Coverdale on Zeppelin reunion

MrZoSo

I would LOVE to see Robert do something new with Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones and Jason Bonham, but what would happen after that? They would be expected to go on a Stones" type "tour of America and elsewhere for all the fairweather fans and corporate B.S types that can afford upwards of two hundred dollars a ticket to listen to all the "greatest hits". Anyone who thinks that isn't true is delusional. That is what big business in America is all about and don't think for a minute that the Led Zeppelin "brand" isn't huge in corporate American entertainment. Let the o2 show be their farewell to the world as Led Zeppelin, and let them live on as the best rock band to ever grace a stage in our lifetime.

I would much prefer the "Led Zeppelin doing NONE of their greatest hits tour". No Black Dog, No WLL, no STH, No Dazed...etc.

I do understand how delusional the above statement sounds but really, it would be amazing just to hear some stuff that hasn't been played a trillion times before.

A native of the North of England, particularly the area around the city of Newcastle.

Typical occupations of the "Geordie" are burglary, petty crime, claiming job seekers allowance and annoying Londoners on their frequent visits to the nations capital.

Easily identifiable by the permed hair, track suit and can of Carlsberg Special Brew held limply in one hand.

Also known as "Stop thief!"

:D

:huh:

PD, I know you're getting on and all, but how can you seriously take Harry Enfield's description of a Liverpudlian and try to pass it off as a typical Geordie?

Francis Dunnery was totally wrong - Coverdale is NOT a Geordie ( NOT a description for a "native of the North of England", this term ONLY applies to those born in Newcastle upon Tyne and, at a push, close surrounding areas - certainly not Middlesborough and Yorkshire!) - he is in fact a Yorkshireman, with the accent of a southern Lord of the Manor.

Dunnery isn't even a Geordie, he's from Cumbria, so I can't imagine what made him use this terminology. Geordies you lot may know include the aforementioned Brian Johnston ( who named his early band after his heritage), Sting, Mark Knopfler and Chas Chandler.

Oh and Steve - I think you will find I've never said Coverdale WASN'T at the O2 - I just don't THINK he was, and questioned your definitive statement. I can find out, will get onto it.

PD, I know you're getting on and all, but how can you seriously take Harry Enfields description of a Liverpudlian and try to pass it off as a typical Geordie?

Frances Dunnery was totally wrong - Coverdale is NOT a Geordie ( NOT a description for a "native of the North of England", this term ONLY applies to those born in Newcastle upon Tyne) - he is in fact a Yorkshireman, with the accent of a southern Lord of the Manor.

Oh and Steve - I think you will find I've never said Coverdale WASN'T at the O2 - I just don't THINK he was. I can find out, will get onto it.

Yes, he is indeed a fellow countyman (I know I'm not a man..but don't like the pc "person"), from Saltburn, North Yorkshire. Not too far from me. Why he should ditch the wonderful Yorkshire accent is beyond me...maybe it was to impress the ladies :rolleyes:

Is that where people sound like they're from Scotland? But they're from England, up north. And if you meet someone with that accent and ask them if they're from Scotland, they get irritated.

:D:D:D

Actually I usually get asked if I'm from Ireland. My accent is nothing at all like that of my Scottish friends.

That's not uncommon Knebby. Anyone from the Borders area can easily be taken for having an Irish accent. My ma has an ring in her voice that often confuses even her fellow Scots. Most people from Galloway have it

:huh:

PD, I know you're getting on and all, but how can you seriously take Harry Enfield's description of a Liverpudlian and try to pass it off as a typical Geordie?

From what I saw the last time I unfortunately found myself in Newcastle you've been using the scousers as a fashion plate. You've got to stop that interbreeding, they'll be filming "Deliverence II The Banjo Years" up there soon. ;)

Actually I usually get asked if I'm from Ireland. My accent is nothing at all like that of my Scottish friends.

Thats cos they are Scottish and you aren't :blink: I would have to be really drunk to confuse you with an Irish woman. Mind you it would depend which Irish woman I was confusing tou with :lol:

Love the thought that DC had a geordie accent.

When you compare his old Yorkshire to the mock LA accents it was quite a transformation.

Appen as like tha knowst babe

Strybjorn would get a Glaswegian kiss if he got the Scots and English mixed up. :D

Francis Dunnery was totally wrong - Coverdale is NOT a Geordie ( NOT a description for a "native of the North of England", this term ONLY applies to those born in Newcastle upon Tyne and, at a push, close surrounding areas - certainly not Middlesborough and Yorkshire!) - he is in fact a Yorkshireman, with the accent of a southern Lord of the Manor.

Dunnery isn't even a Geordie, he's from Cumbria, so I can't imagine what made him use this terminology. Geordies you lot may know include the aforementioned Brian Johnston ( who named his early band after his heritage), Sting, Mark Knopfler and Chas Chandler.

Oh and Steve - I think you will find I've never said Coverdale WASN'T at the O2 - I just don't THINK he was, and questioned your definitive statement. I can find out, will get onto it.

Hello Knebby,

Yes, your recollection is absolutely correct. You never said David wasn't there, you just

didn't think he was at the time I made my original statement in December.

I can't say for certain why Francis Dunnery said he was a Geordie, but from what your saying it would seem he was just taking his joke well over the top for the lovely Pip Dann of MTV Europe who was interviewing him at the time. I can see how Francis may have presumed Coverdale was a Geordie, given that Newcastle isn't too far away from David's hometown. I have this interview on tape so there's no question he said this and it is quite funny the way did.

Cheers,

:)

Edit: "Yorkshire lads shouldn't marry Hollywood movie actresses"

-- David Coverdale on his ex-wife Tawny Kitaen, Los Angeles, February 1993.

I have this interview on tape so there's no question he said this and it is quite funny the way did.

Cheers,

:)

Edit: "Yorkshire lads shouldn't marry Hollywood movie actresses"

-- David Coverdale on his ex-wife Tawny Kitaen, Los Angeles, February 1993.

Oh I'm not doubting you or that he said it. He's a bit of an odd bloke all round in my opinion. Saw him last November supporting Foreigner - I'd say he and the plot took seperate forks in the road some time ago. B)

My mate is a big fan of his, however, and takes part in charity walks and footie matches with him in the Lakes regularly.

My mate is a big fan of his, however, and takes part in charity walks and footie matches with him in the Lakes regularly.

I'm sure your very familiar with Dunnery's 'Fearless' album released in 1994, as he was apparently working on it whilst touring as Robert Plant's guitarist. My question is many

years ago I heard Robert Plant plays harmonica on one track - 'King Of The Blues' -

(if I remember correctly) but Robert is not credited on the album and it isn't mentioned in any of the reviews I've found. Can you (or anyone here) confirm or deny this?

I'm sure your very familiar with Dunnery's 'Fearless' album released in 1994, as he was apparently working on it whilst touring as Robert Plant's guitarist. My question is many

years ago I heard Robert Plant plays harmonica on one track - 'King Of The Blues' -

(if I remember correctly) but Robert is not credited on the album and it isn't mentioned in any of the reviews I've found. Can you (or anyone here) confirm or deny this?

Oooh - Miss Marple is on the case and will get back to you. :D

Oh I'm not doubting you or that he said it. He's a bit of an odd bloke all round in my opinion. Saw him last November supporting Foreigner - I'd say he and the plot took seperate forks in the road some time ago.

i agree. essentially, coverdale is an arse. he's funny in a spinal tap way, with his affected speaking, 'dahling luvee' manner and pretensions to a higher level of repectability than he deserves.

he's the richard madeley of rock. whitesnake had their moment in the early 80's and again in the poodle hair years, but they were never really first division.

in the interview he mentions that he's touring with def leppard. god help us, two of the lamest bands ever, sharing a stage. they deserve each other.

Yes Steve, he did. B)

Archived