Coverdale on Zeppelin reunion

MrZoSo

Yes Steve, he did. B)

Eye Thank You!

Ian Cranna reviewed this album in the March 1995 issue of 'Q' and suggested Robert Plant contributed but there were no specific details. I believe Robert is uncredited on

the cd sleeve so it was questionable until now.

Now, if I could just confirm the date of that particular recording session... :lol:

Thanks again!

in the interview he mentions that he's touring with def leppard. god help us, two of the lamest bands ever, sharing a stage. they deserve each other.

Please note Joe Elliott of Def Leppard is a member of this forum. Username is Styrbjorn.

I didn't know this until I saw the photo on his profile page. It's him, no question about it.

Back to David Coverdale, he and Jimmy arrived in Vancouver in October 1991 to work on their album at Little Mountain Studios. They stayed until late December, at which time

Jimmy flew to Miami to spend the holidays with his family before moving on to NYC for

his induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (as a member of The Yardbirds). Their album recording sessions resumed at Criteria Studios in Miami that Spring.

In the January 1992 issue of Sam Rapallo's Electric Magic fanzine it says that Jimmy rented a home while staying in Vancouver. My question is whereabouts was this home located?

There is a very nice residential area about three blocks away from the studio and a collaborator and I speculate it may possibly have been there. In the course of our research he also found singer Paul Rodgers maintains a home near Vancouver, but it is not known if Paul resided there at the time Jimmy was in town. Jimmy did jam with his old friend Long John Baldry while in town, as Baldry was a resident of Vancouver.

The same collaborator remembers hearing back in 1971 that Zeppelin attended a party up in an area called the British Properties, in West Vancouver. (Led Zeppelin opened their 1971 North American tour in Vancouver on 8/19/71). This is not to be confused with the west side or west end of the city. The props are half way up Grouse Mnt (north of the city) and overlook Vancouver. This is upcale turf and at the time was where John Lennon was rumoured to have purchased a home (never confirmed). Hollywood stars have had a bit of a history in the British Properties. John Wayne, Bing Croby etc stayed up there while fishing in the area. Wayne had a huge boat in Burrard Inlet all the time. The Props are also where actor Errol Flynn passed away.

In the course of of research he also found singer Paul Rodgers maintains a home near Vancouver, but it is not known if he resided there at the time Jimmy was in town.

Paul Rodgers lives in White Rock, a lovely coastal town on the US border, about a 45 minute drive from Vancouver. He wasn't there when Jimmy was in the city.

I'll try to find out some more specifics about the Dunnery session if poss.

I'll try to find out some more specifics about the Dunnery session if poss.

Why thank you very much, Knebby. I've got a number of Robert Plant studio recording sessions, public appearances, video shoots and other general interest stuff pertaining

to his career to resolve but most have not been posted here as I've long since realized too few people would know and those who do probably wouldn't care enough to help.

I sincerely appreciate your continued interest in these matters. I may be an anorak (ok,

I am) but I'll never make the mistake of saying or publishing he sang for "Hobbstweedle". It's all about getting it right and I happen to believe their legacy demands the effort!

Collaboration is the key!

so i know everyone probably knows this but me, but why exactly is robert not wanting to do the tour?? does he not realize how amazing that would be? the chance to get his music out to another generation or two? i love the albums but i would give anything to see them live!

so i know everyone probably knows this but me, but why exactly is robert not wanting to do the tour?? does he not realize how amazing that would be? the chance to get his music out to another generation or two? i love the albums but i would give anything to see them live!

Ask ten people get ten reasons. I don't think there is any one specific reason anymore.

If he wants to do it he will, and if he don't he won't.

I don't hear that at all. I hear DC saying that he loves Jimmy and wants him to be happy and for him being denied that happiness would be a heartbreaking. I am not reading anything further then that.

I will agree with you on this, I don't think Coverdale would want to be compared to Plant, I think he likes being in control, so I don't think he would want to give that up even if means not having mega success in Zeppelin terms. But then what do I know, I am just an old bitch.

Wow again--these are great, especially the first one! I've only ever heard the much later stuff, which I really don't like. Thanks for an eye-opener, kb!

I'm not really surprised Allison - they had no exposure over in the US at all for the first few years, and then he just went for the US hair metal market, jettisoned the fatter older band members and totally re-worked his whole image - and left these early days way behind.

Thankfully he acknowledges it much more these days - which makes their gigs much more fun.

I'm so glad you like it though, I just loved it at the time and it really brings back memories.

I bet you will like this too- it's Coverdale singing a lovely old Deep Purple song, this is how I like him best - and I love his look with short hair!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gyj01YnOQOE...feature=related

I bet you will like this too- it's Coverdale singing a lovely old Deep Purple song, this is how I like him best - and I love his look with short hair!!

I really did like it, thanks kb! It does make his whole CP sound seem all the more unnecessary, alas. And I agree-- the shorter, darker hair looks very good.

I really did like it, thanks kb! It does make his whole CP sound seem all the more unnecessary, alas. And I agree-- the shorter, darker hair looks very good.

You hit the nail right on the head! I think that's partly why I dislike it so much.

Thanks for all your links Knebby, it's great that Allison and others across the pond can see how truly amazing Whitesnake were in the early days. Yes, we can have a little light hearted dig at his arrogant ways and the hair metal 80s days were cringeworthy to say the least, but there is no denying that lying beneath that, DC is one incredible talent...and that great clip of Soldier Of Fortune proves that.

I'm loving the dark-haired look too! :D

For some reason I never got to see Whitesnake, although that will change in July when I'll catch them in Cardiff - trouble is I'll have to sit through Def Leppard too! Does anyone know who's actually playing last? Whilst, as far as I know, it's one of these 'joint-headliner' affairs (however that works), someone has to go on last - or do they alternate?

I'm not really surprised Allison - they had no exposure over in the US at all for the first few years, and then he just went for the US hair metal market, jettisoned the fatter older band members and totally re-worked his whole image - and left these early days way behind.

Thankfully he acknowledges it much more these days - which makes their gigs much more fun.

I'm so glad you like it though, I just loved it at the time and it really brings back memories.

Thankyou it is great to see that, it brings back great memories for me too, I really like some of his work with Deep Purple, he can actually write great songs when he's not going "below the belt" if you get my drift. Thanks for sharing.

For some reason I never got to see Whitesnake, although that will change in July when I'll catch them in Cardiff - trouble is I'll have to sit through Def Leppard too! Does anyone know who's actually playing last? Whilst, as far as I know, it's one of these 'joint-headliner' affairs (however that works), someone has to go on last - or do they alternate?

They may well alternate. Foreigner and Styx did that last year in the US. I am seeing them in Sheffield and I think it's par for the course that Def Leppard will be the headliner there.

It was cool to see some Coverdale interviews (older stuff with Page from '93) and the new stuff regarding the O2 and possible one-offs. Hopefully, Plant will join the 3 Js and record (to make this a LZ album) and tour in '09. If he doesn't do it, maybe Coverdale, Chris Cornell or someone will.

Hi MissHD, I believe Styx and Boston are touring together here in the US.

Re: Def Leppard and Whitesnake, hopefully they will come back to Atlanta at some point. I missed DL when they toured with Journey here a year or so ago. I have a friend in Myrtle Beach, SC that is the biggest Def Lep fan. She's like the little sister I never had (I gave her promo copies CD singles and b-sides from Hysteria "Ride Into the Sun", "Tear it Down" and I Wanna Be Your Hero (all original versions", which unfortunately were all stolen out of her car in the parking lot at one of their shows in Charlotte, NC a couple of years ago) when I worked at a record store back in college 20 years ago.

I just found out they played only a few hours away in Greenville, SC about a month ago (from their website) before the new cd was just released (so i didn't even think to look for tour dates until the release date). I saw Whitesnake with Vivian Campbell in '87 and with Steve Vai in '88 or so in SC. It would be interesting to see David Coverdale join Page, JPJ, Jason and guests if this turns out to be a farewell Page tour.

I've always liked Coverdale's work (especially in Deep Purple and early Whitesnake days). The 80s were an interesting time, so I take it for what it was. It definitely brought hard rock/metal to the mainstream. It's good to see these guys still out there and recording new music. I'm going to buy the new Def Leppard cd (just released) and the Whitesnake one when it comes out in June (I believe).

R B)

• 2 weeks later...

there no doubting the quality of his voice and this turns this into a very moving song. sadly at times he looks like Ken Dodd here. :blink:

It's a load of crap. Why does it not surprise me that THE MIRROR ran this story? Whenever a publication runs the words "Led Zeppelin" in its article, they get picked up on the crawlers for net news updates; obviously the Mirror wants cheap publicity just like all the other rags. I'll believe it when Jimmy or Harv's office releases a statement. So far, no word. <_<

http://www.harveygoldsmith.com/harvey-blogs.php

I read that Mirror story this morning too. I'm still laughing over it. If it had come out after Plant's tour with Alison was over (not when they've just started), then perhaps it would be a bit more credible. But even that's stretching things.

Archived