Page Interview/Review Fillmore West show

Cat

Oakland (CA) Tribune

5/17/1969

Today's column is an interview-review of "Led Zeppelin's recent concert at Fillmore

West. James Taylor of Alameda caught Jimmy Paige, the group's leader, at

an introspective moment and managed to capture much of the complexity of his personality

and his music.

Recently, Led Zeppelin" appeared in San Francisco displaying the talents of four

young English musicians to a huge, appreciative audience. Offering a sound which crosses

the abstraction of a Jackson Pollach painting with the smooth flow of a sine wave,

Zeppelin's performance gave insight into both the nature of its audience and the

minds of its members. The music is greater than the sum of its parts and thus

only has relevance when considered as an entity. The lyrics, techniques, electronics

and the artistry of the performers enables the listener to immerse himself in the music,

washing out frustrations and cleansing the soul for brief, satisfying moments.

The music, wild and hairy, screams from the light onstage, then tapers to a knife

edge of quiet and explodes again.

Jimmy Paige, lead guitarist, said that sometimes the movement gets so frantic that

they forget the song being played. Prearranged cues enable the group to maintain

control over their rage. Paige's guitar work (which can be found on many important

records by other artists) roams exquisitely along the entire range of hearing.

Robert Plant's vocals function, not to lead, but rather merge as an instrument into

the whole. Drummer John Bonham puts drive into the fluid, velvety smoothness of

John Paul Jones' bass. The result is vascillation between the ecstasy of love and the

chaos of anger.

Paige is, although he chooses not to believe it, the motivating force behind the group. His shy. almost anemic countenance belies the fire in his eyes. Tall, thin, Paige spoke with a voice so inaudible that it is an obvious paradox to his music.

He said the arrangements are his, most of the songs are his and the frustration communicated is truly his.

"I am a mediocre guitarist at best," he said. "There are others so much mere capable than I. No. I really don't like being thought of as a star.

"This movie star thing continued. "I don't feel it is a part of pop."

(An $8 thousand investment by Atlantic records in "Zepplin" reveals the falsity of this feeling.)

Paige lives under the psychological shadow of Eric Clapton. Jeff Beck, Jack

Bruce and other great rock artists. His talent is obviously his pride, yet his shaky ego

tells him that his guitar is worthless. He reeks frustration. Nervous hands grasp at

invisible straws, his eyes duck behind his answers but suddenly from nowhere will come

his bold laugh.

If a question is asked, Paige's answer is usually to avoid the question or to answer

it in the words of others. I asked which is the best group now playing.

Paige: "Well, you're in a better position to answer that."

What would you like people to draw from you in terms of

image, I asked.

Paige: "I wish they wouldn't."

Sensitive to critical disapproval, Paige's shrewdness of defense and humility of person

indicated his belief in his essential inferiority feelings. This contrasted with the image

he develops with his audience makes Paige even more fascinating. The causes of his

desperation may vary but the skinny white "heavy" and his audience communicate. The

joy of release (freedom) thus becomes the pleasure of his music.

If "Led Zepplin" is not what you need, Paige can be found dealing quitar elsewhere.

Once a member of "The Yardbirds," his guitar provided much of the backing tract

for the movie, "Blow Up.",A & M's new Joe Cocker LP; "With A Little Help From My Friends." features Paige's guitar along with Stevie Windwood's organ and is nothing short of great.

Paige doesn't feel capable of discussing society but he had comments on the difference

between England and America. This country could learn a lot from England's

economic downfall, he feels.

"It was the dependence on military-materialism which destroyed England." he said,

"and it will destrov America."

The repression of both left and right in this country frightens him. "Men should allow

each other all the freedom he can within the framework of society."' he said. "America

could save the world but the 'White man's burden' concept is lost in the childishness of

self-interest."

The key to Paige as a man can be found in his answer to a question:

Do you love life? Paige: "I really don't know."

People, however, will have the good fortune of enjoying his music for a long time to

come. The significant fact about English groups seems to be their unusual staying power.

Although he intends to give up music for painting some day, we can hope that Jimmy

Paige and his music will stand the strains of his mind and times.

Why couldn't the reviewers in the seventies be as understanding as this chap (spelling mistakes aside)?

yep, he definitely has more foresight than rolling stone. Their reviews were ridiculous and then they flip-flopped 30 years later

Oakland (CA) Tribune

5/17/1969

Today's column is an interview-review of "Led Zeppelin's recent concert at Fillmore

West. James Taylor of Alameda caught Jimmy Paige, the group's leader, at

an introspective moment and managed to capture much of the complexity of his personality

and his music.

Recently, Led Zeppelin" appeared in San Francisco displaying the talents of four

young English musicians to a huge, appreciative audience. Offering a sound which crosses

the abstraction of a Jackson Pollach painting with the smooth flow of a sine wave,

Zeppelin's performance gave insight into both the nature of its audience and the

minds of its members. The music is greater than the sum of its parts and thus

only has relevance when considered as an entity. The lyrics, techniques, electronics

and the artistry of the performers enables the listener to immerse himself in the music,

washing out frustrations and cleansing the soul for brief, satisfying moments.

The music, wild and hairy, screams from the light onstage, then tapers to a knife

edge of quiet and explodes again.

Jimmy Paige, lead guitarist, said that sometimes the movement gets so frantic that

they forget the song being played. Prearranged cues enable the group to maintain

control over their rage. Paige's guitar work (which can be found on many important

records by other artists) roams exquisitely along the entire range of hearing.

Robert Plant's vocals function, not to lead, but rather merge as an instrument into

the whole. Drummer John Bonham puts drive into the fluid, velvety smoothness of

John Paul Jones' bass. The result is vascillation between the ecstasy of love and the

chaos of anger.

Paige is, although he chooses not to believe it, the motivating force behind the group. His shy. almost anemic countenance belies the fire in his eyes. Tall, thin, Paige spoke with a voice so inaudible that it is an obvious paradox to his music.

He said the arrangements are his, most of the songs are his and the frustration communicated is truly his.

"I am a mediocre guitarist at best," he said. "There are others so much mere capable than I. No. I really don't like being thought of as a star.

"This movie star thing continued. "I don't feel it is a part of pop."

(An $8 thousand investment by Atlantic records in "Zepplin" reveals the falsity of this feeling.)

Paige lives under the psychological shadow of Eric Clapton. Jeff Beck, Jack

Bruce and other great rock artists. His talent is obviously his pride, yet his shaky ego

tells him that his guitar is worthless. He reeks frustration. Nervous hands grasp at

invisible straws, his eyes duck behind his answers but suddenly from nowhere will come

his bold laugh.

If a question is asked, Paige's answer is usually to avoid the question or to answer

it in the words of others. I asked which is the best group now playing.

Paige: "Well, you're in a better position to answer that."

What would you like people to draw from you in terms of

image, I asked.

Paige: "I wish they wouldn't."

Sensitive to critical disapproval, Paige's shrewdness of defense and humility of person

indicated his belief in his essential inferiority feelings. This contrasted with the image

he develops with his audience makes Paige even more fascinating. The causes of his

desperation may vary but the skinny white "heavy" and his audience communicate. The

joy of release (freedom) thus becomes the pleasure of his music.

If "Led Zepplin" is not what you need, Paige can be found dealing quitar elsewhere.

Once a member of "The Yardbirds," his guitar provided much of the backing tract

for the movie, "Blow Up.",A & M's new Joe Cocker LP; "With A Little Help From My Friends." features Paige's guitar along with Stevie Windwood's organ and is nothing short of great.

Paige doesn't feel capable of discussing society but he had comments on the difference

between England and America. This country could learn a lot from England's

economic downfall, he feels.

"It was the dependence on military-materialism which destroyed England." he said,

"and it will destrov America."

The repression of both left and right in this country frightens him. "Men should allow

each other all the freedom he can within the framework of society."' he said. "America

could save the world but the 'White man's burden' concept is lost in the childishness of

self-interest."

The key to Paige as a man can be found in his answer to a question:

Do you love life? Paige: "I really don't know."

People, however, will have the good fortune of enjoying his music for a long time to

come. The significant fact about English groups seems to be their unusual staying power.

Although he intends to give up music for painting some day, we can hope that Jimmy

Paige and his music will stand the strains of his mind and times.

Archived