What's the Last Concert You Attended?

Jahfin

The Mars Volta are crazy awesome. And I do mean 'crazy'. They have such an impulsive live sound, and often launch themselves into improvisational jam-outs that blow you away. If you haven't seen it yet

I am going to see them live for the first time ever here in Sydney on June 19th!

I love their music and uniqueness from their studio works, so I am pretty excited to go to their concert! :yay: I really can't wait...

As I have already said it before, there's only one word that to me describes their music INTENSE. Love it!

• 2 weeks later...
Linkin Park at the O2 in London....great concert, I must be the oldest mosher in the country.

i took my dad to a linkin park show in march of this year, and he honestly said the same thing,that he felt like the oldest mosher in the whole place. but i thought it was cool cause he loves classic rock,he being the one who introduced me to zeppelin.....etc.

and he likes linkin park now because he says they are talented musicians.

so i think that is cool that i like his fav. band and he likes mine.

I went to see Bruce Springsteen at Old Trafford on Wednesday, i'm not a big fan of his but my mate is and he (Bruce) is a legend after all. It wasn't a bad show by any stretch, he certainly plays to the crowd and his following love it!! It was just a shame that the Manchester weather didn't cease to amaze me. Pissing down!!!! My next concert is John Fogerty on June 22nd.

I went to see Bruce Springsteen at Old Trafford on Wednesday, i'm not a big fan of his but my mate is and he (Bruce) is a legend after all. It wasn't a bad show by any stretch, he certainly plays to the crowd and his following love it!! It was just a shame that the Manchester weather didn't cease to amaze me. Pissing down!!!! My next concert is John Fogerty on June 22nd.

I would have loved to have gone to that Moffo.

Last show was STP on May 26. enjoyed the show....however I'm such a huge velvet revolver fan that it disappoints me that scott is not with the better band. VR was so much more than stp will ever be...IMO.

In a way it's sort of like Robert. could be with a much bigger and better, but chooses not to. The only difference is that Robert is with a new band to do new things while scott went back to the old crew.

Either way the next show is Robert and Alison Wednesday night June 4 at Mohegan Sun. Can't wait to see Robert. It'll be my sixteenth time. Two solo tours, 11 P&P, the buddy love show and then the reunion...side note that I've seen six or seven shows since the reunion and nothing will ever compare.

Kenny Roby and the Mercy Filter

Friday, May 30th

The Cave

Chapel Hill

Patty Hurst Shifter

Saturday, May 31st

Sadlack's Heroes

Raleigh

Monty Warren and the Friggin' Whatevers

(CD Release Party for Trailer Park Angel)

w/ The Sugar

and Special Guests:

Caitlin Cary (Tres Chicas/Whiskeytown)

Rick Richards (Georgia Satellites)

Terry Anderson and the Olympic Ass Kickin' Team

Slick Judge Vic

Saturday, May 31st

Pour House Music Hall

Raleigh

Well, I saw Eric Clapton last night at Jones Beach, in NY. Not only was he terrific, but the whole band was, too. Keyboards really kicked, solid bass player, but the biggest suprise was the second guitar player - who I was not aware of before. I think alot of the audience, which was very mixed in age, were suprised to see another guitar player taking the leads, and seemed perplexed over this. I've never seen such a reserved crowd - the only two people that stood up were young teens right in front of me. Their dad looked around and told them to sit, which they reluctantly did. I tapped him on shoulder and said they have evry right to stand and dance if they like - as long as I could here the music, that's all I cared about. But soon I overheard people behind me saying the kids were assholes. There was some better reaction at the end, when he played the usual hits. I really enjoyed "Motherless Children", "Don't Knock my Love", and when Robert Randolf joined them. The police situation was severe - one guy minding his own business and not even drinking got taken away in cuffs for lighting a joint in the parking lot. A couple of snouts came sniffing around us, but we were forwarned, and extremely careful. $40 souvenier shirts and no alcohol sold or allowed in or outside of the stadium was the only damper for me.

Well, I saw Eric Clapton last night at Jones Beach, in NY. Not only was he terrific, but the whole band was, too. Keyboards really kicked, solid bass player, but the biggest suprise was the second guitar player - who I was not aware of before. I think alot of the audience, which was very mixed in age, were suprised to see another guitar player taking the leads, and seemed perplexed over this. I've never seen such a reserved crowd - the only two people that stood up were young teens right in front of me. Their dad looked around and told them to sit, which they reluctantly did. I tapped him on shoulder and said they have evry right to stand and dance if they like - as long as I could here the music, that's all I cared about. But soon I overheard people behind me saying the kids were assholes. There was some better reaction at the end, when he played the usual hits. I really enjoyed "Motherless Children", "Don't Knock my Love", and when Robert Randolf joined them. The police situation was severe - one guy minding his own business and not even drinking got taken away in cuffs for lighting a joint in the parking lot. A couple of snouts came sniffing around us, but we were forwarned, and extremely careful. $40 souvenier shirts and no alcohol sold or allowed in or outside of the stadium was the only damper for me.

Was the second guitarist by any chance Doyle Bramhall II? If so, you may remember him from the Arc Angels that also included Charlie Sexton and SRV's Double Trouble: Tommy Shannon and Chris Layton. There's also a nice feature on Doyle in the very excellent documentary Before the Music Dies, a must-see especially if you haven't seen it yet.

T-shirts at the recent Van Halen show ranged from $35 - 55. I didn't even bother with the beer as I'm sure it was probably around $10 a cup. Fuck that, I'd rather just go without.

Eric doesn't seem to do much band member introductions, which is fine by me - but my friend said he recognized the guy. I think he said Doyle. Either way, the guy smoked. There was a big screen there, and every time they showed him there was a murmur from the crowd. I don't know if they were suprised how well he played, like me - or annoyed that someone other than Clapton was given leads at a show where the tickets were $100. This is a rare case where I'd say it was worth it.

I don't give a rat's ass about shirts, but thought a momento for my wife would be nice (she was supposed to go, originally). My friend said wait til we went outside, the shirts would be much less. He was right, $10 got me one with Eric's loveable mug on the front. At $40, he didn't look as attractive, to me...

I know Clapton did some dates not so long ago with Bramhall, Derek Trucks, Robert Cray and Robert Randolph. If it takes one of them taking some leads to light a fire back under his ass, I'm all for it.

The cost of concert related merch is as out of hand these days as is the price of tix. I don't really go to that many big shows any more (this summer being the exception with more artists touring that I'd like to see than normal) so I usually just pass on it.

I agree with both thoughts. I did see Clapton once before, with Roger Waters pros and cons. No one lit any fires that night, but maybe he was constrained by the material. There was a lot of pre-recorded nonsense thrown in, I seem to recall. But I haven't paid more than $60 for any show, before this. Hot Tuna is obviously my frequent choice - and two of the last (out of NY state) shows I saw them at were only $25.

Last two gigs were Bob Dylan on May 26, and Wayne Shorter on May 24. Shorter's band was absolutely incredible. They stringed all the songs together and played for about 80 mins straight, really complicated music too - many moments of sheer beauty. I hope to get a recording of that concert soon. Bob Dylan's band was good, a strong mixture of country, rockabilly and blues - they played Memphis Minnie's Levee - but on the other hand the folk roots of Dylan don't come through very much, at least arguably. Dylan's voice has never been strong, and certainly hasn't improved with age - but, as ever, it still works.

QUOTE (ledded1 @ May 9 2008, 08:04 PM) post_snapback.gifRobert Plant/Alison Krauss -Manchester

Next show attending -Robert Plant/Alison Krauss - Paris B)

I wish that could've been my answer.

I can finally say this now: :D

Last show: Robert Plant - NY

Next show: Robert Plant - MI

Concert of the year so far and one that will be extremely hard to top. Tonight it's Don Dixon in Raleigh, next week AthFest and R.E.M. in Atlanta for the last stop on their current U.S. tour.

R.E.M.

w/ The National & Modest Mouse

Tuesday, June 10th

Time Warner Cable Music Pavilion at Walnut Creek Amphitheatre

Raleigh, NC

Harbor Coat

Living Well's The Best Revenge

Bad Day

Whats the Frequency, Kenneth?

Man-Sized Wreath

Welcome To The Occupation

Accelerate

7 Chinese Brothers

Hollow Man

Imitation of Life

Houston

Electrolite

Walk Unafraid

The One I Love

Final Straw

Find The River

Let Me In

Horse To Water

Auctioneer (Another Engine)

Orange Crush

I'm Gonna DJ

Encore

Supernatural Superserious

Losing My Religion

Pretty Persuasion

Fall On Me (w/ Johnny Marr)

Sitting Still (w/ Mitch Easter and Don Dixon)

Man On The Moon

REMhq.com Tour blog for Raleigh (photos, video, commentary)

Review from Durham, NC's Independent Weekly Review

Raleigh, News & Observer Review

Edited by Jahfin

:beer: The Roy Wood rock 'n roll band, on Friday.

Good-time rock at its finest. A nine-piece band, including a bank of four sax players in traditional Roy Wood style. Great old favourites from The Move and Wizzard predominating, of course.

Roy can still do it like he always could, including the bagpipe solo, and you won't catch him sipping bottled water between songs either - it's bottled LAGER for him !

What a guy - still a good few miles in the tank as well, no worries ! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

:beer: The Roy Wood rock 'n roll band, on Friday.

Good-time rock at its finest. A nine-piece band, including a bank of four sax players in traditional Roy Wood style. Great old favourites from The Move and Wizzard predominating, of course.

Roy can still do it like he always could, including the bagpipe solo, and you won't catch him sipping bottled water between songs either - it's bottled LAGER for him !

What a guy - still a good few miles in the tank as well, no worries ! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Was that at the Robin? :)