Greatest Single Famous Guitar Of All Time

Referring to BB King's Lucille: which one? There are several guitars that have gone under that name: for example, ES 335's, and the current ES 355.

To quote the man himself,

"I've had many guitars...and I always call them Lucille".

RB

Referring to BB King's Lucille: which one? There are several guitars that have gone under that name: for example, ES 335's, and the current ES 355.

To quote the man himself,

"I've had many guitars...and I always call them Lucille".

RB

Either or. His Lucille guitars are all pretty famous are they not?

That guitar wasn't burnt, he just played it so much that the finish was worn off. He traded another Strat for that one in like 1976 at Ray Hening's Heart Of Texas music store in either Dallas or Austin can't remember which. It did not previous belong to Hendrix.

If you say Trigger, they'll think you're talking about the Lone Ranger. If you talk about Eddie Van Halen's Frankenstein, a lot of people won't know what you're talking about. But I have yet to find a person who when you say "Lucille," they won't say B.B. King. That guitar is that iconic. Never has one guitar been so closely associated with one artist. Stevie had other guitars he played in addition to Number One. Jimmy Page had other Les Pauls. B.B. King uses only one. He might had a few different Lucille's throughout his 60 or so year career (think he's had like 17 Lucille's) but that's always been that guitar. It's pretty hard to argue with that.

I have to agree, without even thinking about it that's the first thing that poped into my mind.

Either or. His Lucille guitars are all pretty famous are they not?

He's famous for playing certain Gibson models, but as the subject of this topic is the Greatest Single Guitar Of All Time, I don't think a myriad of Lucilles qualify. Others may think differently.

RB

I do, because the general public doesn't think of it as different models, but as one guitar. The 335 that they make a signature edition of:

ARLCEBGH1.JPG

The Single Most Famous Guitar Of All Time

Clearly different people have different ideas about what "single" means.

I don't count "Lucille" as one guitar - BB's had lots - but Alvin Lee's 335 was a single instrument.

Hendrix played mostly Strats - but they were virtually interchangeable to him. Not a "single instrument" to me. SRVs #1, on the other hand is a single strat. As is Dave Gilmour's black strat, or Rory Galagher's mutt.

My pick would be Jimmy's EDS1275. Show anyone, anywhere, a picture of a double neck & the first thing they'll say is almost certain to be "Jimmy Page". Now that's a famous guitar...

There are lots of famous guitars I'll just throw some out there to start it off...

Jimmy Page's Gibson EDS 1275 Double Neck, Les Paul, and Psycadelic Telecaster

Stevie Ray Vaughan's #1 and Lenny

David Gilmore's Black Straocaster

Jimi Hendrix's White Woodstock Strat and The Psycadelic Strat he smashed at Montery

Eric Clapton's Psycadelic Gibson SG and Blackie

Willie Nelson's Trigger (This one is my pick for the best)

Randy Rhode's Karl Sandoval Polka Dot Flying V '

Kurt Cobain's Mustang

Great... you said list a "single" greatest guitar....

And then you list many guitars.....

What did you really want....

anything and everything so it seems !!!

Here's my entry:

robert_johnson.gif

The Great Robert Johnson

Clearly different people have different ideas about what "single" means.

I don't count "Lucille" as one guitar - BB's had lots - but Alvin Lee's 335 was a single instrument.

Hendrix played mostly Strats - but they were virtually interchangeable to him. Not a "single instrument" to me. SRVs #1, on the other hand is a single strat. As is Dave Gilmour's black strat, or Rory Galagher's mutt.

My pick would be Jimmy's EDS1275. Show anyone, anywhere, a picture of a double neck & the first thing they'll say is almost certain to be "Jimmy Page". Now that's a famous guitar...

I agree with huw. In order to be considered "single" most famous guitar, that guitar has to be somewhat unique (Eddie's Frankenstrat) and have survived throughout the history of the guitarist. A perfect example of the latter is Brian May's guitar.

So while many great guitarists have played Strats, in general they didn't play the same one throughout their career. Same with Angus and the SG's. He has a lot of them. Same with BB King and Lucille.

So, in my mind it is Jimmy's doubleneck. It is unique enough because double necks are not as popular as single necks. And although it is not as unique as the heart shaped triple, or the 5 neck the guy in Cheap Trick plays, Jimmy and Led Zeppelin have penetrated the overall market moreso than those two. Lastly, he has

had for most of his career. And although he has more than 1, they all look the same. So, in summary, the uniqueness, overall market penetration, and consistency make that the single most famous guitar.

If you say Trigger, they'll think you're talking about the Lone Ranger. If you talk about Eddie Van Halen's Frankenstein, a lot of people won't know what you're talking about. But I have yet to find a person who when you say "Lucille," they won't say B.B. King. That guitar is that iconic. Never has one guitar been so closely associated with one artist. Stevie had other guitars he played in addition to Number One. Jimmy Page had other Les Pauls. B.B. King uses only one. He might had a few different Lucille's throughout his 60 or so year career (think he's had like 17 Lucille's) but that's always been that guitar. It's pretty hard to argue with that.

I have to respectfully disagree, at least among guitarists. These are all legendary guitars. Which is the most known depends on who you talk to. Head to the southeast and Duane Allman's Les Paul is king among many.

That said, I think you'll have to ask Gibson's Custom Shop how many Lucilles (or Lucy's) they've sold against Page's Number One. If you ask a metal bassist, he might say Steve Harris' blue P-Bass. Or a jazz bassist might go for Jaco's Jazz Bass.

It depends on your generation and your influences. Personally, I'd be hard pressed to decide between Trigger and Page's Number One LP.

But let's face it, no single instrument has defined hard rock imagery more than dragon-suited Page with a sunburst Les Paul. Truly iconic. Just my opinion, but hey, I'm not posting on a Van Halen site am I? :lol:

Okay, then if we're going to go with just one single guitar, SRV's Number One is my choice, just because it is a guitar that is truly identifiable with one guitar player. The beat up look, the initials on the pickguard, the Custom sticker by the bridge. Very few guitars are so immediately identifiable. That was the guitar he played most of the time. People will talk about Lenny, but Lenny was only played on two songs for the most part. The actual song, Lenny, and Riviera Paradise. It was not used that much.

395px-srv2.jpg

Plus, EVERYBODY since Stevie has tried to adopt the beat-up Strat look.

Kenny Wayne Shepherd

Kenny-Wayne-Shepherd-w01.jpg

Chris Duarte

Chris_Duarte.jpg

Doyle Bramhall II

18_G.sized.jpg

John Mayer

JohnMayerCrossroads2007.jpg

Of course, that might have something to do with being very influenced by SRV, which all of these guys, if you asked them who influenced their playing, SRV would definitely be at the top. As we all know, Stevie had a very aggressive playing style, so it would make sense for their guitars to look that way too.

Of course, that might have something to do with being very influenced by SRV, which all of these guys, if you asked them who influenced their playing, SRV would definitely be at the top. As we all know, Stevie had a very aggressive playing style, so it would make sense for their guitars to look that way too.

Absolutely! Ask a Deadhead and you'll get this: :beer:

jd6436.jpg

I concur! Followed by Eddie's. I think that if you asked someone off the street, they would probably recognise these, especially Angus', his SG has become an icon of rock. To someone who doesn't know better, the Les Pauls would just all look the same!

And the SGs don't? Afterall, to someone "in the know", they only made Sunburst Les Paul's for 2 1/2 years. Just a handful. A few hundred. They made SGs for a decade (assuming we're talking vintage and not replicas).

Hell, I'd be hard pressed to spot the year of Angus' SG (a '61? a '68? Hell, I don't know! :lol: )

Certainly Eddie's Frankenstein would be the most recognizable. Jimmy and Angus' guitars kept a relatively stock apprearance. Same goes for Jimmy's doubleneck and Danelectro. In fact, the only guitars of Jimmy's to make you take a doubletake were his modded and painted Teles. As for Angus' SG becoming an "icon of rock", I humbly submit two names (okay three). Eric Clapton, Tony Iommi and yes, Duane Allman. Oh and Gary Rossington for that matter. Guess it just depends on when (and where) you grew up.

Please don't be angry with me for disagreeing with you Gibson Girl, I'm not out to shoot you down. Just adding to the discussion. Hell, how could I be at odds with someone with your screen name? :D

My dream guitar arsenal would be:

Fender

'57 Telecaster Cream

Gibson

'59 Les Paul Sunburst

Dove Acoustic

Martin

D28 Dreadnaught Acoustic

I've written to Santa every year, maybe this Christmas... sigh....

No offense taken Ev :console: , I see where your coming from.

I never thought about the SG being generic, because Angus is the only player I know to regluarly use one. Kids I know would look at it and say "oh yeah, the guy from AC/DC plays that". If you showed them a LP or a strat, they probably couldn't work out a single individual who has used that model. Madonna even played an LP for goodness sakes. I suppose that where I come from, it makes sense for people to only be familiar with Angus and his SG, he's like rock royalty :lol:.

At least we agree on the frankenstrat :thumbsup:

Thanks for being so nice. I've been butting heads with "people" all night and day. It's refreshing when someone takes your point to heart and gives it due consideration, even if they disagree on some points. But discussion is healthy right? That's why we're here afterall. People can come from two different perspectives and respect where the other is coming from. I think I come from an older generation where SGs were very common. So maybe the icon of the SG doesn't resonate with me as it may for someone younger than my (almost) 42 years. But that's why we're here, right? To share our perspectives and maybe, just maybe turn each other on to a corner of things we'd not noticed before.

Cheers, Gibson Girl! Couldn't imagine a better handle! Don't know what time it is your way, but have yourself a damn good day (or evening)!

Archived