Led Zeppelin and Beatles Songs

MightyZep

That's a Motown song by Barret Strong. It was the first Motown record to chart. Since JPJ & Bonzo were big Motown fans, I doubt the Beatles had anything to do with it. The Beatles released a cover of it on "With the Beatles", thus the confusion.

Wait, wasn't Money written by John Lee Hooker, way before Motown existed?

Could be wrong on this.

Wait, wasn't Money written by John Lee Hooker, way before Motown existed?

Could be wrong on this.

http://www.history-of-rock.com/motown_recordstwo.htm

Gordy initially recorded R&B artists on Tamla Records. He signed Mabel John, the gospel trained sister of blues singer Little Willie John. Gordy scored a minor hit with Tamla's first release, R&B singer Marv Johnson's "Come To Me." As the record picked up steam Gordy found he could not keep up with the demands of national production and distribution and leased the master to United Artists. Later in the first year of operation he co-wrote and produced "Money," which was recorded by Barrett Strong. Not yet equipped to break a national hit "Money" was released by Anna Records which was owned by his sister Gwen and her husband Harvey Fuqua. "Money" eventually reached the number two spot on the R&B Chart. In November 1959, Gordy recorded "Bad Girl" by a young William "Smokey" Robinson and the Miracles that reached number ninety-three on the pop charts with the help of national distribution by Chess Records.

Smokey Robinson convinced Gordy that Motown should distribute its own records. In 1960, Gordy co-wrote and distributed "Shop Around" by Smokey Robinson and the Miracles, which was a number one hit and established Motown as an important independent company.

John Lee Hooker's version came out in 1960, so it must be a cover.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Lee_Hooker

He worked in factories in various cities during World War II, drifting until he found himself in Detroit in 1948 working at Ford Motor Company. He felt right at home near the blues venues and saloons on Hastings Street, the heart of black entertainment on Detroit's east side. In a city noted for its piano players, guitar players were scarce. Performing in Detroit clubs, his popularity grew quickly, and seeking a louder instrument than his crude acoustic guitar, he bought his first electric guitar.

But as usual, it's not that simple.......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Money_%28That..._What_I_Want%29

"I Need Some Money"

"I Need Some Money," a song John Lee Hooker may have been performing live for some time previous to 1959, has lyrics that are more than coincidentally similar to "Money (That's What I Want)". For example, even though the music is different, the first verses are:

"The best thing in life is free

But you can give it to the birds an' bees

I need some money, Need some money. Oh yeah, what I want"

versus:

"The best things in life are free

But you can keep 'em for the birds and bees

Now give me money, (that's what I want) that's what I want."

The question of which lyrics came first never seems to have been settled in any formal way; John Lee Hooker has full composition credits for this song, and it has been independently covered by other artists such as James Blood Ulmer and The Doors.

It was later covered in 2007 by hit girl band The Something Elses

Where did you hear that? I knew about George Harrison's connection. Never a Zeppelin connection. I never read a Zeppelin connection in any Python material, so where did you?

ps- and don't quote me anything from the internet- the world's most reliable news source for fact and information.

Led Zeppelin and Pink floyd both helped fund Monty Python and The Holy Grail, I don't think they had anything to do with Life Of Brian or The Meaning of Life but I could be wrong.

Go to around the 4.50 mark in this clip from a documentary on the film:

Paul McCartney referenced Jimmy Page in the song Rock Show "Who's that moving on the stage...A relic from a different age...looks just like Jimmy Page" something like that.

"What's that man movin' cross the stage...It looks a lot like the one used by Jimmy Page...It's like a relic from a different age...could be...oooo eee"

Led Zeppelin and Pink floyd both helped fund Monty Python and The Holy Grail, I don't think they had anything to do with Life Of Brian or The Meaning of Life but I could be wrong.

Yes, both bands, along with other people, funded the production of Holy Grail.

By the time Life Of Brian came along, they actually originally had studio funding, but the studio pulled out of the project and Harrison said "I couldn't bare to see it not made" so he formed Handmade Films Company to produce, even took out an equity loan on his Henly-on-Thames house to help fund it, and that's how the movie got made.

Handmade Films went on to produce other films such as the BAFTA-winning Michael Caine, Bob Hoskins film Mona Lisa, the cult crime film Long Good Friday, Time Bandits, the infamous Shanghai Surprise with Madonna and Sean Penn, Terry Gilliam's famous flop The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Withnail and I, and the huge box-office hit Nuns On The Run.

Archived