Wilco Breathe New Life Into Show

Jahfin

By DARRYL STERDAN - Sun Media

wilco.jpg

The Sky Blue Sky's hardly the limit for Wilco these days.

Unlike bands whose live set begins and ends with their latest album and greatest hits, the veteran alt-roots sextet find themselves in a more flexible and impressive position on their latest tour: They stand ready, willing and able to play virtually any of the 100-plus songs in their catalog.

It's the happy result of a multi-night residency the band recently undertook in their home town of Chicago, bassist John Stirratt explains.

"Over five nights, we played every song we ever recorded," says Stirratt from his new home in the Windy City.

"It really breathed new life into things. We played a lot of songs that we might have only played once or twice before. This lineup of the band got to make every era of Wilco its own in certain ways. And it's helped the live thing continue to grow and be enjoyable."

To read the remainder of the article click here.

Wilco, what a great freakin' band. Too bad they aren't coming to Denver, I'm too busy to drive to CO Springs to catch their upcoming show. I've been out of the Wilco loop lately, are they playing any new material these days. Last I heard rumor was they had enough material in the can for another album.

Wilco, what a great freakin' band. Too bad they aren't coming to Denver, I'm too busy to drive to CO Springs to catch their upcoming show. I've been out of the Wilco loop lately, are they playing any new material these days. Last I heard rumor was they had enough material in the can for another album.

Not to be rude but I'm guessing you didn't take the time to read the article before replying since they address the recording of the new record there.

I haven't seen them in a while myself but just purchased tix for their show in Cary, NC this summer. As for any new material they may be playing, I have no idea but you can check setlists here.

Oh I read the entire article but all they mention is getting ready to record new material. Both Jeff and John eluded to having completed tracks ready for release from the SBS sessions shorty after SBS was released. It was never revealed if all that was completed was the few b-sides that came out on the SBS but the news at one time was that the followup to SBS could be released shortly after the release of SBS. Of course it didn't happen. But yeah I read the entire article and makes no mention of the already recorded material and John contradicts what he had said previously by stating they haven't started recording yet. Like I said the word was they had an entire album of stuff ready to go at the time of SBS's release.

Oh I read the entire article but all they mention is getting ready to record new material. Both Jeff and John eluded to having completed tracks ready for release from the SBS sessions shorty after SBS was released. It was never revealed if all that was completed was the few b-sides that came out on the SBS but the news at one time was that the followup to SBS could be released shortly after the release of SBS. Of course it didn't happen. But yeah I read the entire article and makes no mention of the already recorded material and John contradicts what he had said previously by stating they haven't started recording yet. Like I said the word was they had an entire album of stuff ready to go at the time of SBS's release.

Thanks for clarifying, I got the impression that you hadn't read the article at all since they mention the recording of the new record in there. I'm a fan but don't follow Wilco's every move so I'm totally unaware of any new material they might have in the can.

Yeah same here. Was a time when I lived and breathed Wilco but I don't have that kind of enthusiasm for any band these days, but Wilco was the last band I had that kind of passion for. I used to post at Via Chicago but I really don't have time to hang at forums either, I just popped in here to post my .02 about the O2 DVD bootlegs and figured I check out the other bands area. It may be time to head over to VC and brush up on the news, though last time I was there I quickly tired of sifting through all the garbage looking for valid news. I liked SBS so much it may be worth it, I am looking forward to hearing what they do next.

Archived