Coverdale on Zeppelin reunion

MrZoSo

Wow! You're right. Time flies. I was there, and Live-Aid too. The Atlantic 40th was definitely better. I was pretty ecstatic at both of those events, though, just seeing a Zep reunion, even if they were 20 and 30 minutes, respectively. The Atlantic set had its problems but was far superior to the Live-Aid set.

I'd say Atlantic's 40th was the worst broad casted live event ever in Zeppelins history.

I'd say Atlantic's 40th was the worst broadcasted live event ever in Zeppelins history.

The audio mix of Led Zeppelin's set for the live telecast was abominable. I seem to recall the live FM simulcast was much better but it could be just my imagination, unless they did have two separate audio feeds. I'll have to compare them.

The audio mix of Led Zeppelin's set for the live telecast was abominable. I seem to recall the live FM simulcast was much better but it could be just my imagination, unless they did have two separate audio feeds. I'll have to compare them.

I believe Jimmy's screw up on the heartbreaker solo was a disaster. Also Robert missed lines in Kashmir and stepped on Jimmy a few times. It wasn't just the sound, it was the band.

I believe Jimmy's screw up on the heartbreaker solo was a disaster. Also Robert missed lines in Kashmir and stepped on Jimmy a few times. It wasn't just the sound, it was the band.

I think the Heartbreaker solo is a highlight, if only for that look of concern on JPJ's face which gives way to a small grin. It's as if he says to himself, "nice recovery, Jim. Shall we do this gig properly now?" It has always seemed to me it ended just as they were hitting their stride. The rehearsals, by all accounts, were splendid.

Absolutely.Plant's microphone went down for what,20-30 seconds during Kashmir?

"Oh father of the four winds,fill my sails,again."

Plant did keep his cool,even if liberty was taken with "his" lyrics.

Absolutely.Plant's microphone went down for what,20-30 seconds during Kashmir?

"Oh father of the four winds,fill my sails,again."

Plant did keep his cool,even if liberty was taken with "his" lyrics.

Are you saying it was someone elses fault that Plant forgot the lyrics? lol

Wow! You're right. Time flies. I was there, and Live-Aid too. The Atlantic 40th was definitely better. I was pretty ecstatic at both of those events, though, just seeing a Zep reunion, even if they were 20 and 30 minutes, respectively. The Atlantic set had its problems but was far superior to the Live-Aid set.

I was quite amazed that they even attempted Heartbreaker. At the time I thought Jimmy did an acceptable job of the unaccompanied solo, but I had low expectations.

You could barely hear JPJ's keyboard and the drums were all trebly. It was a mess in every possible way. The only value Live Aid and Atlantic has is just the iconic imagery of having them together on stage.

I'd say Atlantic's 40th was the worst broad casted live event ever in Zeppelins history.

It was a far different experience seeing it live. I was there and I have the show on dvd. No it wasn't perfect but you got caught up in the moment of seeing them together on stage. I never saw Zep perform so for me, it was really special. Same with Live Aid.

I had many friends who went that night as you did Nine. They felt the same as you. I had a different vantage point as I could not go, but was able to watch Atlantic's 40th on HBO live. It was IMO, A devastating blow to the image the band commanded, up until that point in its history. Heartbreaker was just that. We have this need as fans to see our heroes succeed time and again, For this night it was not meant to be, for me anyway. Later that year I got to see Jimmy at a half filled Brendan Byrne Arena in NJ. Robert also in the same venue earlier that year. Roberts crowd was larger. Almost sold out with I'd say maybe 500 or so tickets left. SRV opened for Robert, and was shockingly horrible. Way to loud, with almost no emotion. Shocking. Robert was great, and when he preformed Zeppelin songs, the audience leapt to it's feet and danced. It angered me. I couldn't understand, and to this day can't explain it. Jimmy's show, the bottom of the arena was full. The top of the Arena was empty. Mason Ruffner was the open. When the lights went down and you could hear Jimmy's guitar Ring out, the entire crowd pushed forward to the stage. I have been to many concerts in my life, this was one of the most emotional ones I have attended as from crowd reaction. People were climbing on one another to get a better look. Jimmy was brilliant, I obtained many boots from the outrider tour and must say, my hero had returned to form. Jimmy's failure from the Atlantic gig was all but erased in my eyes. Yet all these years later, I still see Atlantic's 40th as his, and the bands worst moment, when the whole world was watching.

Robert was great, and when he preformed Zeppelin songs, the audience leapt to it's feet and danced. It angered me. I couldn't understand, and to this day can't explain it.

Perhaps because it was the first time he performed Zeppelin songs on a solo tour.

I understood why the crowd acted like it did. I can't explain my anger is what I was saying. I think it was because Jimmy was not there, and I felt it was not the same, which it wasn't. Seeing Zeppelin songs done by anyone (including Robert ) just does not sit right with me, if Jimmy is not playing.

It was a far different experience seeing it live. I was there and I have the show on dvd. No it wasn't perfect but you got caught up in the moment of seeing them together on stage. I never saw Zep perform so for me, it was really special. Same with Live Aid.

I agree. In spite of flubbed lyrics and other problems, it was a galvanizing moment to be there in person.

I agree. In spite of flubbed lyrics and other problems, it was a galvanizing moment to be there in person.

I was very grateful just to see the members of Zeppelin back on stage even if the performances weren't top shelf. I thought Live Aid was shambolic but passable. Atlantic's 40th was only marginally better. In both cases they ideally should have done a string of warm-up shows beforehand closed from the media. They would have seen the two drummer thing would never have worked for Live Aid.

I have to agree. It was a time when we were so starved for Zeppelin. Mediocre perfomances, out of tune guitars, croaky voicebox and Phil Collins notwithstanding, it was such a rush to see them. It's Led Fucking Zeppelin, man! I was so excited. Nothing else mattered. And if the audio is less than perfect, that's fine. I have plenty of killer live Zep. It's the feeling of seeing them onstage that will define those shows, not the stumbles. :beer:

I have to agree. It was a time when we were so starved for Zeppelin. Mediocre perfomances, out of tune guitars, croaky voicebox and Phil Collins notwithstanding, it was such a rush to see them. It's Led Fucking Zeppelin, man! I was so excited. Nothing else mattered. And if the audio is less than perfect, that's fine. I have plenty of killer live Zep. It's the feeling of seeing them onstage that will define those shows, not the stumbles. :beer:

Absolutely. There are no words to adequately describe what I was feeling at Live Aid when they walked on stage. I had tears in my eyes and I think I lost my voice from screaming with such delight. In addition to the beauty of the concert itself, the fact was I never thought I'd see them on stage together (I saw Robert solo the following week for the first time and Jimmy jammed with him on stage. Talk about a week :D ).

I can understand getting caught up in the excitement of a live show. Like I said, different vantage point. See for me, it wasn't Led Zeppelin. It didn't look like Led Zeppelin (confident), and it certainly didn't sound like Led Zeppelin. Live Aid was not as as bad as Atlantic's 40th, from a performance standpoint, but the outcome was the same. Disappointment. This time around, We had a matured Jason, and a band that was rehearsed, and ready at the 02...This was Led Fucking Zeppelin.

I bet the band themselves would agree.

I'm not much for reunions of old bands, but of course, it is a chance for a younger generation (like myself) to get a chance to see at least some of the magic from those classic live performaces in the days. Now, when Plant is done with Krauss it would be great to see a tour and some new material of Zep.

As for David Coverdale, I think when he's done touring with he's latest hair edition of Whitesnake, he should join these lads for a world tour (and maybe a new album):

Live Aid was bad all around. I think the sound on TV was worse for the 88 reunion. But I've read people talking about it that were actually there and they've basically said it was better live. Even with the sound issues that was a good performance. Kashmir was really the only one that sounded absolutely terrible because of the sound. You could listen to the rest of the set without cringing as much.

The worst Zepp reunion was the HOF one. But WTLB was awesome with Mr. Young

Live Aid was bad all around. I think the sound on TV was worse for the 88 reunion. But I've read people talking about it that were actually there and they've basically said it was better live. Even with the sound issues that was a good performance. Kashmir was really the only one that sounded absolutely terrible because of the sound. You could listen to the rest of the set without cringing as much.

The worst Zepp reunion was the HOF one. But WTLB was awesome with Mr. Young

Have a look at JPJ face during the heartbreaker solo. His smile at the end of Jimmy coming out of the flubbing was from a panicked relief of the shock he was in when Jimmy couldn't rip the solo. It was a disaster.

Hi, all. I have been a big Zeppelin fans for only a few years, as they completly changed, or rather fixed, my taste in music. Today they are still one of my all time favorites, unfortunatly I wasn't even born when you had a decent chance to get tickets and would have done what it took to get tickets fold London, but didn't have the money. So I wonder what the chances for a reunion tour, hopefully going world wide since I live in Sweden.

Archived