Plantations

Walter

1971-09-29

Osaka, Japan

Many Plantations during this gig. Particularly when Bonzo goes missing during the acoustic set.

After GTC:

"Where's Bonzo? Bonzo! Mr Bonham."

"Come on... a round of applause where'd he go?"

*mumbling*

"Mr Bonham!!!!"

"Listen. After three everybody say Mister Bonham." Jimmy laughs.

"1,2,3... MISTER BONHAM!!!!" "For fuck's sake!"

"Mr. Bonham, uhhhhh, what can you say, Mr. Bonham go for bath with, with a Geisha."

"Haha... right on."

"I'm afraid Mister... (where is he?) Where's Bonham?"

Someone else... "He's gone. He just took off."

"Fuck you mate! Where'd he go?"

"Alright then no Mr. Bonham. Mr. Bonham gone...."

*crowd begins clapping* "I know what you mean! So shhh."

Jimmy launches into Tangerine. After the song it's back to finding Bonzo who eventually comes out from wherever he was. I still wonder what he was doing. :whistling:

I also recal this exchange, though I can't remember which show... I want to say 1970.09.04 LA Forum, but could be wrong.. anyways.

Robert Plant (to audience): "You don't know how difficult it is to tune a guitar in front of thousands of screaming people."

Jimmy Page (to Plant): "You don't, either."

This is from Blueberry Hill?

Can anyone confirm what show this plantation is from?

From one of the Earls court shows ( I've got it from a DVD)

(talking about a british manager who says):"... no artists left in the country anymore; He must be dazed and confused!"

Sorry, some of the quotes might not be correct, I haven't seen the DVD for a while, my memory has holes...

That quote was aimed at the UK Government. In particular the then Chancellor of The Exchequer, Denis Healy, Plant was referring to the 90% tax rate on the rich which was forcing them all to be tax exiles.

Can anyone remember which (US presumably) gig it was when the guitar tech (Ray) was adjusting/fixing Jimmy's guitar mid set and it was taking a bit of time.

Plant said " Sorry about Raymond...he's from Scotland.....(pause)... a bit like Alabama" !!

This is from Blueberry Hill?

Can anyone confirm what show this plantation is from?

I can't confirm that, it was a "guess'timation"... I have the boot but its been a while since I gave it a full listen... I'll listen to it tonight just in case no one beats me to the answer.

Some of my favorite Plantations are the ones where Robert laughs at his own jokes. There are many, but one example is at Earl's Court - May 24th during the intro to D&C right after he says "And Jimmy Page was coming out of the closet!". His laugh is priceless. :lol:

Check it out here: Dazed & Confused

There's a plantation from Southampton U, 1973. Before WLL. I'm too lazy to listen to it now and type it all out. Someone else do it please? Anyway, he makes a bathroom joke, talks about grafitti in Bathrooms... too priceless.

I just listened to Southampton '73.., didn't hear any bathroom joke before WLL... so I listened to the beginning and end of each song and still nothing? Did I miss it, or do I have a different version?

OK. Not so tired this morning, so I'll type the whole thing out. This is still part of "Stairway" on the CD:

Plant: "I'll tell you what, hang on...shhhh!"

(singing): "I like storms in my passway"

"OK, this is eh, this one, hang on..." (says something inaudible off mic)

Some guy: "EVERMORE!"

Plant: "We'd very much like to do that but we've lost 3 mandolins."

"And so, instead we'd like to do something that might entice the nine tenths male audience in this hall tonight to get up and be very groovy!" (Laughs off mic)

"Ah, god's truth this is it!" (laughs)

"Very good!" (responding to audience clapping)

"This is for...hang on, who's that geezer who's name is on the bung wall, what's his name?"

"Ah, this for, eh, I went downstairs, eh, we've been here quite a long time actually, as you can tell by our condition..."

"Um and, uh, when I went to the toilet, as, uh...people do..." (audience laughs and claps)

"You thought we didn't, didn't ya?" (laughs)

"And on the wall I saw somebody's name: Alan Whitehead."

"So, for dear Alan, here it is!" (WLL riff starts)

:lol: Priceless!

Edited by kashmiran

"Um and, uh, when I went to the toilet, as, uh...people do..." (audience laughs and claps)

"You thought we didn't, didn't ya?" (laughs)

That was the funniest part! He also seems to mention the word "diarrahea" in alot of the live shows. Poor Bonzo..... :huh:

Yeah. That's probably my all-time favourite Plantation! Here's another favourite of mine (April 27, '77):

(Note: These are just the funny parts, not all of it)

Plant: (Introducing "Over the Top")

"Sweet Baby, always been the real loverboy of the band, John Henry Bonham: OVER THE TOP!!!"

I just edited the funny parts together in one sentence. (Although, now that I think about it, they might be one sentence on the bootleg! I'll look into this)

Basically, only the "Sweet Baby" & "Loverboy" parts are funny. It's not as funny as any of the ones you guys submitted, but still funny in it's own way.

Edited by kashmiran

L.A. 6-21-77:

The man who fought against the elements. The man who fought food poisoning. The man who drinks Heineken. The man who doesn't get out of bed. The man who hasn't got a cymbal. The man who's having a chat with his man who knows the man who tunes Jimmy's guitar, who comes from Scotland, and doesn't know the man they call "Tim." But does know Audrey from Dallas, thank you. :D

The man who now learns how to construct his own drum kit. The man who's not very professional. The Man who said he could go back to a building site any time, and we all agreed. The man who's holding up the show. The rhinestone cowgirl--come on Bonzo, get on with it. (That's what the Quaalude stagger is). The man who played the Los Angeles Aztecs and beat them 10-1 by himself. The man who, one wonders, is he worth waiting for...and doesn't really realize there's a curfew here.

A childhood friend, a man, who many people once said..."never 'eard of him." John Bonham, OVER THE TOP!!!!!

I take what I said about the Southampton Plantation back...THIS is my all-time favourite plantation. I was just listening to this show and heard this again. Too funny. :lol:

Plant just has a way with words... nothing particularly groundbreaking, but christ - that dude knew how to be a frontman. Nothing over-the-top, just, a fucking frontman. No-one better.

I disagree. :huh: Plant's commentary is groundbreaking. Particularly that last one.

Some of my favorite Plantations are the ones where Robert laughs at his own jokes. There are many, but one example is at Earl's Court - May 24th during the intro to D&C right after he says "And Jimmy Page was coming out of the closet!". His laugh is priceless. :lol:

He laughs like a chick in some way, when he leans back from the mike and sounds like he's gasping for air.

His humor is dry, but it's really funny.

He laughs like a chick in some way, when he leans back from the mike and sounds like he's gasping for air.

That's true... he does sound like that at times. It's hard not to laugh at him laughing. :blink: Gotta love it.

That was great Roxie! They were so dynamic together onstage. I wish I could have seen Page's face when he said that - too hilarious!

:lol::lol:

His humor is dry, but it's really funny.

I understand what you're saying, lzfan and, for us (when we were young girls), that was part of the appeal of the Zep guys. Even when Robert was telling us ("the ocean") to "cool it" and "be quiet" he did it like a cool older brother rather than like a parent or teacher.

That's true... he does sound like that at times. It's hard not to laugh at him laughing. :blink: Gotta love it.

We often found ourselves giggling at him laughing - it was infectious. :D

I love the way he laughs though, it's so unique to him. And his smile.

And, those glances:

RPIII.jpg

I understand what you're saying, lzfan and, for us (when we were young girls), that was part of the appeal of the Zep guys. Even when Robert was telling us ("the ocean") to "cool it" and "be quiet" he did it like a cool older brother rather than like a parent or teacher.

We often found ourselves giggling at him laughing - it was infectious. :D

And, those glances:

RPIII.jpg

I think Robert is really cool. No matter his age, he seems like the "cool older brother". He never seems scolding or anything the matter, just wanting a little peace.

And that glance, you're right. *sighs*

I think Robert is really cool. No matter his age, he seems like the "cool older brother". He never seems scolding or anything the matter, just wanting a little peace.

And that glance, you're right. *sighs*

You're right - his age doesn't matter - he still retains that feel of a "cool older brother." "Just wanting a little peace" - I like that because he also always seemed to have this kind of "flower child" vibe to him - I'm not surprised that he and Janis gravitated toward one another.

You're right - his age doesn't matter - he still retains that feel of a "cool older brother." "Just wanting a little peace" - I like that because he also always seemed to have this kind of "flower child" vibe to him - I'm not surprised that he and Janis gravitated toward one another.

:thumbsup:

When I think of later hippies I always think of Robert Plant, even today he still retains that flower child air about him.

I agree, even more since when they met, Zep was just beginning and she took care of him.