The Yardbirds name

MHD

The thing to remember about Box of Frogs is although it did feature three of the original Yardbird members in the core lineup, it also featured vocalist John Fiddler, who was not

previously associated with The Yardbirds. This band was put together to perform new

music as opposed to playing the classics.

Jimmy did not contribute to their eponymous album released in 1984, he contributed to

their follow-up album Stangeland released in 1986.

Was not aware they did two records. I did purchase the one with Jimmy on it, unawares that had been one before. So should it be taken then that they could not use the Yardbirds name because of the legal issues that were unresolved??? I would assume the urge by Dreja, Samwell-Smith and McCarty would be to use the name, as they've gone ahead and used it on tours (a different legal area since they were not publishing anything under that name).

Was not aware they did two records. I did purchase the one with Jimmy on it, unawares that had been one before. So should it be taken then that they could not use the Yardbirds name because of the legal issues that were unresolved??? I would assume the urge by Dreja, Samwell-Smith and McCarty would be to use the name, as they've gone ahead and used it on tours (a different legal area since they were not publishing anything under that name).

They did not use The Yardbirds name at that time because that band was not intended to be a Yardbirds lineup. They brought in vocalist John Fiddler for the purpose of writing

and recording new material.

They have used The Yardbirds name for touring purposes since that time, and those

tours have predominantly featured Yardbirds material.

When Page & Plant toured Australia in 1996, The Yardbirds shadowed their tour playing at smaller venues in the same cities. Interesting time.

Meg

Actually Meg, A full Yardbirds reunion is something that I would love to see. Picking a new vocalist would not be nearly as much of challenge as finding a replacement for Plant. Might actually be a more realistic. Just a thought

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

WTF no such thing exists. Were you drinking something reeeeally good? :D

Hmm, when I wrote that post or when I heard it? Coulda been either, and the guy who had it has always been a mysterious character in psych circles. :)

It wasn't Jake Holmes, not that I remember.... but it was a long time ago. Might have been Tim Rose ... whom Bonham was playing with when he was recruited by Page. Just prior to Jake Holmes recording his version of Dazed, Holmes had been in Tim Rose & the Black Thorns when Rose was in NY, an interesting connection to say the least.

But it was probably the Holmes version, though it doesn't make sense to me that he was the only guy on the psychedelic blues-folk scene doing some version of that song. His copyright of that song is real enough but his rights to it have always seemed a little questionable in light of his decades of inaction.

EDIT: It was the Jake Holmes version, which was included on the "James Patrick Page - Sessions Man, Vol. 1" compilation, which a subsidiary of Bomp! released in 1989 and we had managed to get our mitts on. It was quite a mystery to us back then, and, well, I'm sure we probably were pretty bent at the time.

Archived