Coverdale on Zeppelin reunion

MrZoSo

Coverdale? No way, that would be lame and predictable, plus its already been done,

and had a very poor reception about 15 years ago. That would be a 'very' bad move.

Chris Cornell, now there's a guy who could really bring something to the table.

As far as there ever being another "Led Zeppelin" album, I personally hope that never happens, there's just no reason for it.

If Robert decides not to do it, I think Jack White would be a good choice.

This was posted on the Whitesnake website in reference to the Daily Mirror article:

"There is absolutely no truth whatsoever to this statement about Led Zeppelin and David. David has never said such a thing and has no reason to say it. It is at best wishful thinking on the part of a few fans.. and at worse a deliberate attempt to stir up a bit of muck. I would like my mother to get her hands on that irresponsible reporter... he wouldn't be able to sit for a week!!!"

(Poor Albert from the WS BBS)

And so we can put that to rest

Come on, I think people are missing the point

They WILL do it.....

Just stretching the guessing out until the punters are at fever pitch

I bet a US tour and the return to europe which will culminate in two shows at knebworth house on or around August 4 and 11th 2009 , exactly 30 years from the original dates with a big line up supporting

All the signs are there, just wait and see

Really? Which signs would those be? I must have missed them and that's unusual for me.

Having seen other bands do this sort of thing, It's typical kidology of a band that wants to make a comeback... Test the water.. Through some whispers into the arena... keep in the news... basically wait until they are ready but in the meantime dripfeed us with 'rumour's' via third parties, - Even if they are keeping schumm or even denying wanting to be involved ... as I said by next summer there will be some big anniversary type gigs :D

Having seen other bands do this sort of thing, It's typical kidology of a band that wants to make a comeback... Test the water.. Through some whispers into the arena... keep in the news... basically wait until they are ready but in the meantime dripfeed us with 'rumour's' via third parties, - Even if they are keeping schumm or even denying wanting to be involved ... as I said by next summer there will be some big anniversary type gigs :D

I don't doubt they will play together again, if only for a laugh, but I do doubt this talk of a full scale World Tour, which unfortuately we've heard almost annually since July 1985.

I don't doubt they will play together again, if only for a laugh, but I do doubt this talk of a full scale World Tour, which unfortuately we've heard almost annually since July 1985.

Sure, and post Live aid/hall of fame apart we have had this off/on reunion world tour talk for years

The O2 gig changed my perception of the potential for a full blown tour;- The timing is probably as good as your going to get - I harp back to the relevance of the anniversary knebworth gigs; RP is certainly feeling creative with his current project- And the others seem keen as you ( i think) pointed out with a report of a recording / rehersal session excluding RP;

However I personally wouldn't read anything into his absence as quite often a vocalist will be sitting twiddling thumbs on some types of session.

I just have a gut instinct you understand, and although I appreciate you have a wealth of knowledge on the subject - your logic says no , my hunch says yes

I guess I will eat my words at somepoint but I am starting to get a bit excited over the possibility nonetheless

TTFN

The timing is probably as good as your going to get - I harp back to the relevance of the anniversary knebworth gigs; RP is certainly feeling creative with his current project- And the others seem keen as you (i think) pointed out with a report of a recording / rehersal session excluding RP;

Personally, I felt the timing was as good as it would get in January 1991, with the Led Zeppelin Boxed Set enjoying unprecedented sales success and the band enjoying a huge resurgence in popularity. During a band meeting that month, Robert actually said yes to a reunion, and even suggested Michael Bordin as a possible drummer. Unfortunately, he changed his mind that same day. Two months later Jimmy met David in Manhattan and

the rest is history.

The recent studio activity could simply be a case of Jimmy getting a little help from his friends insofar as making his return to the guitar, which he is determined to do.

I remember Hit Parader ran a story in the summer of 86 talking about Led Zeppelin "Born Again". Robert was on the cover of that issue and my excitement was sky high for a reunion. I really hoped it would happen, and was always dissapointed when the rumors were BS. 20 years later I refuse to be fooled by the same rumors and will be happy with a DVD of the o2 show. Hopefully at least that happens.

I remember Hit Parader ran a story in the summer of 86 talking about Led Zeppelin "Born Again". Robert was on the cover of that issue and my excitement was sky high for a reunion. I really hoped it would happen, and was always dissapointed when the rumors were BS.

But at least those rumors were rooted in truth! Led Zeppelin reformed for ten days of rehearsals at Corsham Studios in Wiltshire (eight miles East of Bath) in January 1986.

Tony Thompson sat in on the drums, but after the second day he was injured in a car accident that night. The band met up at their hotel and decided to carry on with drum machines and roadies sitting in on drums. Robert found he quickly lost enthusiasm with this arrangement, and went so far in the press afterward to say he did not have the patience any longer to stand around as Jimmy swapped out effects pedals and so forth.

But at least those rumors were rooted in truth! Led Zeppelin reformed for ten days of rehearsals at Corsham Studios in Wiltshire (eight miles East of Bath) in January 1986.

Tony Thompson sat in on the drums, but after the second day he was injured in a car accident that night. The band met up at their hotel and decided to carry on with drum machines and roadies sitting in on drums. Robert found he quickly lost enthusiasm with this arrangement, and went so far in the press afterward to say he did not have the patience any longer to stand around as Jimmy swapped out effects pedals and so forth.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Jimmy's standoffish attitude towards Robert and JPJ part of the problem at the rehearsals. I remember reading a story (can't remember the source) where Jimmy wouldn't socialize with the others when the days work was done.

Tony Thompson still must be sick over that car accident. What could have been.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Jimmy's standoffish attitude towards Robert and JPJ part of the problem at the rehearsals.

I don't recall anything like that. January can be quite dreary in England - the nights

come early. It hard to socialize in those conditions, especially when your holed up in a hotel on the outskirts of Bath!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Jimmy's standoffish attitude towards Robert and JPJ part of the problem at the rehearsals. I remember reading a story (can't remember the source) where Jimmy wouldn't socialize with the others when the days work was done.

Tony Thompson still must be sick over that car accident. What could have been.

Tony unfortunately passed away in 2003.

Actually I usually get asked if I'm from Ireland. My accent is nothing at all like that of my Scottish friends.

???????

You didn't sound Irish at all to me, Knebby!!

Personally, I felt the timing was as good as it would get in January 1991, with the Led Zeppelin Boxed Set enjoying unprecedented sales success and the band enjoying a huge resurgence in popularity. During a band meeting that month, Robert actually said yes to a reunion, and even suggested Michael Bordin as a possible drummer. Unfortunately, he changed his mind that same day. Two months later Jimmy met David in Manhattan and

the rest is history.

If they were to have anything but a single victory lap they would have had to get on the ball as early as 1988, right after the Atlantic reunion. That's when Zep's style of music was most popular again, with the hair band wannabes. 1991 was the last days of that, right before grunge cleaned the palette. The boxed set, if anything, repositioned Zep more into adult contemporary territory. You started hearing stuff like Over the Hills and Fool in the Rain on milder oldies stations. Really the late 80s were the last time when Zep was still relevant to a youthful crowd.

If they were to have anything but a single victory lap they would have had to get on the ball as early as 1988, right after the Atlantic reunion.

Well, as you know that would have been problematic with Robert in the middle of a year

long tour and Jimmy with his own on the horizon. 1991 and beyond was wide open at

the time of the Jan 1991 meeting. Oh well, obviously much too late now.

Robert does not want to tour, period. It's nice he is open to do a few shows for the right reasons in the future. IMO, I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Robert obviously wants to let the Raising Sand phenomenon play out first but after that I think he will at least regroup with the others and see what the possibilities are. I think he will have the iniative to do this rather than rushing back into the studio with Strange Sensations or T-Bone.

Robert obviously wants to let the Raising Sand phenomenon play out first but after that I think he will at least regroup with the others and see what the possibilities are. I think he will have the iniative to do this rather than rushing back into the studio with Strange Sensations or T-Bone.

I think (and hope) that another Strange Sensation album/tour is on the cards next!

Archived