How much they're worth

I'm calling bull here....isn't Page the executive producer on all their albums? That should mean he makes the most. I think he doesn't want the government to know what he's really worth since of all the lame tax laws in the UK.

As we have discussed, it's not known how this list was compiled but most likely is based upon public information - shares, real estate etc. It is likely that all of the people on the list are worth much more.

The point is that while Page was producer (not Exec-producer, that was Peter Grant) that does not mean he automatically got paid more. It is, in fact, my understanding that everything the band ever earned was split 5 ways (the band + Grant). So Page may not have received more for producing.

Wow, where to begin. First of all, charity is something people need to engage in irrespective of their station in life because we are called to love one another and to love our neighbor even as we love ourself. Having said that, remember that while there is no doubt these wealthy musicians can give a lot more money to good causes than most of us can, they are also taxed at an enormously high rate. I live in America so I am not that familiar with the tax system in England, but, from what I understand, it is not particularly favorable to capital formation which means the marginal rates are pretty high and I'm sure progressive (i.e., the more you make the higher the rate you will pay).

Isn't this why the bands from the 60's, and 70's, (Stones/Beatles/Zeppelin) had "tax holidays"? So the Queen didn't confiscate 100% of their income for the year?

Bottom line is the wealthy already give away a significant percentage of their income to the government via income, property and other forms of taxation. Even middle class taxpayers in America are paying almost 50% of their income to the tax man. Hmm...tax man, wasn't there a song about that?

very nicely put :D

I have to explain this to alot of people. say A-Rod makes 20 million a year. he probably only see's 8 of it. now that's more money to good old Uncle Sam then everyone on this board combined will give in a life time. and that's just one year!

he will have to pay outragous taxes for the rest of his life.... by the time he is dead he will have given the country over 200 million dollars....god forbid any of us were in his position. we would be crying rape!

First off, it was a joke. Maybe in poor taste, but none the same. Sorry no smile emoticon attached.

Secondly, Page's heroin problem was many years ago. I believe he's over that now.

Who knows, with the world financial situation, maybe Robert had better investment advisors.

yeah, and knowing old lead wallet he probably never paid for it... (and if he did he was getting it wholesale) maybe his sources either died or just ran out on him causing him to either chalk up the norm or quit!

all in all I admire him so much. how anyone with the money he has could ever quit Heroin is amazing! I have never seen a sucessful person in my world stop until he was tapped out. and I mean tapped out! EVERYTHING!

I'm not 100% sure about this, but I believe that lyrics are 'worth' more than music composition when it comes to songwriting royalties.

Robert sold his Royalties share of Led Zeppelins music many moons ago.

Never heard that before. Source?

Ditto!

No, I really don't have a source. I don't know what level of source you would need, as it is something you would have trouble finding with a Google search.

Best I can come up with would be Old buckeye.com

Linkage

Plant sold his rights to the Led Zeppelin material in the early

1980's, although he still maintains 1/3 creative control, but he

doesn't get any royalties from the sales of Led Zeppelin albums,

hence his comment when being interviewed by Letterman about

Zeppelin being more rewarding for Jimmy these days. Robert has

used this control to veto the 20th anniversary single of

"Stairway to Heaven" and the use of any Zeppelin material in the

film "Dazed and Confused."

I believe it was 83 when Robert sold his royalties to Atlantic, which wound up in the hands of Jimmy.

It's a long story with a bunch of inconsistencies. Their is a rumor that Robert would knock down any new Zeppelin release do to the fact that he wasn't going to profit from it. Jimmy had an arrangement made to make Robert happy, and for the fans to get silly compilations released, and things of that nature.

No, I really don't have a source. I don't know what level of source you would need, as it is something you would have trouble finding with a Google search.

Best I can come up with would be Old buckeye.com

Linkage

I believe it was 83 when Robert sold his royalties to Atlantic, which wound up in the hands of Jimmy.

It's a long story with a bunch of inconsistencies. Their is a rumor that Robert would knock down any new Zeppelin release do to the fact that he wasn't going to profit from it. Jimmy had an arrangement made to make Robert happy, and for the fans to get silly compilations released, and things of that nature.

Hmm I wonder why he would sell his royalties share though - it's not as if he would have needed the money right?

I don't see RP using a veto on the grounds that he wasn't going to profit, and if he did it would be stupid as he was the one who chose to sell his royalties in the first place.

I'm going to put this one up in the SAJ thread.

Hmm I wonder why he would sell his royalties share though - it's not as if he would have needed the money right?

I don't see RP using a veto on the grounds that he wasn't going to profit, and if he did it would be stupid as he was the one who chose to sell his royalties in the first place.

I'm going to put this one up in the SAJ thread.

I am not sure why he did it. It has been said Robert wanted to put Led Zeppelin in his past, for good. This was a way of doing so. Whether it is true or not, is a different subject. I agree it's best to throw it at Steve, and see what he comes up with. Maybe Knebby would have an answer also.

Archived