. I wonder who he would have ripped off if Robert never was? I almost lost faith in Jimmy when he did that album.the only thing I liked about that album was watching Page/Plant do shake my tree in Vancouver BC

I used to listen to those concert cds a lot but there's no getting around the weak

bass lines, drums and keyboards. It's like two super stars touring with a bar band.

I used to watch the videos a lot but every show seems just like the last. They

didn't have the spontaneity one would have thought. It was very tight, not loose.

I agree with a lot of what you say Steve, although I really think that Page's playing on these shows was very good indeed. It's a pity about Covernote & the rest of the band! :huh:

The Page/Coverdale project was well done.

Some of Jimmy's best post-Zep riffs are on that record. And there are times when Coverdale's voice isn't too bad but then after a while it begins to grate on my nerves.

I always look back on that record with a bittersweet feeling. Some of those tunes could have been future Zep classics.

Archived