Greatest Single Famous Guitar Of All Time

Hi all,

A civil discussion,...where am I? :blink::D

Well,there are many musicians here who know alot better than I about the most single famous gee-tar,....

Would that be a Les Paul,gosh darn it,those folks at Gibson named a gee-tar after him,...

Mary Ford :bagoverhead:

Of course that's not forgetting that the original 1961 SG shape was called a Les Paul by Gibson, without the knowledge of Les himself. He was not too impressed of this radical re-design of his guitar, and asked for his moniker to be removed from this instrument. Gibson complied with this request, but due to a surfeit of spare parts, continued to use his name on these guitars until 1963.

RB

...when your bass is known as That Beatle Bass instead of the Hofner super6000blarghasmotron (or whatever the official name is)....thats a pretty famous guitar.

Not that famous, but I dig EVH's originality

guitar-destroyer.jpg

Because it was built from different parts. And it looks like hell. And back when I was an idiot, I though all the striping was different guitar bodies spliced together. I know, I know. Basically, it's a mongrel.

Okay, then if we're going to go with just one single guitar, SRV's Number One is my choice, just because it is a guitar that is truly identifiable with one guitar player. The beat up look, the initials on the pickguard, the Custom sticker by the bridge. Very few guitars are so immediately identifiable. That was the guitar he played most of the time. People will talk about Lenny, but Lenny was only played on two songs for the most part. The actual song, Lenny, and Riviera Paradise. It was not used that much.

395px-srv2.jpg

Plus, EVERYBODY since Stevie has tried to adopt the beat-up Strat look.

Of course, that might have something to do with being very influenced by SRV, which all of these guys, if you asked them who influenced their playing, SRV would definitely be at the top. As we all know, Stevie had a very aggressive playing style, so it would make sense for their guitars to look that way too.

Rory Gallagher's famed strat already looked even more worn than Stevie's as the latter was learning his first chords. Rory got it new in 1961, but he played it relentlessly. The paint peeled off because of his sweat and his very unusual blood type - he didn't do anything to make it look worn. His Telecaster on the other hand never looked as battered, but that's because it was repaired and then repainted - and of course, he didn't play it as much.

Rory was also a fabulous player, and a much better blues player than SRV in my humble opinion. That slick sound SRV had just isn't bluesy to me at all. B)

That's your opinion, but in my opinion, Stevie was as hard core blues as it could get. When you have folks like Albert King proclaiming him his godson, and B.B. King just gushing all over him, and Albert Collins, and Eric Clapton, and John Lee Hooker ("He's one of the greatest blues musicians that ever picked up a guitar."). A lot of these guys anointed him the great one, and I have to agree wit them. They ARE blues, they know blues, and if they say he's a terrific blues player, I'll just have to side with them. I love Rory, great blues player. But he will never be near Stevie in my humble opinion. Don't mistake smoothness for not being blues. If that were the case, the great T-Bone Walker would not be considered a blues player, and he's the smoothest guy I've ever heard in my life.

Again, my humble opinion.

he didn't do anything to make it look worn.

Neither did Stevie. In fact, you can see the look of it change by looking at it in 1983 during the El Mocambo video, and in 1989 during Austin City Limits. Instead of just looking worn, by 1989 there was actually a huge gouge right above the pickguard that was caused due to Stevie's heavy strumming. It's white colored, and is a very different from the rest of the guitar.

Robert Johnsons guitar might not be that reconizable to most peole but there are only like 2 pictures of Robert Johnson period and in one he is holding this guitar that started it all. Its like the Indiana Jones movie the Last Crusade where at the end, the one guy pics the awesome shinny grail, that is gold and every thing, but it is the wrong one and he melts. Indy pics the ratty , worn out grail and it turns out to be the Holy Grail. Robert Johnson's guitar might not stand out the most or be as flashy, but in its old worn out condidtion, it is probably the most legendary guitar. Sorry if youve never seen the Indiana Jones movie you probably think im crazy.

Robert Johnson's guitar might not stand out the most or be as flashy, but in its old worn out condidtion, it is probably the most legendary guitar.

How many legends around of that there geetar?

For example, Peter Greens discombobulatedly-pickup LP is more legendary than RJ's due to people halfass guessing if its really that simple to get that out-of phase tone. I dont know anyone who cares what guitar RJ used....unless it turns out it was a super-awesome rare Martin or Epiphone.

Because it was used by one of the best acoustic Delta blues players of all-time. If you took Robert Johnson out of the picture, there is no Clapton, there is no Peter Green, there is no Jimmy Page. Robert had a lot to do in defining the blues as we know it, if for no other reason than he was a huge influence to almost all those guys. I don't even know if that guitar is around, but if it was, it would be one of the most expensive guitars ever. So, does it matter. Hell yes.

Because it was used by one of the best acoustic Delta blues players of all-time. If you took Robert Johnson out of the picture, there is no Clapton, there is no Peter Green, there is no Jimmy Page. Robert had a lot to do in defining the blues as we know it, if for no other reason than he was a huge influence to almost all those guys. I don't even know if that guitar is around, but if it was, it would be one of the most expensive guitars ever. So, does it matter. Hell yes.

leg·en·dar·y Audio Help (lěj'ən-děr'ē) Pronunciation Key

adj.

1. Of, constituting, based on, or of the nature of a legend.

1. Celebrated in legend.

2. Extremely well known; famous or renowned.

Where have you ever heard anyone give a shit about what guitar RJ used? oohhh, what tone RJ had! Wonder what strings he used!! Mic placement!!

....umm...nope, none of that.

People dig the guy, not his gear....ergo his gear is not legendary.

BTW, I happen to think RJ's direct influence is hugely overrated....people tend to name drop him cause of his almost mythical vibe, but the 60's British guys jacked way more from the 3 Kings, Guitar Murphy, B Guy, Sumlin and those kind of guys than RJ.

Why so hostile? I know a lot of blues fans that would love to have had that guitar. That is a huge piece of history right there.

I don't care if you give a shit or not, there are a lot of blues fans who do. It's especially appealing when there are only two photographs and a birth and death certificate left of this man. If you don't like it, I'm sorry.

209511551_541c8abe7a.jpg

In the acoustic music world, this is guitar needs no further explanation and is quite likely THE most famous dreadnought-style in the world. It is a pre-war Martin D-28 presently owned by the great Tony Rice. Its previous owner was Tony's Hero, the late, great Clarence White, who went to rock-star fame with The Byrds but never abandoned his bluegrass roots.

Now that Alison Krauss is working with Robert Plant, no doubt more people will probe deeply into her background and roots. In so doing, one will readily discover the impact Tony made on her musical coming-of-age. In fact, the last time I saw her was this time last year when she went on tour with him using her fame to showcase his greatness (REF: CLICK HERE )---payback for the days when she was an upcoming teen prodigy and he was featuring her as special guest at his gigs...gigs I cherish fond memories of attending.

Why so hostile? I know a lot of blues fans that would love to have had that guitar. That is a huge piece of history right there.

I don't care if you give a shit or not, there are a lot of blues fans who do. It's especially appealing when there are only two photographs and a birth and death certificate left of this man. If you don't like it, I'm sorry.

My problem is with your logic, not your intent.

Again....how is the guitar itself legendary?

Hell, its not even famous, or particularly notable. Typical blues fans would know and associate with Lonnie Macks and Albert Kings Vee's way more than RJ's guitar. Hell, I dont even know what guitar he used. Martin, Gibson......misc dept store guitar?

It's a famous guitar because it was in both of the only photos of him that exist. There was recently a big broohaha that someone had found it and was going to sell it. It turned out to be false. But the blues forum I was at was clamoring and all excited. And for the record, it's a Kalamazoo, back in the day they were made by Gibson.

Again, you can fault my logic all you want, but to blues fans, that guitar is a very famous guitar, for that reason: it was in both photos that exist. It's a big deal.

Again, if you don't like my opinion, that's your problem. I'm still going to have it.

Dude, what is with this faux-persecution angle.... no one has ever disagreed with you? I'm almost expecting the "its a free country, are you against freedom?" card next. :blink:

My bad...i guess?

Really I was hoping you've give something to at least backup your assertion that the guitar itself is famous. I think the 'fake guitar' story is indicative of the fact the guitar was on nobody's radar before the story surfaced....and that potentially being the only physical link with RJ was the only reason people would begin to care about it.

That's a good enough reason. There is nothing left of this man besides two photos and a death certificate. To find his guitar would be huge. That thing would sell for enormous amounts of money, because that guitar was used by someone who on side influenced so much of American music, and on another is someone that we know very little about. That would be the musical equivalent of finding actual writings by Jesus Christ.

How many legends around of that there geetar?

For example, Peter Greens discombobulatedly-pickup LP is more legendary than RJ's due to people halfass guessing if its really that simple to get that out-of phase tone. I dont know anyone who cares what guitar RJ used....unless it turns out it was a super-awesome rare Martin or Epiphone.

Robert Johnson himself is a legend. He virtually invented everything that goes along with the blues and rock and roll. His guitar was as basic as it could get and he did so much with it. That guitar is a symbol of everything the blues and rock and roll came from. Like i said before its not crazy like EVH's Frankestien, it doesnt shine like Jimmy's Les Pauls, it doesnt have a name unlike BB's Lucille, it is just a guitar. It represents all the used, hand-me-down acoustics in the hands of beginning guitarists all across the world wanting to unlock the secret of music and see how far it can take them. I doesnt matter to me what type of guitar it was, it only matter that he played it and started this whole crazy trip. This is just my opinion though.

Archived