Recommend a Cheap Used Car

Big Klu

I think my lovely Batmobile has finally given up the ghost....

Picture006.jpg

Yar, I be on the lookout for something in the 7-8k range type thing. I was maybe thinking of a Honda Civic, and I've heard good things about Saturn Ions. Toyotas seem iffy. And America...I laugh at your Ford Focusususes.

If your range is 7-8K I would opt for a Honda Accord rather than the Civic. I bought a 1990 Accord with less than 40k miles on it five years ago for $3,000 (although that was about 2k below blue book at the time for the low miles). But I've put 120K miles on the thing and never needed anything but tires and brakes. Look for a private seller with good maintenance records. Even if you pay a little more than a civic I don't think you can go wrong... but the civic is a good car too.

Btw, my wife commutes in a 2005 Accord with the 4 banger. I think it has 160 HP which is fine even with four passengers and stuff in the trunk. If you are mostly driving by yourself you won't even need a V6 in my opinion.

The only Ford I drive is my F-150 (Nascar and NRA stickers in the rear window of course) ;)

But did you get the joke?

I don't think I've ever ridden in an Escalade.

I've been on plenty of escalators though. I don't think I'd want to go down in an Escalade though.

Snerks all around. :D

If you do go down in a Emasculade make sure it's tight yo...22's, a bumpin' deck, and some illegal window tint no no one sees what 's really goin' on.....

You know what i'm sayin'? B)

If your range is 7-8K I would opt for a Honda Accord rather than the Civic. I bought a 1990 Accord with less than 40k miles on it five years ago for $3,000 (although that was about 2k below blue book at the time for the low miles). But I've put 120K miles on the thing and never needed anything but tires and brakes. Look for a private seller with good maintenance records. Even if you pay a little more than a civic I don't think you can go wrong... but the civic is a good car too.

Btw, my wife commutes in a 2005 Accord with the 4 banger. I think it has 160 HP which is fine even with four passengers and stuff in the trunk. If you are mostly driving by yourself you won't even need a V6 in my opinion.

The only Ford I drive is my F-150 (Nascar and NRA stickers in the rear window of course) ;)

I was going to reccomend an Accord, too. I knew that Del would say that he thinks an Accord would be the best car for your money.

I bought a 1997 Accord in 2005, and I still have it. I bought it for $5995, and it's book value is about $5000 now. The only thing I've had to do to that car other than get a flat tire fixed is change the oil and put gas in it. Seriously. I love it.

I orginally set out for a Civic, but the Accord is THE BEST car I've ever owned.

I had a Toyota Corolla (1979... from 1996-2000), :lol: and it was also a very good car. I know that Toyotas have good repuations, too, but I haven't had a "new" one...so my opinion on that one is a little un-founded.

My car mechanic said that Nissans are quite pricey when it's time for repairs, and I agree because I had one (for 11 months )--a 1996 Sentra--that needed crap done to it on a monthly basis, I swear.

I'd stick with the Hondas if you can. It's worth the wait to get a good one.

The only car I'd ever want to trade my Accord in for is 1. another one exactly like it that had a spoiler and a sunroof, 2. a brand-new version, 3. possibly another Accord with a V6 in it, or 4. an Acura. :lol:

I'm sold on Hondas--so is my best friend, who's had nothing but Accords in her lifetime: a 1988 Accord, a 1996 Accord and a 2003 Accord.

edited to add:

I bought my Accord with 90,000 miles on it. It has about 120,000 now. It's been a VERY good car, and I have the 4 banger. The power in my 4 banger is about the same as the power in Dave's V8 Thunderbird--but his power is reduced because his car needs a TON of work. BTW--in comparison, his Tbird is a 96 and has like 30K less miles on it than my car, but my car is in much, much better condition, and Dave's a mechanic! ;)

I keep trying to talk myself into buying a newer, shinier car, but there's no reason when the one I have runs wonderfully, it looks great, and it's paid off!

• 2 months later...

I'll sell you my '78 Malibu for $800. It runs great, has a clean body, but most likely you'd have to hook up the catalytic converter that I took off since we don't have to smog our vehicles out this way.

B)

I think my lovely Batmobile has finally given up the ghost....

Yar, I be on the lookout for something in the 7-8k range type thing. I was maybe thinking of a Honda Civic, and I've heard good things about Saturn Ions. Toyotas seem iffy. And America...I laugh at your Ford Focusususes.

Hondas are nice I have a crv and a nissan altima also nice.

Now with that said. As a Professional Automotive and Diesel Technician with 25+ years experience this would be my opinion based on what you were driving, you need a mid sized sedan that you won't have a lot of maintenance on.

I would go with the Toyota Camry. When you do need repairs the Hondas and the nissans parts are considerably higher. I had a Toyota van but sold it only because we don't need 3 vehicles and the insurance down here is rediculous otherwise I would have kept it as well. Note if you do get a vehicle with more than 70,000 mi on it make sure the timing belt has been changed or get it changed before you purchase it. Should be about $300-$500 to have this performed by a certified Technician depending on the model of vehicle you choose. If your belt goes so will your valves then you can add $3k-$5k or more to the price tag.

http://www.edmunds.com/used/2001/toyota/ca...Action=vdpprice

I have a 95 saturn w/140,000+ miles...a little four door with a four cylinder engine. You see alot of those original models still around, so i guess it was a fairly well made car. You cant really be looking for how a car looks though... its kind of aerodynamic insect like.

I have a 95 saturn w/140,000+ miles...a little four door with a four cylinder engine. You see alot of those original models still around, so i guess it was a fairly well made car. You cant really be looking for how a car looks though... its kind of aerodynamic insect like.

Wow, still going, eh? Ever have to replace those ridiculously expensive shifter cables yet?

I worked for a Saturn dealer in Florida. We used to go through those things like Pringles. At $228 a pop. (back in 2002)

Wow, still going, eh? Ever have to replace those ridiculously expensive shifter cables yet?

I worked for a Saturn dealer in Florida. We used to go through those things like Pringles. At $228 a pop. (back in 2002)

Yeah it runs good, i just change the oil every 3,000mi and the brakes every few years. If i get on it, on deceleration it will stall every once in awhile. I'm told the throttle body is probably gummed up and needs to be cleaned, running cleaner with the gas wont work.

Those shifter cables break because people are in a rush and not stopping fully before shifting. Thats an issue with that car, you hear a pang noise, just have to make sure you stop fully in reverse before going to drive.

Archived