What's the Last Concert You Attended?

Jahfin

:beer: THE HUB - last night at Whitmore Reans Cons Club, Wolverhampton.

A Mark Stanway promotion, featuring 2 sets of blues classics.

Mark Stanway (keyboard)

Mo Birch (vocals/percussion)

Robbie Blunt (Guitar)

Marc Michalski (vocals/bass)

Gwyn Ashton (vocals/guitar)

Kev Hickman (drums)

Not at all bad for 8 quid. :piano::guitar_mood::standup_bass::drumz:

Niiiiiiice :beer:

Not green with envy, not at all ;)

:beer: THE HUB - last night at Whitmore Reans Cons Club, Wolverhampton.

A Mark Stanway promotion, featuring 2 sets of blues classics.

Mark Stanway (keyboard)

Mo Birch (vocals/percussion)

Robbie Blunt (Guitar)

Marc Michalski (vocals/bass)

Gwyn Ashton (vocals/guitar)

Kev Hickman (drums)

Not at all bad for 8 quid. :piano::guitar_mood::standup_bass::drumz:

Only time I've heard Mo Birch was the 2007 Honeydrippers show, I was really impressed with her voice.

Lucky you - big Stamey fan and had the pleasure of casually knowing him many years back.

This was the first time I'd seen a complete show by them. Even then I didn't actually get to see it all since I got stuck in traffic on I-40 on the way. Still need to pick up their newest record.

2008-07-24_Lily_pond_at_Duke_Gardens_2.jpg

Lily pond at Duke Gardens

Two sets from the New Riders of the Purple Sage at the Pour House in Raleigh last night. The only two original members left are guitarist/vocalist David Nelson and pedal steel whiz Buddy Cage, everyone else has passed away. Including founding member John "Marmaduke" Dawson who just died a week or so ago. Still, they pulled it off and it was a great show, if not a bit more "jammy" than the N.R.P.S. concerts of yore. Mixed in with the old stuff was a healthy dose of new material from their latest record that fit in well. All the favorites were there: Panama Red, You Angel You, Henry, Lonesome L.A. Cowboy, etc. I'll certainly check them out again the next time they "breeze through town".

Two sets from the New Riders of the Purple Sage at the Pour House in Raleigh last night. The only two original members left are guitarist/vocalist David Nelson and pedal steel whiz Buddy Cage, everyone else has passed away. Including founding member John "Marmaduke" Dawson who just died a week or so ago. Still, they pulled it off and it was a great show, if not a bit more "jammy" than the N.R.P.S. concerts of yore. Mixed in with the old stuff was a healthy dose of new material from their latest record that fit in well. All the favorites were there: Panama Red, You Angel You, Henry, Lonesome L.A. Cowboy, etc. I'll certainly check them out again the next time they "breeze through town".

They're playing at the Birchmere this coming Wednesday with Commander Cody. We're going to try to make it...

They're playing at the Birchmere this coming Wednesday with Commander Cody. We're going to try to make it...

That oughta be a good one though I have to say I was less than impressed by the Commander the one and only time I've seen him (which was around 10 years ago now). Much more to my liking is former Lost Planet Airmen guitarist Bill Kirchen and his band Too Much Fun. Check 'em out if you haven't done so already:

The Big Surprise Tour in Cary, NC last night with Justin Townes Earle, the Dave Rawlings Machine (featuring Gillian Welch), the Felice Brothers and Old Crow Medicine Show. The heat was sweltering and so were the performances. As I'd read, there was no opening act, each band jammed together off and on throughout the evening and the setlists are different every night (thus, the "Big Surprise" name of the tour). Last night we got covers from Bob Dylan, Neil Young, the Replacements and more. Damn good stuff and highly recommended if this tour is rolling through your town.

I went on vacation recently and saw Coldplay in Toronto, Canada and AC/DC in Montreal, Canada.

First Coldplay: I am not a bid fan or even somewhat of a fan. I simply when because of my wife. Yeah they have some good stuff (only what I hear on the radio or see on tv). I am sure as hell a fan now. I was completely blown away by their performance. All the yellow balloons falling from the ceiling during Yellow. The acoustic set in the middle of the audiance and just the shear brilliance in their performance. I was surprised how some of their songs are somewhat heavy.

The second half of my vacation only got better. Now on to AC/DC. I posted this already in the AC/DC thread, but I'll add it here too. AC/DC were f**king amazing. I am blown away by the fact that these 50-60 year old men can maintain such a high energy show for a couple of hours. They had canons firing, giant blow up doll, fireworks, fire, smoke, and a whole lot more. Even if all the flashy stage props were taken away, the music alone was fantastic. I prefer Bon over Brian any day, but I have to give credit to Brian for handling the songs from the Bon Scott era. I have numerous live concerts with Brian, but to actually hear him sing live was amazing. I am actually planning to go again. I strongly recommend seeing them if you can.

I went to the Stratford Summer Music concerts(s)on Sat but had to leave part way through most of the performances..just too hot to sit for any length of time...the event did appear to be very successful for the town and organizers...

I saw one outdoor performance where a trio walked around singing while holding cell phones...this art piece was called CELL LIFE part of the Guerilla Sound Events designed by Peter Hatch..it was different..

http://www.stratfordsummermusic.ca/

Edited by Juliet

White Rabbits with the Fiery Furnaces at the Cat's Cradle. As far as I knew, the Fiery Furnaces were the headliner but when the show started they were the ones opening. I later found out they're switching out the headlining slot with White Rabbits every other night of this tour. While I enjoyed White Rabbits it sure would have been nice to know that bit of info beforehand. I was told it was mentioned on the Fiery Furnaces' website but so far I haven't been able to find any mention of it there. Still, a great show with lots of stuff from their newest record, I'm Going Away.

Saw Hot Tuna, with Little Feat, on Sunday. It was an electric set, and the new drummer Scoota Warner seemed to give them extra energy. Jorma brought out a new Les Paul guitar for a few songs, and shook noises out of the neck like he was strangling a goose. Jack Casady was magnificant, as usual.

Saw Hot Tuna, with Little Feat, on Sunday. It was an electric set, and the new drummer Scoota Warner seemed to give them extra energy. Jorma brought out a new Les Paul guitar for a few songs, and shook noises out of the neck like he was strangling a goose. Jack Casady was magnificant, as usual.

They're playing the Cat's Cradle in Carrboro, NC soon but I've got so many concerts on my plate lately I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to make it. I sure would love to though. I was practically raised on this record:

Hot_Tuna_Burgers.jpg

They're playing the Cat's Cradle in Carrboro, NC soon but I've got so many concerts on my plate lately I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to make it. I sure would love to though. I was practically raised on this record:

Hot_Tuna_Burgers.jpg

You sure do see alot of shows, from looking at your posts! I'm not so lucky, so I stay with the group that's never disappointed me for the one or two I get to go to each year. They played "99 Year Blues" the other day - Jack usually does a bass solo during this song. "True Religion", "Water Song", and "Ode to Billie Dean" are staples in their sets from that album, too. Thanks for showing your appreciation - it's nice to see someone who keeps up with so many musicians has a special place in their heart for "my boys"!

You sure do see alot of shows, from looking at your posts! I'm not so lucky, so I stay with the group that's never disappointed me for the one or two I get to go to each year. They played "99 Year Blues" the other day - Jack usually does a bass solo during this song. "True Religion", "Water Song", and "Ode to Billie Dean" are staples in their sets from that album, too. Thanks for showing your appreciation - it's nice to see someone who keeps up with so many musicians has a special place in their heart for "my boys"!

My love for music is one of several reasons I moved to Raleigh last year. This past year has been a particularly rough one for me so taking in as much music as possible (live and otherwise) is but one means of feeding my soul and keeping my spirits up. With very few exceptions most of the artists I go to see are on a national touring level or else are musicians who play locally pretty frequently (sometimes with no cover). Hot Tuna is on my long list of folks I hope to see that I never have. I finally marked the New Riders of the Purple Sage off of that list earlier this month and am about to do the same with Alice Cooper and U2 in the months to come.

My love for music is one of several reasons I moved to Raleigh last year. This past year has been a particularly rough one for me so taking in as much music as possible (live and otherwise) is but one means of feeding my soul and keeping my spirits up. With very few exceptions most of the artists I go to see are on a national touring level or else are musicians who play locally pretty frequently (sometimes with no cover). Hot Tuna is on my long list of folks I hope to see that I never have. I finally marked the New Riders of the Purple Sage off of that list earlier this month and am about to do the same with Alice Cooper and U2 in the months to come.

I can relate to that, but my wife's medical conditions require me to stay near home. I think the best way to see Tuna is when they do a combined electric / acoustic show, but currently they do one or the other. If you go to Jorma's website, he has a diary that stores all the setlists you can expect for either. I think the upcoming show by you would be all electric, so it might get a little "jammy". They had a reputation as a very loud band, but I think that comes from when they played bigger venues in their heyday. Keep enjoying whoever you see!

I can relate to that, but my wife's medical conditions require me to stay near home. I think the best way to see Tuna is when they do a combined electric / acoustic show, but currently they do one or the other. If you go to Jorma's website, he has a diary that stores all the setlists you can expect for either. I think the upcoming show by you would be all electric, so it might get a little "jammy". They had a reputation as a very loud band, but I think that comes from when they played bigger venues in their heyday. Keep enjoying whoever you see!

Much love to your wife. I feel pretty fortunate to be able to feed my addiction. Thing is, living up here in the midst of it is like mainlining it. If I went to all of the shows I really wanted to I'd be broke and in jail.

Thanks for the info on the Hot Tuna shows, I'll look into it though I'm sure I'd be more than pleased just to see 'em in any configuration.

I saw Keith Urban with Sugarland last night in Charlottesville VA (John Paul Jones Arena) and it was fantastic! I wasn't that familiar with Sugarland, thought they were a little twangy for me, but they were very entertaining and I think I am a convert now. Jennifer Nettles has a very powerful voice.

Keith was great; I didn't realize he was such an amazing guitarist. There were 5 guitarists altogether, including Keith and the bass.

Both groups were very engaged with the audience too. Keith performed almost half his set from a podium at the back of the floor, and from one or 2 other spots on the floor as well. Lots of hand shaking and guitar pick/drumstick tossing.

Sugarland came on at 7:30; there was only about a 30 minute break between sets and Keith played until 11 (2 encores). Appeared to be a full house, too.

Keith was great; I didn't realize he was such an amazing guitarist. There were 5 guitarists altogether, including Keith and the bass.

artist_main_brice09.jpg

One of those guitarists is North Carolina's own Brad Rice who has played in the bands of several local artists including Whiskeytown, the Backsliders, Ryan Adams and most recently, Tift Merritt. He was also in the revised lineup of Son Volt for a short period. Can't say I'm a fan of either Sugarland or Keith Urban's brand of "country" but I am very glad for Brad.