Greatest Single Famous Guitar Of All Time

Badgeholder:

You have a strong contender, here. Back in December 1995, Guitarist Magazine (UK) featured this guitar in an article. Although arguably not as famous as his white Strat, this was the last guitar Hendrix played, the night before his death. It appears that Monica Dannemann, his girlfriend at the time, spirited the instrument away and stored the guitar in a bank vault. Then, after 25 years, she allowed the aforementioned magazine to view (but not handle, or play) it. The guitar still had the original strings and it was still with the suede strap in the original Fender case: it even had Jimi's fingerprints on it! One curious feature was the five springs in place on the tremelo block.

At the time, it was estimated to be worth (at least) £500,000 (£692,825 - $1,374,838 US at today's prices). The value, of course, would have increased over the last 13 years. The thing is, Dannemann says she will never sell it.

RB

Badgeholder:

You have a strong contender, here. Back in December 1995, Guitarist Magazine (UK) featured this guitar in an article. Although arguably not as famous as his white Strat, this was the last guitar Hendrix played, the night before his death. It appears that Monica Dannemann, his girlfriend at the time, spirited the instrument away and stored the guitar in a bank vault. Then, after 25 years, she allowed the aforementioned magazine to view (but not handle, or play) it. The guitar still had the original strings and it was still with the suede strap in the original Fender case: it even had Jimi's fingerprints on it! One curious feature was the five springs in place on the tremelo block.

At the time, it was estimated to be worth (at least) £500,000 (£692,825 - $1,374,838 US at today's prices). The value, of course, would have increased over the last 13 years. The thing is, Dannemann says she will never sell it.

RB

Monica Danneman comitted suicide a few years back, the current wherabouts of this guitar is somewhat of a mystery. I don't know who has it or where it is. It should be in the museum in Seattle, next to Jimi's favorite hat. And YEAH-great pic of the Bo Diddley axe man!!

Monica Danneman comitted suicide a few years back, the current wherabouts of this guitar is somewhat of a mystery. I don't know who has it or where it is. It should be in the museum...

I had no idea of her death in April 1996, which appears to be only a few months after she gave the interview. She did express a desire to see the guitar in a museum, where all could view it. So, the guitar has disappeared? I've not followed the history of this instrument, but it is claimed the guitar is stored at an undisclosed location. It remains the only guitar to still be set-up the way Hendrix preferred, Mitch Mitchell having had the "Woodstock" Stratocaster set-up "correctly".

RB

Archived