Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
TelecasterShaggy

Greatest Single Famous Guitar Of All Time

Again, it's all interpretation. Typically, there isn't a famous guitar without a famous guitar player.

but there is a famous player without a famous guitar.

Steve Vai's various signature guitars, they either have a handle,crazy paintjob, or 7 strings :)

uvmc_90.jpg

Randy Rhoads Jackson Flying V's

JacksonRR1USARandyRhoads-FerrariRed.jpg

Jaco Pastorius' Fender Jazz Bass

jaco.jpg

And my own strat, its not famous but i love it to death.

7ender2.jpg

Whilst there are numerous contenders for the title "Most Famous Guitar Of All Time", one of the oddities must be Eric Clapton's 1964 Cherry Red Gibson ES335. Although used for over 30 years of his career, it became known as the 'Cream" guitar: solely due to its appearance in the farewell concert footage from 1968.

This guitar sold at auction in 2004 for $847,500 to raise funds for the Crossroads Centre. However, there is virtually no evidence that this guitar was used during Cream's existence, only being wheeled-out for the last Royal Albert Hall gigs! In other words, this guitar took on iconic status from only one gig.

RB

Yeah, Clapton used a Cherry Red Gibson SG Standard on almost every live and studio song when he was with Cream. I'm not sure if it was the same guitar or he had several of them, however. He was introduced to the Stratocaster very close to the end of his days with Cream. If it was indeed, just one SG that he had when he was with Cream, rather than multiple ones, that's the guitar I would want.

Clapton initially used a 1959 Les Paul Standard at the start of Cream, but moved to a 1964 SG after this guitar was stolen. It was subsequently painted by Dutch design collective The Fool. It was this guitar that features on Wheels Of Fire (live set), which is often mistaken for the classic Les Paul and Marshall sound. Around mid 1968, Clapton preferred a Firebird I and the aforementioned ES335. It is the Firebird that features on the live tracks from the Goodbye album.

The SG is currently owned by Todd Rundgren.

RB

Edited by Humbucker

Ace Frehley´s smoking guitar :)

smoker__77l.jpg

Ace´s Washburn

Ace008.jpg

Jimmy´s Telecaster in psychedelic colours

rosepalace69-a_0.jpg

Jimmy with his Fender

yowwza1-1.jpg

Banner.jpg

Jimi Hendrix's black strat. His number one guitar from 68 -70. "Machine Gun" was played on this guitar. It would easily go for over a million at auction. This is the one, the Holy Grail. To ME, anyway

Also - didn't see anyone mention Bo Diddleys cigar-box thing, that's another classic.

Badgeholder:

You have a strong contender, here. Back in December 1995, Guitarist Magazine (UK) featured this guitar in an article. Although arguably not as famous as his white Strat, this was the last guitar Hendrix played, the night before his death. It appears that Monica Dannemann, his girlfriend at the time, spirited the instrument away and stored the guitar in a bank vault. Then, after 25 years, she allowed the aforementioned magazine to view (but not handle, or play) it. The guitar still had the original strings and it was still with the suede strap in the original Fender case: it even had Jimi's fingerprints on it! One curious feature was the five springs in place on the tremelo block.

At the time, it was estimated to be worth (at least) £500,000 (£692,825 - $1,374,838 US at today's prices). The value, of course, would have increased over the last 13 years. The thing is, Dannemann says she will never sell it.

RB

Badgeholder:

You have a strong contender, here. Back in December 1995, Guitarist Magazine (UK) featured this guitar in an article. Although arguably not as famous as his white Strat, this was the last guitar Hendrix played, the night before his death. It appears that Monica Dannemann, his girlfriend at the time, spirited the instrument away and stored the guitar in a bank vault. Then, after 25 years, she allowed the aforementioned magazine to view (but not handle, or play) it. The guitar still had the original strings and it was still with the suede strap in the original Fender case: it even had Jimi's fingerprints on it! One curious feature was the five springs in place on the tremelo block.

At the time, it was estimated to be worth (at least) £500,000 (£692,825 - $1,374,838 US at today's prices). The value, of course, would have increased over the last 13 years. The thing is, Dannemann says she will never sell it.

RB

Monica Danneman comitted suicide a few years back, the current wherabouts of this guitar is somewhat of a mystery. I don't know who has it or where it is. It should be in the museum in Seattle, next to Jimi's favorite hat. And YEAH-great pic of the Bo Diddley axe man!!

Monica Danneman comitted suicide a few years back, the current wherabouts of this guitar is somewhat of a mystery. I don't know who has it or where it is. It should be in the museum...

I had no idea of her death in April 1996, which appears to be only a few months after she gave the interview. She did express a desire to see the guitar in a museum, where all could view it. So, the guitar has disappeared? I've not followed the history of this instrument, but it is claimed the guitar is stored at an undisclosed location. It remains the only guitar to still be set-up the way Hendrix preferred, Mitch Mitchell having had the "Woodstock" Stratocaster set-up "correctly".

RB