What's the Last Concert You Attended?

Jahfin

Went to see Gallagher in Dallas in '95. I took an umbrella that I had cut a couple of eyeball shaped holes and glued see-thru plastic over. At the end of the show, he came running down the aisle with a fire hose and took aim at me and my son's mama.

I saw Gallagher II (his brother) once who did Gallagher's act down to a t. He walked in with a long PVC pipe he was using to squirt everybody. No one was safe, he made it clear that everybody was going to get something on them before it was all over with (and he did). I believe Gallagher has since put a stop to his brother's act. Even though it wasn't the real Gallagher, everyone still had a great time. I was so convinced it really was Gallagher that I went home and check on the innerwebz to find out for sure. That night, Gallagher was performing at Irvine Meadows in California so it definitely wasn't him.

Over the weekend I saw Possum Jenkins, Kim Richey w/Mando Saenz and Whitey Morgan & the 78s.

It wasn't my last concert but I went to see Van Halen on their 1984 tour. I was but 19 at the time and I was helping these younger dudes with their band. One day they just popped over my apartment and asked if I was too busy to go see VH. Of course I was not. Suffice it to say we got buzzed on the way there, and as one of the guys and myself made our way towards the stage (festival seating) to check out the opening act, Autograph (don't ask), my buddy puked his guts out. When the opener was over and the lights came back on, there was me and my buddy in the midst of a large clearing in the crowd and a puddle of vomit. Ahh...them were the days.

Well, the last concert I attended was on the 26th of February this year where a band going by the name "Midnight Youth" were playing. It was a free concert for 1st year students at the University of Auckland but hell, I had to attend just out of curiousity! LOL! :lol: It was pretty fun! :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoZ7zyhgrR4&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntZfh5GqbkM&feature=player_embedded

Edited by Kiwi_Zep_Fan87

• 2 weeks later...

Two Cow Garage w/ The T's and Dave Hause (of The Loved Ones) at King's Barcade in Raleigh last night. Saturday night I caught a bit of The Thermals at King's. Friday was The American Beauty Project at Page Auditorium at Duke followed by Sorry About Dresden w/ Today the Moon, Tomorrow the Sun at the newly opened Motorco in Durham.

• 2 weeks later...

Last concert was Robert Plant last; prior to that I saw Dutch prog-rockers 'Focus' in Cardiff two weeks ago. It's the first time I'd ever seen them and they blew me away - fantastic musicians and a great set. Thijs van Leer and drummer Pierre van der Linden are from the celebrated 70's line-up and the current guitarist & bass guitarist are worthy replacements. I can't wait to see them again.

I haven't been to a concert in quite a while, so I'm a bit fuzzy on what the last one I went to was, but the next show I really want to go to is Great Big Sea at HoB!

I remember hearing their cover of R.E.M.'s "It's The End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)" on a Detroit, MI radio station (The River?) eons ago but I can't say I was ever all that fond of it. What's their other stuff like?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OENjixZd_Oo

I saw Robert in Dallas back in July which was very good. PM me for an upload of that show. I will get to see the Eagles again tomorrow night in Lubbock. I understand that Don Henley won't be playing drums due to a stint put in. I saw the Eagles back in Dallas in June and he did play the drums.

Gentleman Jesse & His Men w/Last Year's Men and the Barreracudas at King's Barcade in Raleigh last night. Missed Last Year's Men but have seen them before. They're all just teenagers but they know their way around a good garage/punk rock song. Unfortunately there wasn't much of a crowd so it'll be a wonder if Gentleman Jesse ever ventures up this way from Atlanta again. Be sure to see them if you ever get a chance, especially if you're a fan of high energy power pop.

I remember hearing their cover of R.E.M.'s "It's The End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)" on a Detroit, MI radio station (The River?) eons ago but I can't say I was ever all that fond of it. What's their other stuff like?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OENjixZd_Oo

Well, they're from Newfoundland, so they have kind of a Celtic twist, but they draw more from traditional Newfie music than straight-out Irish music like the Dropkick Murphys or Flogging Molly do. Also, they're not a punk band, so it's not quite as RAWR! as DKM, either. Their older albums have more traditional songs, and their newer ones have more original ones and are a little poppier. ...Yeah, I'd definitely say they've done a lot better than a cover of "End of the World."

Also, sorry for posting this in the Last Concert You Attended thread...I kind of forgot about the Next Concert one.

Edited by Footsteps of Dawn

I saw Acoustic Ladyland in Bristol on Friday night[Nov 12].A superb set of what has been described as 'punk funk jazz'.Not really an adequate description but covers the general approach-intense and dynamic-tight but loose,if you will!!.Not so sure about the 'funk' element ,although there are tunes that develop into pulverising grooves.'Jazz' is easier-all formally-trained musicians from various music colleges ,playing with an utter lack of coolness or detachment.Sweaty,fierce and despite my rambling,very hard to accurately pin down.Wonderful music.

Saw The Cult Friday night (12 Nov 2010) in Atlanta.

Great show, but I was super-impressed by their opening band The Black Ryder

The band consisted of three guys and two girls.

They played about 6 or 7 songs, and every one of them were genuinely awesome.

They had a heavy Tool vibe, and at times had a brutal groove that sounded somewhere between middle-eastern and some kind of cajun/swamp blues.

I was completely blown away, as I was hardly expecting the opening band to even be noticeable, much less really, really good.

I would definitely go see them if they were playing anywhere near.

They played REALLY well live.

Unless I'm mistaken, it appeared the guitarist was using a loop station to create multiple tracks on the spot, which was pretty awesome and lent to the depth of their overall sound - very full.

The drummer was very good, and at times had a bit of a When The Levee Breaks type of vibe, which, in my opinion, is not a bad vibe to have.

If you hear of them playing in your area, you won't be disappointed by seeing them.

That is, if you like fairly heavy stuff with a lot of groove.

This is the bluesy track I was referring to.

It was a lot longer live.

The sound quality isn't spectacular on this, but it's not bad.

• 1 month later...

It's kinda a year in review for me, but it's the first time I've really been able to go and see concerts.

-July: Fang Island, The Black Keys and The Flaming Lips @ CMAC

-November: John McLaughlin and the 4th Dimension @ Keswick Theatre in Glenside, PA

-December: The Waiting Room (A Peter Gabriel era, Genesis tribute band) @ Waterstreet Music Hall

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from seeing Lyle Lovett and John Hiatt at the Beacon Theatre. An incredible show! Just the two of them and their guitars...they alternated songs. Only a few times did they sing together, but they chatted a lot between songs...both have that offbeat sense of humor. A really entertaining evening. I highly recommend it if they come through your town!!

And, the Beacon has become my favorite theatre in the world!! Been walking by it for several years, but this is the first time I've been inside. I really wish I was seeing Robert Plant there next weekend...