What's the Last Concert You Attended?

Jahfin

artist_main_brice09.jpg

One of those guitarists is North Carolina's own Brad Rice who has played in the bands of several local artists including Whiskeytown, the Backsliders, Ryan Adams and most recently, Tift Merritt. He was also in the revised lineup of Son Volt for a short period. Can't say I'm a fan of either Sugarland or Keith Urban's brand of "country" but I am very glad for Brad.

Yes! he introduced Brad and the other band members during the concert. Each guitarist got to sing a few bars of something when they were introduced (drummer didn't sing); all of them had great voices (sorry I can't remember what Brad sang though, but none sang Keith songs).

The Huguenots

w/ the Stars Explode

Tir Na Nog

Thursday, August 27th

Raleigh, NC

The Bottle Rockets

w/ the Olympic Ass Kickin' Team

Berkeley Cafe

Friday, August 28th

Raleigh, NC

The Small Ponds

Pour House Music Hall

Friday, August 28th

Raleigh, NC

Drive-By Truckers

Visulite Theatre

Saturday, August 29th

Charlotte, NC

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Steve Wynn IV/The Baseball Project/The Minus Five at the Cat's Cradle in Carrboro. There was no opening act, just two sets by Steve Wynn, Scott McCaughey, Peter Buck and Linda Pitmon that drew from the catalogs of all of the participants. Peter Holsapple of the dB's was in attendance and joined the band onstage for several songs, including The Ballad of John & Yoko. Hands down the best show I've seen this year. By all means don't miss it if it comes to your town.

Hey, I was just coming on here to say I saw Blink 182 too...what a coinkydink! And I agree with the review - pretty good, nothing spectacular, except for Travis and the crazy-ass drum platform. Love that guy. They weren't as funny as they were back in the day, but they warmed up toward the end of the show. They played their instruments a TON better than the 3 other times I saw them, though, so that was nice for a change.

They played too many new songs I didn't know; they could have at least done a couple more off Enema of the State, which is their best-selling album, after all. I know Dude Ranch and Cheshire Cat are too old-school for most people, so I wasn't expecting a ton of those songs (but they DID play Carousel - heck yeah!), but they could've mixed it up a little more between their last 3 albums instead of playing soooo much off the last one (which came out like 4 or 5 years ago, so it's not like they have to seriously promote it). Anyway, it was a nice "high school reunion" feeling being there with my buddies at the hometown show and all.

Alice Cooper's Theatre of Death show in Durham last night. 7th Avenue Vampires with Dennis Dunaway opened. If this show is coming anywhere near you by all means don't miss it. I waited nearly a lifetime to see him in concert. It turned out to be everything I hoped for and more.

I was just wandering in the downtown section of my city here in Atlantic Canada. We have a street here called George Street, which has the second largest amount of pubs/club/bars on one street (other than Bourbon Street in New Orleans). Several time a year certain festival are held where the street is closed to traffic (pedestrians only) and drinking occurs on the street. I just happen to be there 2 weeks and there was a Bid Light Lime Festival where there were several bands playing, the most notable was THE TREWS (a band from Nova Scotia, Canada). Very good band and they put on a great show as usual (seen them 4 times already).

I was just wandering in the downtown section of my city here in Atlantic Canada. We have a street here called George Street, which has the second largest amount of pubs/club/bars on one street (other than Bourbon Street in New Orleans). Several time a year certain festival are held where the street is closed to traffic (pedestrians only) and drinking occurs on the street. I just happen to be there 2 weeks and there was a Bid Light Lime Festival where there were several bands playing, the most notable was THE TREWS (a band from Nova Scotia, Canada). Very good band and they put on a great show as usual (seen them 4 times already).

I saw the Trews in Austin a few years ago. Great band live!

KEITH URBAN

Lady Antebellum

The John Labatt Centre

October 1, 2009.

I decided late in the day to go to the concert. I wanted a seat fairly close to the front which meant it was more expensive..little did I know I was given a side seating seat. They should call it rear seating as I saw more rears than sides :lol:

Lady Antebellum opened the show. A trio with one female and two males plus a 3 pc back-up. I thought they were from Canada. In the foyer there were T-shirts with a red leaf and the words, "Lady,eh?" In any case they are not Canadian but hail from the US..mainly Nashville. Their set was interesting. What is an Antebellum anyhow? I did a Google search. It comes for the Latin words ante meaning before and bellum meaning war. The Antebellum age represents a time in US history between the time it was born up to the civil war..

Next on the bill was a young fellow by the name of Keith Urban. The whole stage was used for his show. He and his bandmates played the hits as well as tunes from the new cd, Defying Gravity. There was a person filming throughout the show. Big screens showed not only the band but people in the audience mostly glamourous young females...including blonde twins in tank tops..or perhaps I saw double..considering my seating..that's possible!!!!

Keith did a rather unusual thing. He left the stage and went to the other end of the Centre to a ministage. He said, "Now who has the best seats? Keith..that wasn't a very nice thing to say to us overcharged side seated people at the other end...Shame on you!!!! I doubt John Mellancamp would ever make such a statement..

Well...I just couldn't sit through the whole show..his ballads and long guitar solos were putting me to sleep...and I did have an excellent sleep last night..the best I've had in....weeks, months...maybe even centuries :)

Juliet :coffee:

PS In the review today it was rumoured Nicole Kidman,his wife, flew in to join him ...I did see a plane landing as I was driving into London. If she was there I didn't see her from my side seat which gave me not only a view of the stage, big screens, backs of the artists but also the crowd..very interesting vantage point.

PSS Jahfin..thanks for the pic..Brad did turn and face us side sitters more than once...Keith did come over and walk up a platform so fans on that side of the Centre could see him better..

Edited by Juliet

Saw U2 last night in Charlottesville VA; what an amazing show! :) Not only the music, but the stage/light show were unbelievable. We were up really high, but that was actually good, because we could see the whole stage show. Absolutely fantastic!!

Setlist: http://www.u2gigs.com/article566.html

Some footage: http://www.newsplex.com/video?clipID=4179588&autoStart=true&contentID=63276697

Muse was great too; we were unfamiliar before the show but we really enjoyed them.

Alice In Chains, Roseland Theatre in Portland, OR last Saturday.

They were absolutely amazing. And so is their new album, by the way.

A friend of mine saw them in DC and said the same thing. The cuts I've heard off the new album I've liked a lot. I need to get the full thing!

I saw Keith Urban with Sugarland last night in Charlottesville VA (John Paul Jones Arena) and it was fantastic! I wasn't that familiar with Sugarland, thought they were a little twangy for me, but they were very entertaining and I think I am a convert now. Jennifer Nettles has a very powerful voice.

Keith was great; I didn't realize he was such an amazing guitarist. There were 5 guitarists altogether, including Keith and the bass.

Both groups were very engaged with the audience too. Keith performed almost half his set from a podium at the back of the floor, and from one or 2 other spots on the floor as well. Lots of hand shaking and guitar pick/drumstick tossing.

Sugarland came on at 7:30; there was only about a 30 minute break between sets and Keith played until 11 (2 encores). Appeared to be a full house, too.

Virginia:

Glad you had a great time..Keith is in Toronto tonight at the ACC

Juliet :wave:

PS Sugarland was supposed to be in London this year but the show has been postponed to 2010...

Edited by Juliet

Hey, I was just coming on here to say I saw Blink 182 too...what a coinkydink! And I agree with the review - pretty good, nothing spectacular, except for Travis and the crazy-ass drum platform. Love that guy. They weren't as funny as they were back in the day, but they warmed up toward the end of the show. They played their instruments a TON better than the 3 other times I saw them, though, so that was nice for a change.

They played too many new songs I didn't know; they could have at least done a couple more off Enema of the State, which is their best-selling album, after all. I know Dude Ranch and Cheshire Cat are too old-school for most people, so I wasn't expecting a ton of those songs (but they DID play Carousel - heck yeah!), but they could've mixed it up a little more between their last 3 albums instead of playing soooo much off the last one (which came out like 4 or 5 years ago, so it's not like they have to seriously promote it). Anyway, it was a nice "high school reunion" feeling being there with my buddies at the hometown show and all.

Yeah I completely agree. I bought their latest one (which came out in 04 I believe) a couple of days before the show, and I was surprised that they played so much from it. Carousel was nice, and Josie was a surprise (since they didnt play it the first time I saw them in 2002).

Going back to the thread, I saw Kiss last night at the Air Canada Centre, and it was amazing! Definitely exceeded my expectations, I can't possibly imagine how good they were live in the 1974-77 era.

U2 with Muse at Carter-Finley Stadium in Raleigh, NC on Saturday, October 3rd. Very outstanding stage presentation but I still wish I had seen them when I first had a chance to when they played Kenan Stadium on the War tour back in 1983.

Metallica Cleveland

I went to Metallica at Cleveland's Quicken Arena yesterday.

It was great!

I liked the set list from Cinci on September 15th better. Alot of more mainstream songs in Cinci. The Cleveland setlist had more rare songs. My son liked the Cleveland songs best.

I took alot of pictures and will post them later.

This is a good review of the concert. Pretty accurate description.

1. That Was Just Your Life
  2. The End Of The Line
  3. Harvester Of Sorrow
  4. The Shortest Straw
  5. Fade To Black
  6. Broken, Beat And Scarred
  7. Cyanide
  8. Sad But True
  9. One
  10. The Judas Kiss
  11. The Day That Never Comes
  12. Master Of Puppets
  13. Dyers Eve
  14. Nothing Else Matters
  15. Enter Sandman

Encore:

1. Last Caress (Misfits cover)
  2. Hit The Lights
  3. Seek & Destroy

Edited by BUCK'EYE' DOC

Metallica Cleveland

I went to Metallica at Cleveland's Quicken Arena yesterday.

It was great!

I liked the set list from Cinci on September 15th better. Alot of more mainstream songs in Cinci. The Cleveland setlist had more rare songs. My son liked the Cleveland songs best.

I took alot of pictures and will post them later.

This is a good review of the concert. Pretty accurate description.

1. That Was Just Your Life
  2. The End Of The Line
  3. Harvester Of Sorrow
  4. The Shortest Straw
  5. Fade To Black
  6. Broken, Beat And Scarred
  7. Cyanide
  8. Sad But True
  9. One
  10. The Judas Kiss
  11. The Day That Never Comes
  12. Master Of Puppets
  13. Dyers Eve
  14. Nothing Else Matters
  15. Enter Sandman

Encore:

1. Last Caress (Misfits cover)
  2. Hit The Lights
  3. Seek & Destroy

It sounds like a great kick ass concert to me! Great description! ROF my dear!

It sounds like a great kick ass concert to me! Great description! ROF my dear!

I saw them in 2001. They put on an amazing show. They really work hard. I was pregnant at the time and that little guy moved around the whole concert!

Such an awesome memory.

Hi imPLANTed and ZFF,

I guess that I am a relatively new fan of Metallica, and I don't know all of their material.

But die-hard Metallica fans like my son were really pleased with the Cleveland set list and the rare songs.

I think that my son said that alot of the rarely played songs were from And Justice For All album, if I remember correctly, as it was 4 AM when I got home from the concert, and I am not sure what he told me. I didn't recognize alot of the songs, but I did like them all. I did like the Cincinnati set list best, as they played For Whom The Bell Tolls, Master of Puppets, and The Unforgiven .

As the article that I referenced said, the PA system malfunctioned, and it had to be fixed during one of the songs, one of the slower, more intricate numbers, if I remember. They had to lower one of the coffin light fixtures down, and two guys rode it back up to the rafters to fix the problem. It looked cool to see them riding up on it. I am posting a photo (not the greatest) of the guys on the coffin. The downside was that they didn't perform the coffin light show (where the coffins zoom around the stage). Probably because they just left those two guys up on the rafters after they fixed the PA and didn't want to knock them off, as those coffins really swing around alot.

Here are some pics. We were in the nose-bleed seats, so not the greatest with my little camera.

DSC01526.jpg

DSC01588.jpg

DSC01597.jpg

Guys on the Coffin.

DSC01602.jpg

Edited by BUCK'EYE' DOC

Here is a photo of Them Crooked Vultures that I managed to sneak past the tight camera security at the October 6th Columbus concert. It was the end where JPJ is taking a bow. I figured that they could kick me out then if they caught me as the concert was over, LOL. Not the greatest pic, but the best that I could manage.

DSC01524.jpg