The Neville Brothers Prevail As Live Legends

Jahfin

neville_brothers_02l.gif

Billboard asked the Neville Brothers and their colleagues to pick their favorite Neville Brothers song and what makes it special. Click here to check out their responses.

Kim Ruehl

Since their debut in 1977 at New Orleans club Tipitina's, the Neville Brothers have been known as one of the best live bands in the country. For years, they shared a booking agent with the Grateful Dead, the Rolling Stones, Janis Joplin, Booker T & the MG's and other legendary live acts. And their stage supremacy isn't slowing down, with dates booked at North American venues and festivals throughout the summer.

Tipitina's talent buyer Bill Taylor calls them "one of the greatest live bands of all time. That's not an exaggeration. Those guys grew up jamming. They used to play... these all-night shows that were just big jam sessions."

To read the rest of the article click here.

As I've probably mentioned countless times before, this is my favorite Nevilles album even though I'm not so fond of some of the Aaron tunes. I've picked up several of their other record over the years but none of them seem to live up to this album other than the ones that came before such as the real early stuff as well as ones by the Meters and the Wild Tchoupitoulas.

51Q7569TSDL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

As I've probably mentioned countless times before, this is my favorite Nevilles album even though I'm not so fond of some of the Aaron tunes. I've picked up several of their other record over the years but none of them seem to live up to this album other than the ones that came before such as the real early stuff as well as ones by the Meters and the Wild Tchoupitoulas.

51Q7569TSDL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Agree with you on this. They're an amazing band. Have seen them live a few times both as the Nevilles and The Wild Tchoupitoulas in a small club. Amazing shows.

I think this 1989 Daniel Lanois production is superb.

71a5d250fca0a6400c3c9010.L.jpg

I saw them in 1988 at the Belly Up in Solana Beach California. Pumpin' band!

Yeah thats a good record, called -yellow moon i think. this record and -brothers keeper were consecutive albums i think...some really good music.

Thanks for the recommendations on Yellow Moon, I've heard some of it but wasn't blown away. I'm not above giving it a second chance though.

Unfortunately, I've only seen them once (Woodstock '94). I'd love nothing more than to see them on their home turf someday. My girlfriend and I had planned a trip to New Orleans then Katrina happened.

Archived